Coffee-Rubbed Beef Fillet Chunk
By yasmine • May 10, 2015
Yes, coffee! It’s bitter, it creates a beautiful crust to the meat and most importantly the recipe is super-easy…with a twist!
Choose your favourite type of coffee to create your own unique coffee rub – the freshly grinded the better! I preferred the typical Turkish coffee بن محوج – cause it usually has cumin and some Arabic spices mixed in already.
- 1.5 - 2 kg beef fillet (1 piece) - فيليه كندوز
- 2 tablespoon coffee (powdered) - قهوة
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (or 3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic) - بودرة ثوم
- 1 tablespoon salt - ملح
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- olive oil (for cooking) - زيت زيتون
Step by step
- Make sure your veal is at room temperature before attempting to cook it. Mix the coffee, garlic, salt and pepper to create a rich rub. Then rub the defrosted veal chunk all over with it.
- If you like your meat medium or well-done, preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Put olive oil in a large pan on medium heat then fry the veal chunk on all sides for 5 to 10 minutes until browned.
- For rare doneness, lower the heat and continue frying while turning on all sides for another 10 minutes. If you prefer your meat cooked medium, place it in the oven for another 10-15 minutes and up to 25 minutes for well-done. Please try the finger test for meat doneness to be sure since each oven varies.
- Once the meat is cooked, cover it with foil or parchment paper and let it rest up to 30 minutes before you serve it or cut into it. We like to serve it as a whole chunk on a wooden board so the guests enjoy cutting their own pieces according to doneness and size.
Date & Almond Qatayef
Date & Almond Qatayef marries two traditional Ramadani ingredients into a mouthful of...
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw...
Annabell’s Famous Banana & Avocado Mix
From 7 months. This mixture made the infamous Annabella Karmel famous among all mothers. It is an...
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.