Roasted Turmeric Chicken
By shahdan • November 16, 2015
The Roasted Turmeric Chicken has bold flavours, vibrant colours, moist chicken, sweet veggies, and creamy potatoes… This is home-cooked comfort food at its best!
- 1 kg chicken thighs - أوراك الدجاج
- 2 large onion - بصلة
- 2 large potatoes - بطاطس
- 3 large carrots - جزر
- 3 medium spring onion - بصلة خضراء
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (a full tsp. of good quality turmeric) - كركم
- 3 cardamom - حبهان
- 2 medium bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 2 large garlic clove (crushed) - فص ثوم
- 2 drizzle olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/4 cup cooking cream - كريم الطهي
- 2 tablespoon coriander (chopped, to garnish) - كزبرة
Step by step
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into cubes. Chop the carrots and the spring onions.
- In a plastic bag, mix the chopped veggies with a little salt, pepper, 2 crushed cloves of garlic and a drizzle olive oil. Close the bag and rub the veggies together to coat and season well.
- In a large oven-proof dish, season the chicken with the remaining salt and pepper. Add the turmeric, cardamoms, bay leaves, garlic powder, 2 chopped onions, a drizzle olive oil and rub them together so the chicken is nicely coated.
- Add the veggies around the chicken and cover the dish with foil. Bake for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 15 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Add a splash of cream and fresh coriander to garnish. Serve immediately. Best served with white Egyptian rice.
Light Sharkaseya & Chicken Dish
This is a simple and straightforward (and light) recipe for traditional Sharkaseya... Recipe by...
Quick Coconut Chicken Curry
The Coconut Chicken Curry is a favourite in our house and my quick go-to dish on busy days. It...
Egyptian White Rice
Cooking simple white rice can be quite challenging for lots of people. This is a simple recipe that...
One Pot Chicken Freekeh
A one-pot meal, this chicken freekeh will be your favourite go to when you want a hearty and delicious meal the whole family will enjoy. You can also serve it in a gathering since it looks lovely in a big dish. Heartwarming, wholesome and delicious the Chicken Freekeh is definitely
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken & Chickpea Fatta
Flavourful chicken slices and lemony chickpeas are served over a bed of sumac-seasoned crispy bread and covered with a rich garlicky yoghurt-tahini sauce. This is an easy yet super tasty version of everyone’s favourite fatta. For best results, make sure the yoghurt is at room temperature before assembling the dish. This will ensure that the […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]