Meat Cubes with Carrots & Potatoes
By yasmine • June 9, 2016
Kabab Halla or meat cubes cooked with carrots and potatoes is such an ancient dish in our family. It is so comforting and delicious that everyone young and old loves it. My kids enjoy it with brown rice or freekeh.
Try to keep yourself from eating the hot fried potatoes and carrots as you prepare it!
- 1/2 kg beef cubes - لحم كباب حلة
- 2 large potatoes - بطاطس
- 4 carrots - جزر
- 1 large onion (minced) - بصلة
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3/4 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Peel and cut carrots and potatoes into cubes. Season meat cubes with salt and pepper.
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil and fry meat cubes on medium heat until browned. It'll take about 20 minutes as the meat will release its liquid and cook for a bit and then start to brown on all sides as you stir occassionally. Set aside.
- In the same pot, heat another tablespoon olive oil and fry cubed potatoes and carrots until slightly browned (about 15 minutes stirring occasionally). Set aside.
- Fry minced onions in the same pot until slightly yellowish (about 8 minutes). Add boiling water, salt and pepper and scrape the pot for all the brownish bits to make sure they go into the sauce.
- Add meat and veggies back to the pot, lower the heat and let them all cook for 20 minutes until sauce thickens and all cubes are cooked through. Serve warm next to rice.
Yummy Chocolate Chip Pancakes
This is a super cheerful breakfast for fun family mornings! These chocolate chip pancakes...
Classic Egyptian Koshary
Koshary is one of the most famous Egyptian street food. It is basically a plate full of rice,...
This Coconut Ashoura is pure happiness in a bowl. It is deliciously creamy, super nutritious, and...
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]