Light One-Pot Okra
By Shereen Badawi • May 11, 2016
This is the vegan version of my mother’s ‘nayy fe nayy bamia’. While she uses stock, I like to cook it with water and little olive oil to make it lighter.
- 1 large onion - بصلة
- 1 large tomato - طماطم
- 1 pack okra (frozen) about 400 grams - بامية
- 5 medium garlic clove - فص ثوم
- 1.5 cup water - ماء
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 lime (OR to taste) - ليمون بلدي
Step by step
- Slice onions and tomatoes into circles.
- Arrange a layer of onions at the bottom of a medium pot followed by a layer of tomato slices. Pour okra on top squeezing in whole garlic cloves. Add water and let it cook over medium heat until it boils.
- Lower heat to let the okra to cook through until soft (water should be mostly absorbed) about 20 minutes.
- Drizzle with olive oil, lime juice and salt and pepper and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Homemade Roast Beef Toasties
The key to preparing these healthy kid-friendly lunchbox toasties, is to use a cucumber peeler to...
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is...
Succulent Asian Surf & Turf for Two
الوصفة بالعربي One marinade for a succulent full flavoured steak, mouth-watering...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]