Meat Cubes with Carrots & Potatoes
By yasmine • June 9, 2016
Kabab Halla or meat cubes cooked with carrots and potatoes is such an ancient dish in our family. It is so comforting and delicious that everyone young and old loves it. My kids enjoy it with brown rice or freekeh.
Try to keep yourself from eating the hot fried potatoes and carrots as you prepare it!
- 1/2 kg beef cubes - لحم كباب حلة
- 2 large potatoes - بطاطس
- 4 carrots - جزر
- 1 large onion (minced) - بصلة
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3/4 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Peel and cut carrots and potatoes into cubes. Season meat cubes with salt and pepper.
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil and fry meat cubes on medium heat until browned. It'll take about 20 minutes as the meat will release its liquid and cook for a bit and then start to brown on all sides as you stir occassionally. Set aside.
- In the same pot, heat another tablespoon olive oil and fry cubed potatoes and carrots until slightly browned (about 15 minutes stirring occasionally). Set aside.
- Fry minced onions in the same pot until slightly yellowish (about 8 minutes). Add boiling water, salt and pepper and scrape the pot for all the brownish bits to make sure they go into the sauce.
- Add meat and veggies back to the pot, lower the heat and let them all cook for 20 minutes until sauce thickens and all cubes are cooked through. Serve warm next to rice.
This is the lentil recipe that all your friends will want! My mom learned it from a friend, and...
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Not just an incredible dip and appetiser, this hummus is great for kids not just with a sweetness...
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it...
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.