Red Thai Chicken Curry
By Shereen Badawi • September 28, 2015
This delicious Red Curry Chicken dish is super easy for everyday, and a great crowd pleaser for larger gatherings. For a stress- free dinner party, cook it up to one day in advance, and simply reheat and garnish before serving.
The recipe is by Shereen Badawi, from her ‘In Your Kitchen’ article with www.cairocooking.com.
- 1 kg chicken thighs (shredded) - أوراك الدجاج
- 4 carrots (shredded lengthwise) - جزر
- 1 red pepper (thinly cut) - فلفل أحمر
- 1 yellow pepper (thinly cut) - فلفل أصفر
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger (grated) - جنزبيل
- 3 tablespoon light soy sauce - صوص الصويا الخفيف
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder - بودرة جنزبيل
- 6 spring onion (stems) - بصلة خضراء
- 2 teaspoon red curry paste (you may also use green curry paste) - صلصة الكارى الحمراء
- 1 can coconut milk (a full can or 1 ¾ cups) - لبن جوز الهند
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- coriander (fresh, for garnish - optional) - كزبرة
Step by step
- In a large wok or pan, stir-fry all the veggies (except the spring onion) in 2 tbsps. olive oil until softened.
- Add the spring onions and a 1 tbsp. soy sauce for another 3 minutes. Once all is cooked, remove from heat, transfer to a dish, and set aside.
- In the same wok, add 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1/2 tbsp. fresh ginger, and stir in the chicken. Stir fry the chicken on high heat, after you add black pepper, extra ginger powder and the rest of the soy sauce. Cook the chicken until golden and cooked through.
- Add the chicken to the stir-fried veggies, cover, and set aside.
- In the same wok, mix the coconut milk with 2 teaspoon red curry paste (for medium spicy) until nicely dissolved.
- Return the chicken and veggies to the wok, season with salt and pepper, and let it simmer for a few minutes with the curry coconut milk sauce. Serve it best with yellow turmeric rice garnished with thinly sliced spring onions and fresh coriander.
Originally a traditional Russian dish, Beef Stroganoff is always a crowd pleaser! It is easy to...
Oriental Mezza: Lupini & Chickpeas
A typical Egyptian mezza platter that is healthy, nutritious and filling. This platter is so easy...
Soft Shrimp Rolls
This is such an easy and convenient recipe that you can prepare for the guests you want...
Chicken & Chickpea Fatta
Flavourful chicken slices and lemony chickpeas are served over a bed of sumac-seasoned crispy bread and covered with a rich garlicky yoghurt-tahini sauce. This is an easy yet super tasty version of everyone’s favourite fatta. For best results, make sure the yoghurt is at room temperature before assembling the dish. This will ensure that the […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]