Fennel & Potato Soup – the ultimate winter warm up!
By yasmine • June 24, 2015
The warmth of the potato creaminess and the crispiness of the fennel as well as its subtle sweetness can transform your cold winter nights into a warm and hearty cuddle. It is heavy soup that is better enjoyed as a snack or pair it with a light side dish (I served it next to some kobeba and sambousak).
Best served in front of a fire place and a romantic movie!
- 1 stem fennel - شمر او فونوكيا
- 4 medium potatoes (peeled and diced) - بطاطس
- 2 stick green onion (diced) - بصل أخضر
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 drizzle olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/2 cup cooking cream (optional) - كريم الطهي
- 4 cup chicken broth/stock (or 1 stock cube to 4 cups hot water) - مرقة دجاج
- 1-2 piece arabic gum (known as mesteka) - مستكة
- generous salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- On a medium heat, melt the butter in a medium pot and add the green onions and arabic gum.
- In a couple of minutes, stir in the chopped fennel and some salt and pepper, followed by the diced potatoes and the olive oil.
- Give this whole mix a toss and add the warm chicken stock to cover the vegetables. Bring it all to a boil, add some more salt and pepper, put down the heat and cover.
- Once the potatoes are cooked through (about 20 minutes), blend the whole mix with hand mixer or in the kitchen blender.
- Stir in some cooking cream before serving and garnish with a couple of green onion dices.
Asian Quinoa Salad
This salad is so flavourful and full of nutrient-dense ingredients. Quinoa is a great substitute...
Stir-Fried Garlic & Ginger Bok Choy
Bok Choi to me was a scary cabbage that I didn’t know how to use or add to my salads since it has...
Thai Shrimp Curry
Easy, exotic, and heavenly... Cook this dish to wow your guests or to treat your loved ones with...
Broccoli and Avocado Soup
Creamy, refreshing and so easy to prepare, the Broccoli and Avocado Soup is packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It will be your new favourite soup.
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Leek & Onion Soup
A heartwarming soup that must be prepared every winter in our household. It fits most menus because of its lightness, simplicity and goes well with any protein or carb dish. You can have it light without the toast but you defiantly treat yourself to a restaurant quality dish with some good melted cheese on toast.
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy. The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also […]