Gluten-Free Buckwheat Salad
By Shewekar Elgharably • June 10, 2015
- 200 gram wild rice - الأرز البري
- 200 gram buckwheat - الحنطة السوداء
- ½ lemon ( zest peeled, & juiced ) - ليمون
- ½ orange ( zest peeled & juiced) - برتقالة
- 120 ml olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 garlic clove (peeled and crushed ) - فص ثوم
- 100 gram dried cranberries - التوت البري المجفف
- 75 gram walnut - عين جمل / جوز
- 5 spring onion (thinly sliced ) - بصلة خضراء
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- handful parsley (roughly chopped ) - بقدونس
- handful red cabbage (roughly chopped) - كرنب أحمر
- 2 tablespoon basil - ريحان
- 2 tablespoon tarragon (roughly chopped ) - طرخون
- handful kale (roughly chopped & sauteed) - كيل
Step by step
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, add the wild rice and boil gently for 35-40 minutes, until the grains start to pop open and are al dente. Rinse under cold water and leave to drain.
- In another small pan, bring 400ml water to a boil. Turn the heat to very low, stir in the buckwheat, cover and cook for six to eight minutes; stir once or twice more. Set aside for a few minutes with the lid on, then leave to cool.
- Once both grains are cool, mix them in a large bowl with the lemon & orange zest, garlic, cranberries, walnuts and spring onions.
- Mix the oil with the orange & lemon juice, garlic and a teaspoon of salt, and add with the grain mixture.
- Before serving, stir in the herbs, red cabbage & kale.
- Serve immediately.
Guiltless Granola Bars
These Guiltless Granola Bars are the perfect snack. It is crunchy, semi-sweet and...
Barbecue Marinated Grilled Chicken
الوصفه بالعربي Simple recipes do go a long way! This is one simple chicken marinade...
Zesty Fresh Spinach & Beetroot Salad
Vibrant, nutritious and full of bold textures and flavours... This salad will blow your mind away!...
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]
Butter & Herb Smashed Potatoes
These Butter & Herb Smashed Potatoes are a joy to prepare and to eat. There is something comforting about smashing the boiled unpeeled potatoes before roasting, and brushing them with the butter, garlic and herb mixture. They crisp up from the outside, while the inside stays soft and creamy, making it a delicious comfort food […]
Easy Vegetable Stir-Fry
If you are bored of daily vegetable dishes, this easy vegetable stir fry is what you are looking for. It is versatile and can be served next to main dishes from any cuisines (Egyptian, Italian, Indian). This is the basic recipe using only garlic, salt, pepper and a generous squeeze of lime juice to bind […]
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]