By yasmine • June 22, 2015
Once you make your own foul at home, you will never go back to the canned stuff again! Even the famous restaurants’ foul will not taste better than yours. This Foul Medammes is homemade with love and patience, it can be customised to your family’s taste by adding different spices like cumin and ground coriander, olive oil, lemon and some tomatoes or parsley accompanied with tahini or white cheese. The choices are endless, and you can try them all because the one pot can make up to three meals of 4 to 5 people each.
Prepare the foul pot in advance, let it cool then distribute in containers to keep in fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for a whole month.
- 250 gram fava beans - فول مدمس
- 250 gram crushed beans (split fava beans) - فول مدشوش
- 1 handful yellow lentils - عدس أصفر
- 1 large tomato - طماطم
- salt and pepper (generous) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 liter water (and more) - ماء
Step by step
- Wash the beans very well before placing them in a large pot.
- Cut the tomato into big chunks and place them on top of the beans. Add salt and pepper generously and cover with lukewarm water. Make sure the water overflows by a couple of centimeters.
- Put the pot on medium heat until the water starts boiling, then put down the heat at the lowest point. If you have the metal accessory that lifts up the pot further away from the flame - place it underneath the pot. Otherwise use the smallest flame you have on your stove.
- Keep the pot for up to 6 hours on the stove (or less if beans were soaked overnight). You will need to add new lukewarm water every couple of hours to cover the beans. Once you feel the beans are almost cooked, uncover half the lid and let the water start simmering away still at low heat.
- Once the beans are cooked (you can squeeze a couple of beans to make sure), remove the tomato and blend the foul in the blender or using a handheld mixer.
- You can spice your foul just before serving - with cumin, ground coriander, more salt and pepper, lemon and olive oil. You can also add tahini, white cheese and tomato or parsley to tailor it to your family's taste.
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed...
Spiced Rice with Beef & Spring Onions
If you love hearty & filling homemade dishes, you will adore this one-pot Spiced Rice with...
Simple Mahalabeya with Lime Curd
A different & summery take on this nostalgic all time favorite Ramadan pudding, but this time I...
Brown and crispy from the outside, super juicy from the inside and covered in layers of melted cheese & mouthwatering burger sauce, this is the recipe for the perfect Smashed Burgers that anyone can prepare and devour at home.
Blackeyed Peas Salad with Parsley Dressing
This Blackeyed Peas Salad is prepared using very simple everyday ingredients that come together to create a colourful and super nutritious dish. The salad dressing is blended with fresh green parsley to turn a basic sauce into a luscious creamy and full of flavour addition to your salad.
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]