By shahdan • September 11, 2016
Not your traditional Fatta dish, this Chicken Shawerma Fatta will definitely impress the crowd, especially the younger generation that doesn’t appreciate the classic lamb version.
I find this quantity perfect for a family of four. You will need to double the quantity for bigger gatherings.
For best results, marinate the chicken overnight.
- 750 gram chicken breast fillet - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/4 cup vinegar - خل
- 1 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 2 tablespoon yoghurt - زبادي
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1/2 medium pickled lemon (finely chopped)- you may substitute with juice of 2 limes - ليمون معصفر
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1 large onion (thinly sliced) - بصلة
- 3 medium tomatoes (deseeded and cubed) - طماطم
- 1 bunch parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 2 large shamy bread - خبز شامي
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 500 gram cooked rice - ارز مطبوخ
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts (toasted- to garnish) - صنوبر
- For the yoghurt topping:
- 2 cup yoghurt - زبادي
- 1 teaspoon tahini - طحينة
- 2 small garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Using a good sharp knife, cut the chicken into thin shawerma slices.
- Marinate with vinegar, all spice, yoghurt, garlic, pickled lemon, salt and pepper. Add onion slices, mix, and leave to marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours, or for best results overnight.
- To cook the shawerma, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan or wok. (Make sure not to overcrowd a small pan so the chicken cooks properly.) Add the chicken and cook uncovered on medium heat. The chicken will release its water. Let it cook, stirring frequently, until water is absorbed and the chicken is cooked through. Turn off the heat and add tomatoes and parsley. Cover and set aside.
- To prepare the crispy bread, use scissors to cut the bread into small rectangles. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, and use your hands to rub the bread pieces with the oil. Bake in a 180 oven for 10- 15 minutes. Check frequently, and mix gently, to make sure it doesn't burn.
- In a separate bowl, mix yoghurt with tahini, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To assemble the dish, arrange the crispy bread in a medium dish. Add cooked white rice over the bread. Finally add the chicken shawerma on top. Drizzle with yoghurt dressing and garnish with pine nuts and extra parsley. Serve hot.
Sweet Pumpkin Béchamel
الوصفة بالعربي No matter how many pumpkin recipes we try, the Egyptian traditional...
Easy Vegetable Stir-Fry
If you are bored of daily vegetable dishes, this easy vegetable stir fry is what you are looking...
Goop’s Broccoli & Arugula Soup
الوصفة بالعربي This is an original Goop detox recipe that I used to prepare for...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Leave a comment