Yellow Cornmeal Orange Cake
By shahdan • March 22, 2015
Our grandmas’ time, this recipe was as famous as a cheesecake today. Every house had its own recipe and every mother excelled in its baking… I got this recipe from my aunt, who learned it from her mother… It’s a cake that has been forgotten and that our generation barely knows…I baked this cake for the first time for an Easter friends and family gathering. “This reminds me of my mother”, said almost every person who tried the cake, it opened up a Pandora’s Box of memories and childhood stories, and it was the star of the event… Definitely worth trying!
- 3 cup cornmeal (yellow) - دقيق ذرة
- 1/2 cup flour - دقيق
- 1 1/2 cup sugar - سكر
- 7 egg - بيضة
- 1 1/4 cup butter (melted) - original recipe calls for 1.5 cups - زبدة
- 1 pack baking powder (preferably the one with mo7assen keik) - باكينج باودر
- 2 pack vanilla - فانيليا
- 1 large orange (zest and juice) - برتقالة
- 3/4 cup milk (squeeze the juice of one orange first in a cup then fill the rest of the cup with skimmed milk. It makes the cake lighter and full of orange freshness) - لبن
Step by step
- To make the batter, beat the sugar with the butter until fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and the vanilla.
- Add the flour and the baking powder and mix until smooth.
- Zest your orange and add the zest to your mix. Then squeeze the orange into a 1-cup measure.
- Fill the rest of the cup with milk and stir your orange/milk mix in the batter.
- Grease a medium- sized oven tray with butter and bake the cake for 35 minutes in a 180 pre-heated until risen and a toothpick or thin skewer comes out clean from the middle of the cake.
- Leave to cool then cut into squares when it is still warm, and move it to a sealed box or any airtight container to keep it nice and moist.
Easy Egg Salad Sandwich
This easy egg salad sandwich is creamy, delicious and super nutritious. It will leave your kids...
Baked Sweet Potato Fish Pie
From 9 months. My kids started eating fish at 8 and 9 months but every doctor has a different...
The Christmas Chestnut Turkey Breast Anyone Can Prepare
الوصفه بالعربي A joyous and hassle-free Christmas turkey with sweet maple syrup and...
Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It’s crispy on the outside with a cracked top and extra chewy and soft in the inside. Once you try it it’s going to be a staple at your house. This recipe is adapted from Ovenly’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe […]
Dark Chocolate Almond Clusters
These heavenly Chocolate Almond Clusters will be your new favourite treat… and all you really need is good quality dark chocolate and raw almonds.
Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl
Simply served over white rice, the Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl makes such a hearty vegan home-cooked meal.
Traditional Anise Seeds Biscuits
These Anise Seeds Biscuits are a trip down memory lane for my family. Preparing them and filling the kitchen with the smell lets me think of my grandmother’s house and our family lunches ending with dipping these biscuits in the grown-ups hot teas. Our family calls it ‘our biscotti’ (like the Italian), because it looks and smells like it, yet […]