Mixed Bean Salad
By shahdan • July 18, 2016
The Mixed Bean Salad is perfect for everyday and large gatherings espeically summer barbecues. It is a great option when the weather is too hot for lettuce.
It is healthier to cook the beans at home (after soaking them overnight), however, canned beans make a good alternative on busy days.
For best results, refrigerate the salad for a few hours or overnight after adding the dressing allowing the flavors to combine.
- 300 gram green beans (fresh) - فاصوليا خضراء
- 1 can white beans (400 gram cannellini beans) - فاصوليا بيضاء
- 1 can red kidney beans (400 gram) - فاصوليا حمراء
- 1 medium red onion - بصلة حمراء
- 3 tablespoon coriander (chopped) - كزبرة
- 6 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil - زيت الزيتون بكر
- 3 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 1 medium lime - ليمون بلدي
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard - مسطردة ديجون
- 1.5 teaspoon honey - عسل
- 1/4 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1 pinch black pepper - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- Mix dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Wash green beans, cut off their edges, then cut them in half.
- Boil water in a large pot. Add green beans and let them simmer over low heat for 3-4 minutes. Rinse with fresh cold water to retain their fresh green colour. Put in the serving bowl and set aside.
- Empty bean cans in a large sieve. Rinse them with fresh water then add to the green beans.
- Slice onion to thin half circles and add them with the chopped coriander to the mixed beans serving bowl.
- Add dressing, mix gently, and let it cool in the fridge until it's serving time. You can prepare this salad up to one day in advance. Taste and adjust salt & pepper before serving.
The Perfectly Roasted Quail
Impress your guests with this super easy-to-follow roasted quail dish. All you need to do...
Light One-Pot Okra
This is the vegan version of my mother's 'nayy fe nayy bamia'. While she uses stock, I like to...
Eggplant Upside-Down Fatta
Eggplants, yoghurt, garlic and golden crispy bread are just a match made in heaven. Every eggplant...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]