By shahdan • September 11, 2016
Not your traditional Fatta dish, this Chicken Shawerma Fatta will definitely impress the crowd, especially the younger generation that doesn’t appreciate the classic lamb version.
I find this quantity perfect for a family of four. You will need to double the quantity for bigger gatherings.
For best results, marinate the chicken overnight.
- 750 gram chicken breast fillet - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/4 cup vinegar - خل
- 1 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 2 tablespoon yoghurt - زبادي
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1/2 medium pickled lemon (finely chopped)- you may substitute with juice of 2 limes - ليمون معصفر
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1 large onion (thinly sliced) - بصلة
- 3 medium tomatoes (deseeded and cubed) - طماطم
- 1 bunch parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 2 large shamy bread - خبز شامي
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 500 gram cooked rice - ارز مطبوخ
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts (toasted- to garnish) - صنوبر
- For the yoghurt topping:
- 2 cup yoghurt - زبادي
- 1 teaspoon tahini - طحينة
- 2 small garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Using a good sharp knife, cut the chicken into thin shawerma slices.
- Marinate with vinegar, all spice, yoghurt, garlic, pickled lemon, salt and pepper. Add onion slices, mix, and leave to marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours, or for best results overnight.
- To cook the shawerma, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan or wok. (Make sure not to overcrowd a small pan so the chicken cooks properly.) Add the chicken and cook uncovered on medium heat. The chicken will release its water. Let it cook, stirring frequently, until water is absorbed and the chicken is cooked through. Turn off the heat and add tomatoes and parsley. Cover and set aside.
- To prepare the crispy bread, use scissors to cut the bread into small rectangles. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, and use your hands to rub the bread pieces with the oil. Bake in a 180 oven for 10- 15 minutes. Check frequently, and mix gently, to make sure it doesn't burn.
- In a separate bowl, mix yoghurt with tahini, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To assemble the dish, arrange the crispy bread in a medium dish. Add cooked white rice over the bread. Finally add the chicken shawerma on top. Drizzle with yoghurt dressing and garnish with pine nuts and extra parsley. Serve hot.
Avocado Orange Green Salad
This Avocado Orange Green Salad is a refreshing summer salad - great for avocado season! The...
Easy Creamy Mushroom Chicken
This Creamy Mushroom Chicken dish is easy to prepare and will always be a winner on your table. I...
Everyday Salad with Balsamic Dijon Dressing
No table is ever complete without a bowl of fresh green salad dressed in a tasty homemade...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]