By Nelly Abuarqub • December 27, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
This is a highly recommended recipe for dessert lovers. It is not too sweet yet creamy with a sticky bottom. The flavors of the orange blossom and rose water with the cream and syrup are so special and authentic, your heart just melts with the taste. We preferred adding about a heaped tablespoon more cream (I guess the Egyptian in us!) helps it melt further in the mouth. If you are not a fan of strong flavors, consider putting 1-1.5 tablespoons rose water and orange blossom instead. In all cases, you've got a straight win on your table! Thanks Nelly.
A sweet and juicy bread base is covered with a thick layer of creamy milk pudding, flavoured with traditional Middle Eastern aromas and topped with luscious green pistachios. The textures and flavours in this dessert will leave you drooling! A must-try!
This dessert is from Nelly Abuarqub’s kitchen. After serving her very special traditional Palestinian Maklouba (find the recipe here), this is the dessert that she surprised us with. We could not resist asking for the recipe. It is very easy to prepare and is an absolutely delicious dessert on your table.
For best results, prepare it one day in advance! (Which makes it a great option for big dinner parties, when you need to focus on lots of other dishes on the day!) You will need a large Pyrex, 35 x25 cm.
- 1 liter milk (4 cups) - لبن
- 4 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 4 tablespoon corn flour - نشا
- 2 small mastic / mesteka (crushed) - مستكة
- 2 tablespoon rose water - ماء الورد
- 2 tablespoon Orange Blossom Water - ماء الزهر
- 170 gram cream (recommended: can of Puck cream) - قشطة
- 10-12 slice toast (edges removed) - توست
- 1 handful pistachios (to garnish) - فستق
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder (optional) - قرفة
- 2 cup sugar - سكر
- 1 cup water - ماء
Step by step
- Toast white toast slices (after you trim the edges) on both sides until golden in an oven. Then arrange it in the pyrex, making sure all base is completely covered with one layer of toast.
- To prepare the syrup, heat sugar and water on medium heat. When it boils, lower the heat and leave to simmer for about 15 minutes until slightly thickened. Stir occasionally to make sure the sugar does not stick on the sides of the pot and burn. Turn off the heat and set aside for 5 minutes so it's not too hot to handle.
- Using a ladle, carefully spoon the warm syrup over the toast, making sure all pieces absorb the syrup evenly. Set aside.
- In a pot, whisk the corn flour with the cold milk making sure the corn flour dissolves. Stir in sugar and mastic (off the heat).
- Place the pot on low/medium heat and stir continuously (so it doesn't stick in the bottom of pot and burn) until the milk thickens. You need the consistency of milk pudding (mehallabeyya). This should take about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat then add rose water, orange blossom water, and cream. Stir until the cream dissolves, then pour it over the toast in the pyrex (making sure it is evenly distributed).
- Leave to cool, then put the pyrex in the fridge for a couple of hours. For best results, leave it in the fridge overnight.
- Sprinkle with crushed pistachios and a little cinnamon (optional) and serve cold.
Butter & Garlic Carrot Bites
From 12 months. The best solution to help toddlers (from 1 year) feed themselves is to provide...
Vegetable Glass Noodles
Who wouldn't like a bowl of Asian Glass noodles with luscious fresh vegetables? It is perfect and...
Pumpkin Mini Muffins
Recipe in Arabic مافين القرع العسلي These super yummy pumpkin muffins are one of...
Classic 1-2-3-4 Marble Cake
Classic 1-2-3-4 cake is the first cake I learned to bake with my mother. As a child, I really appreciated the fact that the cake name helped me memorise and learn the basic cake proportions by heart: ONE for 1 cup milk and 1 cup butter, TWO for 2 cups sugar, THREE for 3 cups […]
Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins
Perfect for our daily chocolate cravings, these (refined-sugar-free) Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins are not only moist and rich, but they also carry lots of clean & healthy ingredients inside them. They make the perfect snack for grown-ups and kids alike. This recipe is super easy to prepare, because all the ingredients are simply mixed […]
Sweet Potato Dessert with Croquant
This Sweet Potato Dessert is a very special dish for special occasions. It is not a light one, but it will sure impress all your guests. This is not our own recipe, it was passed on from a friend, but we tried, tested and loved!
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]