Light One-Pot Okra
By Shereen Badawi • May 11, 2016
This is the vegan version of my mother’s ‘nayy fe nayy bamia’. While she uses stock, I like to cook it with water and little olive oil to make it lighter.
- 1 large onion - بصلة
- 1 large tomato - طماطم
- 1 pack okra (frozen) about 400 grams - بامية
- 5 medium garlic clove - فص ثوم
- 1.5 cup water - ماء
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 lime (OR to taste) - ليمون بلدي
Step by step
- Slice onions and tomatoes into circles.
- Arrange a layer of onions at the bottom of a medium pot followed by a layer of tomato slices. Pour okra on top squeezing in whole garlic cloves. Add water and let it cook over medium heat until it boils.
- Lower heat to let the okra to cook through until soft (water should be mostly absorbed) about 20 minutes.
- Drizzle with olive oil, lime juice and salt and pepper and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Colourful Easter Pancakes
Easter is almost here and here is an easy colorful pancakes breakfast for such an...
Wholesome Black-Eyed Pea Salad
It's time to give black-eyed peas a chance since it is creamy, nutritious and full of goodness...
Hearty Homemade Lentil Soup
Comfort food at its best...this homemade lentil soup is easy, super nutritious and so...
Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble
This Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble is the perfect dessert for a large gathering. It easily pleases the crowd… who wouldn’t appreciate fresh cream and strawberries with a sweet crunch like no other? My team and I came up with it for our Makar Farm Pop Up Lunch featuring Lebanese – Egyptian inspired dishes. […]
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]
Egyptian Roasted Cauliflower
الوصفة بالعربي If you love the traditional Egyptian fried cauliflower, you will fall in love with this roasted version. Same taste, only healthier!
Oven-Baked Fish with Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي The beauty of this homemade oven-baked fish lies in its simplicity. Unlike most ready-cooked fish dishes in Egypt that use many herbs and spices, this marinade is very basic which allows you to enjoy the pure and delicious taste of white fish meat. I am using sea bream fish (دنيس), yet you can […]