Red Thai Chicken Curry
By Shereen Badawi • September 28, 2015
This delicious Red Curry Chicken dish is super easy for everyday, and a great crowd pleaser for larger gatherings. For a stress- free dinner party, cook it up to one day in advance, and simply reheat and garnish before serving.
The recipe is by Shereen Badawi, from her ‘In Your Kitchen’ article with www.cairocooking.com.
- 1 kg chicken thighs (shredded) - أوراك الدجاج
- 4 carrots (shredded lengthwise) - جزر
- 1 red pepper (thinly cut) - فلفل أحمر
- 1 yellow pepper (thinly cut) - فلفل أصفر
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger (grated) - جنزبيل
- 3 tablespoon light soy sauce - صوص الصويا الخفيف
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder - بودرة جنزبيل
- 6 spring onion (stems) - بصلة خضراء
- 2 teaspoon red curry paste (you may also use green curry paste) - صلصة الكارى الحمراء
- 1 can coconut milk (a full can or 1 ¾ cups) - لبن جوز الهند
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- coriander (fresh, for garnish - optional) - كزبرة
Step by step
- In a large wok or pan, stir-fry all the veggies (except the spring onion) in 2 tbsps. olive oil until softened.
- Add the spring onions and a 1 tbsp. soy sauce for another 3 minutes. Once all is cooked, remove from heat, transfer to a dish, and set aside.
- In the same wok, add 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1/2 tbsp. fresh ginger, and stir in the chicken. Stir fry the chicken on high heat, after you add black pepper, extra ginger powder and the rest of the soy sauce. Cook the chicken until golden and cooked through.
- Add the chicken to the stir-fried veggies, cover, and set aside.
- In the same wok, mix the coconut milk with 2 teaspoon red curry paste (for medium spicy) until nicely dissolved.
- Return the chicken and veggies to the wok, season with salt and pepper, and let it simmer for a few minutes with the curry coconut milk sauce. Serve it best with yellow turmeric rice garnished with thinly sliced spring onions and fresh coriander.
Egyptian Soggok Shakshouka
الوصفه بالعربي This dish is a family favourite. We used to have it a lot in Ramadan...
Thai Shrimp Curry
Easy, exotic, and heavenly... Cook this dish to wow your guests or to treat your loved ones with...
Blackeyed Peas Salad with Parsley Dressing
This Blackeyed Peas Salad is prepared using very simple everyday ingredients that come together to...
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.
Ginger & Lemon Steak a la Jamie Oliver
الوصفة بالعربي Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Chinese Rib Eye Steak (Jamie’s 30 minutes meals series), this steak has become a favourite in our households. Unlike heavy creamy sauces that we usually serve with our meat, Jamie’s on-the-board dressing for this special steak, is light, refreshing and bursting with mind-blowing flavours. In the original recipe, the meat is rubbed with Chinese Szechwan […]