Hearty Homemade Lentil Soup
By shahdan • October 22, 2016
Comfort food at its best…this homemade lentil soup is easy, super nutritious and so heart-warmingly delicious. The flavours are deep and intense without the need to use any stock. With lots of veggies and wholesome lentils, it ensures that you and your family are getting the right nutrients! It will surely become your new favourite winter-warmer!
- 250 gram yellow lentils - عدس أصفر
- 1 medium onion (cut into 4 quarters) - بصلة
- 2 medium tomato (cut into quarters) - طماطم
- 1 medium sweet potato (peeled and sliced into cubes- or regular potatoes) - بطاطا
- 3 medium zucchini (peeled and roughly sliced) - كوسة
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and sliced) - جزر
- 2 medium spring onion - بصلة خضراء
- 2 medium garlic cloves - فصوص ثوم
- 2 pod cardamom - حبهان
- 1 medium bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- 6 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 1 pinch ground cumin - كمون
- 1 tablespoon coriander (finely chopped) - كزبرة
- paprika (optional for garnish) - بابريكا / فلفل أحمر
Step by step
- Rinse the lentils with fresh water and place them into a large soup pot.
- Add onion, garlic and all the cut veggies (except coriander) to the lentils. Cover with boiling water (around 6 cups). Throw in 2 cardamom pods and a bay leaf and place the pot on high heat.
- When the soup comes to a boil lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and leave to simmer for 30 minutes or until veggies and lentils are soft.
- Remove cardamom pods (they will be floating on top of the soup) and bay leaf.
- Use a handheld blender to puree the soup until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add a pinch of cumin, and chopped coriander.
- Garnish with extra coriander leaves and paprika and serve warm.
Easy Shrimp Curry
Recipe in Arabicالجمبرى بالكارى This shrimp curry is not only flavoursome...
Minted Zucchini Soup
الوصفة بالعربي Even those who don't eat zucchini, will fall in love with this...
Orzo & Vegetable Soup (Lessan Asfour)
This is one of the simplest, yet most delicious soups. All you really need is good homemade chicken...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]