Sweet Potato Dessert with Croquant
By CairoCooking • April 7, 2020
This Sweet Potato Dessert is a very special dish for special occasions. It is not a light one, but it will sure impress all your guests.
This is not our own recipe, it was passed on from a friend, but we tried, tested and loved!
- 2 kg sweet potato - بطاطا
- 150 gram butter - زبدة
- 3/4 cup sugar - سكر
- 1 cup sugar (for croquant) - سكر
Step by step
- Wash and bake whole sweet potatoes in 180C oven until soft. Leave until cool enough to handle.
- Use your hands to peel the sweet potatoes and place the flesh in a bowl. Add butter and sugar and mix well while sweet potato is still warm. Transfer to serving pyrex.
- For the croquant, place one cup sugar in. pot and heat until golden. Drizzle over the sweet potato to create a very thin layer (make sure this layer is thin enough because it will be crunchy.)
- Bake in a 170C oven for 30- 40 minutes. Serve warm or cold with ice cream or cream.
Homemade Creamy Date Syrup
This two-ingredient replacement to sugar, honey and all artificial sweeteners, is to die for! You...
Comforting Potato & Leek Soup
Potatoes and leeks are a match made in heaven. The creaminess of potatoes mixed with the mild...
Light Garlic Green Beans with Pine Nuts
A change to traditional green beans recipes, these garlicky green beans with pine nuts make a...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]