Meat Cubes with Carrots & Potatoes
By yasmine • June 9, 2016
Kabab Halla or meat cubes cooked with carrots and potatoes is such an ancient dish in our family. It is so comforting and delicious that everyone young and old loves it. My kids enjoy it with brown rice or freekeh.
Try to keep yourself from eating the hot fried potatoes and carrots as you prepare it!
- 1/2 kg beef cubes - لحم كباب حلة
- 2 large potatoes - بطاطس
- 4 carrots - جزر
- 1 large onion (minced) - بصلة
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3/4 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Peel and cut carrots and potatoes into cubes. Season meat cubes with salt and pepper.
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil and fry meat cubes on medium heat until browned. It'll take about 20 minutes as the meat will release its liquid and cook for a bit and then start to brown on all sides as you stir occassionally. Set aside.
- In the same pot, heat another tablespoon olive oil and fry cubed potatoes and carrots until slightly browned (about 15 minutes stirring occasionally). Set aside.
- Fry minced onions in the same pot until slightly yellowish (about 8 minutes). Add boiling water, salt and pepper and scrape the pot for all the brownish bits to make sure they go into the sauce.
- Add meat and veggies back to the pot, lower the heat and let them all cook for 20 minutes until sauce thickens and all cubes are cooked through. Serve warm next to rice.
Wholewheat & Oats Fruity Pancakes
These nutritious wholewheat pancakes with oats and fruits are made delicious with added bananas...
Garlicky Pasta with Cauliflower & Peas
Super delicious and comforting, this Garlicky Pasta with Cauliflower & Peas is just the right...
Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese & Sun-dried Tomatoes
The earthy flavour of lentils, the creaminess of goat cheese, and the sweetness of sun-dried...
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted not fried. This doesn’t take away from the taste, on the contrary, the eggplants are more flavourful and rich here. Because cooking moussaka is a lengthy process with many different components, I like to shortcut my way to this delicious dish using […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]