By shahdan • September 11, 2016
Not your traditional Fatta dish, this Chicken Shawerma Fatta will definitely impress the crowd, especially the younger generation that doesn’t appreciate the classic lamb version.
I find this quantity perfect for a family of four. You will need to double the quantity for bigger gatherings.
For best results, marinate the chicken overnight.
- 750 gram chicken breast fillet - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/4 cup vinegar - خل
- 1 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 2 tablespoon yoghurt - زبادي
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1/2 medium pickled lemon (finely chopped)- you may substitute with juice of 2 limes - ليمون معصفر
- 1 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 1 large onion (thinly sliced) - بصلة
- 3 medium tomatoes (deseeded and cubed) - طماطم
- 1 bunch parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 2 large shamy bread - خبز شامي
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 500 gram cooked rice - ارز مطبوخ
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts (toasted- to garnish) - صنوبر
- For the yoghurt topping:
- 2 cup yoghurt - زبادي
- 1 teaspoon tahini - طحينة
- 2 small garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Using a good sharp knife, cut the chicken into thin shawerma slices.
- Marinate with vinegar, all spice, yoghurt, garlic, pickled lemon, salt and pepper. Add onion slices, mix, and leave to marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours, or for best results overnight.
- To cook the shawerma, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan or wok. (Make sure not to overcrowd a small pan so the chicken cooks properly.) Add the chicken and cook uncovered on medium heat. The chicken will release its water. Let it cook, stirring frequently, until water is absorbed and the chicken is cooked through. Turn off the heat and add tomatoes and parsley. Cover and set aside.
- To prepare the crispy bread, use scissors to cut the bread into small rectangles. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, and use your hands to rub the bread pieces with the oil. Bake in a 180 oven for 10- 15 minutes. Check frequently, and mix gently, to make sure it doesn't burn.
- In a separate bowl, mix yoghurt with tahini, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To assemble the dish, arrange the crispy bread in a medium dish. Add cooked white rice over the bread. Finally add the chicken shawerma on top. Drizzle with yoghurt dressing and garnish with pine nuts and extra parsley. Serve hot.
Greek Chicken Souvlaki & Tzatziki
Chicken Souvlaki is the famous street food from Greece, where marinated chicken cubes are grilled...
Spinach & Cheese Pie
The Spinach and Cheese Pie is crispy from the outside and smooth(almost creamy) from the inside...
Simplified Sayyadeya Fish
This fish sayyadeya casserole is perfect for a lazy summer day. The fish is tender and delicious...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]