Rolled Walnut Baklava
By shahdan • July 3, 2015
Perfect for entertaining, delicate and crispy, this rolled baklava is so hard to resist! The bite-size pieces look sophisticated, yet they are so easy to prepare! All you need to do is brush 3 filo sheets with butter (one at a time), then roll! Fill them with your favourite nuts, or roll them empty, if this is what you prefer. If you try this recipe once, you will find yourself doing it all the time. It’s much easier than you think! But the key is to leave the filo pastry to defrost thoroughly before you open the pack, so the sheets don’t break when you try to separate them. A typical Egyptian filo pack will have 10 sheets which will allow you to have three rolls.
- 1 pack filo pastry - جلاش
- 1 stick butter (100 grams) - زبدة
- 1/2 cup walnut - عين جمل / جوز
- 1 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder (plus a little extra to sprinkle at the end) - قرفة
- 2 cup sugar - سكر
- 1 cup water - ماء
- 1/4 lime - ليمون بلدي
Step by step
- For the syrup, heat sugar and water over medium heat. When the mixture boils, lower the heat and leave to simmer for about 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Add the juice of 1/4 lime and turn off the heat.
- For the filling, mix the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon (preferably in a bag) and crush the bag to slightly break up the walnuts. You may also use a food processor if you prefer your nuts smaller and the baklava thinner.
- Melt the butter in a pan over very low heat, then pour in a bowl and have your brush ready.
- You will need a clean flat work surface to prepare your baklava. Lay out one sheet of filo on your work surface, and brush it with melted butter. Next, top it with a second sheet and brush, followed by a third sheet and brush it as well.
- Put some of the filling along the edge of the 3-tiered buttered filo pastry (as per photo) and roll it till the end, then put aside to start the next roll.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the rolls diagonally into 8- 10 pieces per roll. Brush with more butter then arrange in a lightly greased oven tray.
- Bake your baklava in a pre-heated 180C oven for 30 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Sprinkle with a little cinnamon, then carefully pour your preferred amount of cooled syrup over the hot baklava. Arrange in a dish and serve!
Dark Chocolate Almond Clusters
These heavenly Chocolate Almond Clusters will be your new favourite treat... and all you really...
Scrumptious Homemade Pretzels
Did you know that yummy pretzels can be baked from your leftover pizza dough? Yes – this is for...
Couscous Salad with Vegetables & Herbs
A colourful side dish, full of texture and flavour! Serve it with your favourite grilled meat...
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]