Cauliflower & Sweet Potato Vegetable Curry
By shahdan • January 25, 2016
This is a perfect vegetarian option especially when you need a break from regular proteins. With lots of fresh vegetables and exotic aromatic flavours, this dish is not only super nutritious, but it is also absolutely delicious. It will leave you craving for more!
- 2 large sweet potato - بطاطا
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 3 large garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 2 cm piece fresh ginger (grated) - جنزبيل
- 1 tablespoon curry - كاري
- 1 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 1/4 medium red chili pepper (finely chopped) - فلفل أحمر حار
- 1 can coconut milk (200 ml) - لبن جوز الهند
- 3 cup cauliflower (florets) - قرنبيط
- 1 cup chickpeas (cooked- or 1 can) - حمص
- 3 handful spinach (fresh leaves) - سبانخ
- 3 tablespoon coriander (fresh leaves) - كزبرة
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Peel and chop the sweet potato. Cook for 10 minutes in boiling water until tender, but not too soft. Drain the water and set aside.
- In a pot or deep wok, heat oil and sauté onions for 5 minutes on medium heat until soft. Stir in minced garlic and fresh ginger.
- Add finely chopped chili peppers, turmeric, and a generous tablespoon of good quality curry powder. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower florets and mix for 2 minutes before you stir in the coconut milk.
- Lower the heat and let it simmer until cauliflower is tender but not too soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add chickpeas, sweet potato, and fresh spinach leaves. Cover and leave to simmer for another 3 minutes - until spinach is slightly wilted.
- Adjust salt and pepper, then add fresh coriander leaves to bring in extra freshness and aroma. Serve warm next to rice or alone.
Scrumptious Homemade Pretzels
Did you know that yummy pretzels can be baked from your leftover pizza dough? Yes – this is for...
Delicious Liver Alexandrian Style
Grilled liver is an amazing protein in taste, nutritional value and all the things you can do with...
Labna & Dukka Baladi Sandwich
Such a simple day to day sandwich. You can have the filling prepared and ready in the fridge for a...
Easy Vegetable Stir-Fry
If you are bored of daily vegetable dishes, this easy vegetable stir fry is what you are looking for. It is versatile and can be served next to main dishes from any cuisines (Egyptian, Italian, Indian). This is the basic recipe using only garlic, salt, pepper and a generous squeeze of lime juice to bind […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Green Pea Salad with Mint & Feta
Using simple ingredients, you can create this special and good-for-you Green Pea Salad in no time. Fresh with the greens, fragrant with the mint and full of flavour, this salad makes a great vegetarian option on hot summer days. I love to serve it with grilled steak, the combination of flavours are irresistible. However you […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]