Hearty Homemade Lentil Soup
By shahdan • October 22, 2016
Comfort food at its best…this homemade lentil soup is easy, super nutritious and so heart-warmingly delicious. The flavours are deep and intense without the need to use any stock. With lots of veggies and wholesome lentils, it ensures that you and your family are getting the right nutrients! It will surely become your new favourite winter-warmer!
- 250 gram yellow lentils - عدس أصفر
- 1 medium onion (cut into 4 quarters) - بصلة
- 2 medium tomato (cut into quarters) - طماطم
- 1 medium sweet potato (peeled and sliced into cubes- or regular potatoes) - بطاطا
- 3 medium zucchini (peeled and roughly sliced) - كوسة
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and sliced) - جزر
- 2 medium spring onion - بصلة خضراء
- 2 medium garlic cloves - فصوص ثوم
- 2 pod cardamom - حبهان
- 1 medium bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- 6 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 1 pinch ground cumin - كمون
- 1 tablespoon coriander (finely chopped) - كزبرة
- paprika (optional for garnish) - بابريكا / فلفل أحمر
Step by step
- Rinse the lentils with fresh water and place them into a large soup pot.
- Add onion, garlic and all the cut veggies (except coriander) to the lentils. Cover with boiling water (around 6 cups). Throw in 2 cardamom pods and a bay leaf and place the pot on high heat.
- When the soup comes to a boil lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and leave to simmer for 30 minutes or until veggies and lentils are soft.
- Remove cardamom pods (they will be floating on top of the soup) and bay leaf.
- Use a handheld blender to puree the soup until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add a pinch of cumin, and chopped coriander.
- Garnish with extra coriander leaves and paprika and serve warm.
Caramel Cheesecake Topped with Chocolate Shavings
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. Homemade rich...
Broccoli & Basil Soup
This good-for-you Green Broccoli and Basil soup is creamy and delicious without the need to add any...
Originally a traditional Russian dish, Beef Stroganoff is always a crowd pleaser! It is easy to...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]