Spinach & Cheese Pie
By shahdan • January 22, 2017
The Spinach and Cheese Pie is crispy from the outside and smooth(almost creamy) from the inside with a tasty cheesy yet fresh taste. It is perfect as a side veggie dish for your everyday lunch as well as for big gatherings.
This recipe serves 4-6. For bigger dinner parties, you will need to double the filling and puff pastry (you will need one full pack for the base and a second pack for the upper layer).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 small onion (diced) - بصلة
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 300 gram spinach (roughly chopped) - سبانخ
- 100 gram feta cheese - جبنه فيتا
- 125 gram ricotta cheese - جبن ريكوتا
- 2 large eggs - بيض
- 4 tablespoon cheddar cheese (grated) - جبن شيدر
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1 pack puff pastry (400g) - عجينة الباف باستري
- 1 tablespoon flour (for dusting) - دقيق
Step by step
- Make sure your puff pastry and frozen spinach (if you're not using fresh) are thoroughly defrosted.
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot and sauté onions on low heat until soft (about 5 minutes). Add minced garlic and washed fresh spinach. Cover the pot and let it cook until spinach is wilted (about 3 minutes). Take spinach off heat and place it in a sieve over a bowl. Use a fork to press on the spinach to squeeze out any juices from the spinach. Discard the water.
- In the meantime, mix ricotta and crumbled feta cheese in a medium bowl then add nutmeg, pepper, oregano, grated cheddar cheese.
- Beat eggs in a separate bowl, then add to the cheese mixture leaving 1 tablespoon behind to use later for brushing the pie. Make sure to mix the cheese filling well before adding the wilted spinach.
- Finally, stir in the cooled spinach to the cheese-egg mixture until well-combined.
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a large oven tray with parchment paper.
- Lightly dust a clean working surface and a rolling pin with flour. Roll out the dough into a rectangle shape about 25x35cm. It does not need to be perfect at all. Carefully move the dough to the tray.
- Fill only half the dough surface with the spinach cheese mixture leaving about 1 cm around the edges clean.
- Fold the empty dough half over the filled half and press the edges with the back of a fork to seal it. It doesn't matter if its horizontal or vertical.
- Brush the pie with the remaining beaten egg, and use a knife to make 3 small diagonal cuts in the top layer to release the air while baking.
- Bake for 20 minutes until puffed and golden. Serve warm.
Oriental Mezza: Lupini & Chickpeas
A typical Egyptian mezza platter that is healthy, nutritious and filling. This platter is so easy...
Hearty Chicken Strips with Carrots & Potatoes
This Chicken Strips with Carrot & Potato Cubes dish was inspired by an old Egyptian recipe...
Delicious Breakfast: Millet Porridge with Dates & Blueberries
Millet has replaced oats in my book for some time now. I love the texture of it, it tastes more...
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]
Quick Homemade Pizza
You only need three main ingredients, (and about five minutes) to prepare this pizza dough for the quickest & most delicious homemade pizza. No kneading and no waiting time is required for the dough. Just mix the ingredients together, roll the dough out and get ready to add your favourite toppings. This recipe also includes […]
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]