Hearty Homemade Lentil Soup
By shahdan • October 22, 2016
Comfort food at its best…this homemade lentil soup is easy, super nutritious and so heart-warmingly delicious. The flavours are deep and intense without the need to use any stock. With lots of veggies and wholesome lentils, it ensures that you and your family are getting the right nutrients! It will surely become your new favourite winter-warmer!
- 250 gram yellow lentils - عدس أصفر
- 1 medium onion (cut into 4 quarters) - بصلة
- 2 medium tomato (cut into quarters) - طماطم
- 1 medium sweet potato (peeled and sliced into cubes- or regular potatoes) - بطاطا
- 3 medium zucchini (peeled and roughly sliced) - كوسة
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and sliced) - جزر
- 2 medium spring onion - بصلة خضراء
- 2 medium garlic cloves - فصوص ثوم
- 2 pod cardamom - حبهان
- 1 medium bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- 6 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 1 pinch ground cumin - كمون
- 1 tablespoon coriander (finely chopped) - كزبرة
- paprika (optional for garnish) - بابريكا / فلفل أحمر
Step by step
- Rinse the lentils with fresh water and place them into a large soup pot.
- Add onion, garlic and all the cut veggies (except coriander) to the lentils. Cover with boiling water (around 6 cups). Throw in 2 cardamom pods and a bay leaf and place the pot on high heat.
- When the soup comes to a boil lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and leave to simmer for 30 minutes or until veggies and lentils are soft.
- Remove cardamom pods (they will be floating on top of the soup) and bay leaf.
- Use a handheld blender to puree the soup until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add a pinch of cumin, and chopped coriander.
- Garnish with extra coriander leaves and paprika and serve warm.
الوصفة بالعربي Hummus falafel is a great variation of the traditional broad bean...
No-Junk Kids’ Burger
If burger is a kids-favourite dish, why don’t we make it as healthy as we can? This burger bursts...
Creamy Chicken & Corn Soup
الوصفة بالعربي Pure happiness in a bowl... There is something really special about...
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.