Light One-Pot Okra
By Shereen Badawi • May 11, 2016
This is the vegan version of my mother’s ‘nayy fe nayy bamia’. While she uses stock, I like to cook it with water and little olive oil to make it lighter.
- 1 large onion - بصلة
- 1 large tomato - طماطم
- 1 pack okra (frozen) about 400 grams - بامية
- 5 medium garlic clove - فص ثوم
- 1.5 cup water - ماء
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 lime (OR to taste) - ليمون بلدي
Step by step
- Slice onions and tomatoes into circles.
- Arrange a layer of onions at the bottom of a medium pot followed by a layer of tomato slices. Pour okra on top squeezing in whole garlic cloves. Add water and let it cook over medium heat until it boils.
- Lower heat to let the okra to cook through until soft (water should be mostly absorbed) about 20 minutes.
- Drizzle with olive oil, lime juice and salt and pepper and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Light Yoghurt & Freekeh Soup
الوصفة بالعربي This light yoghurt & freekeh soup reminds me of my childhood....
Quinoa Salad with Mint & Pomegranate Seeds
Light and refreshing, this quinoa salad tastes delicious and is packed with nutrients. It can be...
Lentils & Apple Salad
I tried this Lentils & Apple Salad at a friend's dinner and I fell in love with it. Without...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]