Meat Cubes with Carrots & Potatoes
By yasmine • June 9, 2016
Kabab Halla or meat cubes cooked with carrots and potatoes is such an ancient dish in our family. It is so comforting and delicious that everyone young and old loves it. My kids enjoy it with brown rice or freekeh.
Try to keep yourself from eating the hot fried potatoes and carrots as you prepare it!
- 1/2 kg beef cubes - لحم كباب حلة
- 2 large potatoes - بطاطس
- 4 carrots - جزر
- 1 large onion (minced) - بصلة
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3/4 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Peel and cut carrots and potatoes into cubes. Season meat cubes with salt and pepper.
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil and fry meat cubes on medium heat until browned. It'll take about 20 minutes as the meat will release its liquid and cook for a bit and then start to brown on all sides as you stir occassionally. Set aside.
- In the same pot, heat another tablespoon olive oil and fry cubed potatoes and carrots until slightly browned (about 15 minutes stirring occasionally). Set aside.
- Fry minced onions in the same pot until slightly yellowish (about 8 minutes). Add boiling water, salt and pepper and scrape the pot for all the brownish bits to make sure they go into the sauce.
- Add meat and veggies back to the pot, lower the heat and let them all cook for 20 minutes until sauce thickens and all cubes are cooked through. Serve warm next to rice.
Duck & Rice Beraam
الوصفة بالعربي Rice “beraam” with meat or poultry is very famous in the Egyptian...
Everyday Salad with Balsamic Dijon Dressing
No table is ever complete without a bowl of fresh green salad dressed in a tasty homemade...
Vegetable Glass Noodles
Who wouldn't like a bowl of Asian Glass noodles with luscious fresh vegetables? It is perfect and...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]