Gluten-Free Buckwheat Salad
By Shewekar Elgharably • June 10, 2015
- 200 gram wild rice - الأرز البري
- 200 gram buckwheat - الحنطة السوداء
- ½ lemon ( zest peeled, & juiced ) - ليمون
- ½ orange ( zest peeled & juiced) - برتقالة
- 120 ml olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 garlic clove (peeled and crushed ) - فص ثوم
- 100 gram dried cranberries - التوت البري المجفف
- 75 gram walnut - عين جمل / جوز
- 5 spring onion (thinly sliced ) - بصلة خضراء
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- handful parsley (roughly chopped ) - بقدونس
- handful red cabbage (roughly chopped) - كرنب أحمر
- 2 tablespoon basil - ريحان
- 2 tablespoon tarragon (roughly chopped ) - طرخون
- handful kale (roughly chopped & sauteed) - كيل
Step by step
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, add the wild rice and boil gently for 35-40 minutes, until the grains start to pop open and are al dente. Rinse under cold water and leave to drain.
- In another small pan, bring 400ml water to a boil. Turn the heat to very low, stir in the buckwheat, cover and cook for six to eight minutes; stir once or twice more. Set aside for a few minutes with the lid on, then leave to cool.
- Once both grains are cool, mix them in a large bowl with the lemon & orange zest, garlic, cranberries, walnuts and spring onions.
- Mix the oil with the orange & lemon juice, garlic and a teaspoon of salt, and add with the grain mixture.
- Before serving, stir in the herbs, red cabbage & kale.
- Serve immediately.
Crunchy Asian Salad
Refreshing, crunchy and full of flavour! This is the salad to choose when you are serving Asian...
Spiced Rice with Beef & Spring Onions
If you love hearty & filling homemade dishes, you will adore this one-pot Spiced Rice with...
Delicious Liver Alexandrian Style
Grilled liver is an amazing protein in taste, nutritional value and all the things you can do with...
Easy Vegetable Stir-Fry
If you are bored of daily vegetable dishes, this easy vegetable stir fry is what you are looking for. It is versatile and can be served next to main dishes from any cuisines (Egyptian, Italian, Indian). This is the basic recipe using only garlic, salt, pepper and a generous squeeze of lime juice to bind […]
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Green Pea Salad with Mint & Feta
Using simple ingredients, you can create this special and good-for-you Green Pea Salad in no time. Fresh with the greens, fragrant with the mint and full of flavour, this salad makes a great vegetarian option on hot summer days. I love to serve it with grilled steak, the combination of flavours are irresistible. However you […]