Orzo & Vegetables Salad
By shahdan • September 17, 2018
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to your family preference (like broccoli, tomatoes, olives, finely chopped baby spinach, cooked green beans…etc.)
The dressing is a simply composed of olive oil and sea salt. It might sound simple, but the flavours are big.
- 250 gram orzo - لسان عصفور
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil - زيت الزيتون بكر
- 1/2 cup sweet corn - ذرة حلوه
- 1 cup peas (half-cooked then washed in cold water) - بسلة
- 2 medium cucumber - خيار
- 2 medium carrots (diced) - جزر
- 1 medium red bell pepper (diced) - فلفل رومي احمر
- sea salt - ملح البحر
Step by step
- Cover the orzo with hot water and boil until cooked or follow package instructions for best results.
- Drain orzo, place in a bowl then add olive oil and stir. Set aside to cool.
- Cut cucumbers, carrots and pepper into small cubes. For best results, slice into thin julienne sticks, then chop the sticks into small cubes.
- Half-cook frozen peas in boiling water until slightly cooked yet still vibrant green (taste one to decide) then rinse with cold water.
- Drain sweet corn from can and rinse with fresh water.
- Add vegetables and corn to cooled orzo. Season with sea salt, cover and store in the fridge for up to 2 days. You may add precooked or leftover chicken pieces before serving.
It's healthy and not loaded with sugar like the store-bought stuff! It's good to keep at home for...
Mustard & Rosemary Roasted Beef Fillet
This is such an easy recipe that it became a staple in our homes. The meat turns out tender...
Peanut Butter & Coloured Peppers Baladi Wrap
The sweetness of coloured peppers with the saltines of this guiltfree all natural peanut butter...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]