By shahdan • September 11, 2016
Not your traditional Fatta dish, this Chicken Shawerma Fatta will definitely impress the crowd, especially the younger generation that doesn’t appreciate the classic lamb version.
I find this quantity perfect for a family of four. You will need to double the quantity for bigger gatherings.
For best results, marinate the chicken overnight.
- 750 gram chicken breast fillet - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/4 cup vinegar - خل
- 1 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 2 tablespoon yoghurt - زبادي
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1/2 medium pickled lemon (finely chopped)- you may substitute with juice of 2 limes - ليمون معصفر
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1 large onion (thinly sliced) - بصلة
- 3 medium tomatoes (deseeded and cubed) - طماطم
- 1 bunch parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 2 large shamy bread - خبز شامي
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 500 gram cooked rice - ارز مطبوخ
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts (toasted- to garnish) - صنوبر
- FOR THE YOGHURT:
- 2 cup yoghurt - زبادي
- 1 teaspoon tahini - طحينة
- 2 small garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Using a good sharp knife, cut the chicken into thin shawerma slices.
- Marinate with vinegar, all spice, yoghurt, garlic, pickled lemon, salt and pepper. Add onion slices, mix, and leave to marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours, or for best results overnight.
- To cook the shawerma, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan or wok. (Make sure not to overcrowd a small pan so the chicken cooks properly.) Add the chicken and cook uncovered on medium heat. The chicken will release its water. Let it cook, stirring frequently, until water is absorbed and the chicken is cooked through. Turn off the heat and add tomatoes and parsley. Cover and set aside.
- To prepare the crispy bread, use scissors to cut the bread into small rectangles. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, and use your hands to rub the bread pieces with the oil. Bake in a 180 oven for 10- 15 minutes. Check frequently, and mix gently, to make sure it doesn't burn.
- In a separate bowl, mix yoghurt with tahini, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To assemble the dish, arrange the crispy bread in a medium dish. Add cooked white rice over the bread. Finally add the chicken shawerma on top. Drizzle with yoghurt dressing and garnish with pine nuts and extra parsley. Serve hot.
Quick Coconut Chicken Curry
The Coconut Chicken Curry is a favourite in our house and my quick go-to dish on busy days. It...
Warm Halva Pudding
If you are a fan of Halva (like me), you will fall in love with this sweet and simple dessert. You...
Zesty Fresh Spinach & Beetroot Salad
Vibrant, nutritious and full of bold textures and flavours... This salad will blow your mind away!...
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.
Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes
Marinated and oven-roasted to perfection, the Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes will be your new favourite chicken recipe. The flavours and the aroma are simply divine. This is comfort food at it’s best. THE MENU Feel-Good Artichoke Soup Mixed Bean Salad Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes Vermicelli with Almonds Mini Konafa Cups
Good-for-You Bulgur Koshary
This good-for-you koshary dish can easily beat your traditional one. Made from nutritious ingredients such as bulgur, chickpeas, lentils, fresh tomatoes and oven-roasted onions, it still carries all the authentic and yummy koshary flavours without the extra carbs. Definitely a must-try if you love kohasry and are looking for a healthier recipe.
Baked Fish Fillet with Dukka & Hazelnuts
This is an easy, nutty and tasty fish recipe made with Egyptian-style Dukka and crushed hazelnuts. The herbs in most Dukka recipes are just a perfect pair to white fish while the nuts along with the sesame in the Dukka creates a light crust to the fish without covering it completely, keeping it moist and tender. You can […]