Classic Egyptian Kahk
By shahdan • January 19, 2020
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative.
The homemade Kahk Spices are just perfect, while the Kahk texture is just right, relatively soft but does not stick in the mouth. Sesame gives the Kahk a very delicate taste and aroma.
This recipe uses 500g of flour and 250g of ghee, a perfect quantity for a family of five.
If you live abroad and do not have access to Kahk Spices ريحة الكحك, substitute with 1 teaspoon of the following:
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves قرنفل مطحون
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom حبهان مطحون
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger جنزبيل مطحون
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon قرفة مطحونة
Ghee cannot be substituted with butter in this recipe.
- 500 gram flour - دقيق
- 250 gram ghee - سمن بلدي
- 1 teaspoon yeast - خميرة
- 1 teaspoon sugar - سكر
- 1/4 cup water (warm) - ماء
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds - بذور السمسم
- 1 teaspoon Kahk Spices - ريحة الكحك
- 1 pinch salt - ملح
- 1 cup icing sugar - سكر بودرة
Step by step
- In a small bowl, mix water with sugar and yeast and set aside.
- Place the flour in a bowl that can tolerate heat (preferably metal). Create a well in the middle, and add Kahk spices, sesame and salt.
- Melt ghee in a pot until hot and fragrant.
- Carefully pour the hot ghee over the flour mix. Use a metal or wooden spoon to stir the hot ghee with the flour and spices until well-combined. (The hot ghee added on sesame and spices will instantly create a beautiful aroma)
- Add the water-yeast mixture and stir to combine. Make sure the dough has cooled enough to handle before you give it a final gentle mix with your hands to make sure all ingredients are well-combined.
- Preheat oven to 190C and line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Use your hands to form round Kahk cookies and arrange them on the baking tray. Use a fork or special kahk tweezers to create design on the Kahk. These designs are important to help the sugar stick to the Kahk after baking.
- Bake in the middle of the oven until lightly golden. It will take an average of 20 minutes but baking time may vary depending on different ovens.
- Take the Kahk out of the oven and leave to cool completely before dusting with sugar.
- To dust with sugar, simply place a couple of tablespoons of icing sugar in a sieve, and gently shake it over the cooled Kahk.
- Store in an air-tight container.
3-Ingredient Banana Pancakes
Here is a healthy low calorie, gluten free breakfast recipe! A recipe by Maha...
Easy Vegetable Stir-Fry
If you are bored of daily vegetable dishes, this easy vegetable stir fry is what you are looking...
Broccoli & Basil Soup
This good-for-you Green Broccoli and Basil soup is creamy and delicious without the need to add any...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]