Yellow Cornmeal Orange Cake
By shahdan • March 22, 2015
Our grandmas’ time, this recipe was as famous as a cheesecake today. Every house had its own recipe and every mother excelled in its baking… I got this recipe from my aunt, who learned it from her mother… It’s a cake that has been forgotten and that our generation barely knows…I baked this cake for the first time for an Easter friends and family gathering. “This reminds me of my mother”, said almost every person who tried the cake, it opened up a Pandora’s Box of memories and childhood stories, and it was the star of the event… Definitely worth trying!
- 3 cup cornmeal (yellow) - دقيق ذرة
- 1/2 cup flour - دقيق
- 1 1/2 cup sugar - سكر
- 7 egg - بيضة
- 1 1/4 cup butter (melted) - original recipe calls for 1.5 cups - زبدة
- 1 pack baking powder (preferably the one with mo7assen keik) - باكينج باودر
- 2 pack vanilla - فانيليا
- 1 large orange (zest and juice) - برتقالة
- 3/4 cup milk (squeeze the juice of one orange first in a cup then fill the rest of the cup with skimmed milk. It makes the cake lighter and full of orange freshness) - لبن
Step by step
- To make the batter, beat the sugar with the butter until fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and the vanilla.
- Add the flour and the baking powder and mix until smooth.
- Zest your orange and add the zest to your mix. Then squeeze the orange into a 1-cup measure.
- Fill the rest of the cup with milk and stir your orange/milk mix in the batter.
- Grease a medium- sized oven tray with butter and bake the cake for 35 minutes in a 180 pre-heated until risen and a toothpick or thin skewer comes out clean from the middle of the cake.
- Leave to cool then cut into squares when it is still warm, and move it to a sealed box or any airtight container to keep it nice and moist.
Thai Pumpkin Soup
الوصفة بالعربي This Thai Pumpkin Soup is delicious with depth of Asian flavors from...
Summer Lime Karkadeh (Hibiscus)
Since Karkadeh is just consumed in Ramadan. I personally think it's the perfect summer drink of all...
Fig & Pomegranate Green Salad
With fresh healthy greens, sweet figs and super nutritious pomegranates, this extremely easy to...
Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl
Simply served over white rice, the Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl makes such a hearty vegan home-cooked meal.
Traditional Anise Seeds Biscuits
These Anise Seeds Biscuits are a trip down memory lane for my family. Preparing them and filling the kitchen with the smell lets me think of my grandmother’s house and our family lunches ending with dipping these biscuits in the grown-ups hot teas. Our family calls it ‘our biscotti’ (like the Italian), because it looks and smells like it, yet […]
Chicken & Broccoli Filo Pie
The chicken & broccoli filling to this filo pie is so delicious and heartwarming. The cheese melting between the soft broccoli and tender chicken along with the crispiness of the buttered filo provide you with the deliciousness and warmth you expect from a homemade pie! You can prepare it as a round or as a […]
Circkle Crackle Nut Candies
These nut candies are such a yummy, sweet and crunchy dessert in little balls. Nuts, seeds, coconut oil & raw molasses are all immunity-boosting, vitmanin-full and overall nutritious foods, which makes this a great treat for kids and health- and weight-concious adults.