Hearty Homemade Lentil Soup
By shahdan • October 22, 2016
Comfort food at its best…this homemade lentil soup is easy, super nutritious and so heart-warmingly delicious. The flavours are deep and intense without the need to use any stock. With lots of veggies and wholesome lentils, it ensures that you and your family are getting the right nutrients! It will surely become your new favourite winter-warmer!
- 250 gram yellow lentils - عدس أصفر
- 1 medium onion (cut into 4 quarters) - بصلة
- 2 medium tomato (cut into quarters) - طماطم
- 1 medium sweet potato (peeled and sliced into cubes- or regular potatoes) - بطاطا
- 3 medium zucchini (peeled and roughly sliced) - كوسة
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and sliced) - جزر
- 2 medium spring onion - بصلة خضراء
- 2 medium garlic cloves - فصوص ثوم
- 2 pod cardamom - حبهان
- 1 medium bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- 6 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 1 pinch ground cumin - كمون
- 1 tablespoon coriander (finely chopped) - كزبرة
- paprika (optional for garnish) - بابريكا / فلفل أحمر
Step by step
- Rinse the lentils with fresh water and place them into a large soup pot.
- Add onion, garlic and all the cut veggies (except coriander) to the lentils. Cover with boiling water (around 6 cups). Throw in 2 cardamom pods and a bay leaf and place the pot on high heat.
- When the soup comes to a boil lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and leave to simmer for 30 minutes or until veggies and lentils are soft.
- Remove cardamom pods (they will be floating on top of the soup) and bay leaf.
- Use a handheld blender to puree the soup until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add a pinch of cumin, and chopped coriander.
- Garnish with extra coriander leaves and paprika and serve warm.
Baby Banana Ice Cream
From 12 months. Not just because of dairy, but also because extra cold contents are not as easy to...
Yellow Cornmeal Orange Cake
Our grandmas’ time, this recipe was as famous as a cheesecake today. Every house had its own...
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the...
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]
Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble
This Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble is the perfect dessert for a large gathering. It easily pleases the crowd… who wouldn’t appreciate fresh cream and strawberries with a sweet crunch like no other? My team and I came up with it for our Makar Farm Pop Up Lunch featuring Lebanese – Egyptian inspired dishes. […]
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]