By yasmine • June 22, 2015
Once you make your own foul at home, you will never go back to the canned stuff again! Even the famous restaurants’ foul will not taste better than yours. This Foul Medammes is homemade with love and patience, it can be customised to your family’s taste by adding different spices like cumin and ground coriander, olive oil, lemon and some tomatoes or parsley accompanied with tahini or white cheese. The choices are endless, and you can try them all because the one pot can make up to three meals of 4 to 5 people each.
Prepare the foul pot in advance, let it cool then distribute in containers to keep in fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for a whole month.
- 250 gram fava beans - فول مدمس
- 250 gram crushed beans (split fava beans) - فول مدشوش
- 1 handful yellow lentils - عدس أصفر
- 1 large tomato - طماطم
- salt and pepper (generous) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 liter water (and more) - ماء
Step by step
- Wash the beans very well before placing them in a large pot.
- Cut the tomato into big chunks and place them on top of the beans. Add salt and pepper generously and cover with lukewarm water. Make sure the water overflows by a couple of centimeters.
- Put the pot on medium heat until the water starts boiling, then put down the heat at the lowest point. If you have the metal accessory that lifts up the pot further away from the flame - place it underneath the pot. Otherwise use the smallest flame you have on your stove.
- Keep the pot for up to 6 hours on the stove. You will need to add new lukewarm water every couple of hours to cover the beans. Once you feel the beans are almost cooked, uncover half the lid and let the water start simmering away still at low heat.
- Once the beans are cooked (you can squeeze a couple of beans to make sure), remove the tomato and blend the foul in the blender or using a handheld mixer.
- You can spice your foul just before serving - with cumin, ground coriander, more salt and pepper, lemon and olive oil. You can also add tahini, white cheese and tomato or parsley to tailor it to your family's taste.
Blondies (Golden Brownies)
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. Who would have...
Cozy Cauliflower Soup
الوصفة بالعربي This soup is the perfect hug in a mug. Even those who wouldn't...
Creamy Mushroom Pasta with Fresh Basil
Heavy but heavenly… I love the beautiful earthy flavor that mushrooms add to a simple pasta dish,...
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]
Labna & Black Olives Sandwich Filler
This recipe is ideal for black olive lovers. It is perfect for the lunchbox, and it also makes a great dip for friendly gatherings. Fresh mint gives this classic sandwich filler a new delicious dimension. You can replace labna with any cream cheese you like. In all cases, make sure to use good quality Kalamata olives.