Beram Freekeh & Meat Cubes
By yasmine • March 29, 2015
This dish is traditionally done with so-called rice pasta (Lessan 3asfur); however, freekeh is a more nutritious substitute for my family and offers a new taste.
This is such a warm and wholesome meal that keeps everyone satisfied. You will need to serve it with a vegetable side or a big salad to make up for the lack of vegetables. This recipe was inspired by an excellent Egyptian family chef.
- 1/2 kg beef cubes - لحم كباب حلة
- 2 cup freekeh - فريك
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 onion (minced) - بصلة
- 1 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 3 cup hot water - ماء ساخن
- 1 tomato (peeled & juiced) - طماطم
Step by step
- On medium heat, fry onions and garlic in ½ tablespoon butter until golden then add beef cubes. Stir the meat until it browns all over, add ¼ cup hot water and lower the heat to cook the meat further.
- After 15 minutes, when the water is absorbed and reduced – add washed freekeh and 3 more cups of hot water and cover.
- In the meantime, rub the inside of a medium deep porcelain or glass dish (beram) with oil and place it empty in the 180C preheated oven for 5 minutes to warm the dish.
- After another 10 minutes of cooking the freekeh with the meat, transfer the mix including the remaining water into the deep dish (beram), stir in the tomato juice and make sure the meat is distributed evenly.
- Cover the dish with foil to keep the top moist and place it in the oven for about 20 minutes, until the rest of the water is absorbed and the freekeh is cooked. Serve it warm.
Peanut Butter & Coloured Peppers Baladi Wrap
The sweetness of coloured peppers with the saltines of this guiltfree all natural peanut butter...
Strawberries Dipped in Chocolate & Icing
This is not really a recipe - it is just a more colorful idea to serving delicious strawberries...
You know that 'batates sandwich' everyone loves at 'foul' shops? These quesadillas are the Mexican...
Chicken & Chickpea Fatta
Flavourful chicken slices and lemony chickpeas are served over a bed of sumac-seasoned crispy bread and covered with a rich garlicky yoghurt-tahini sauce. This is an easy yet super tasty version of everyone’s favourite fatta. For best results, make sure the yoghurt is at room temperature before assembling the dish. This will ensure that the […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]