Red Thai Chicken Curry
By Shereen Badawi • September 28, 2015
This delicious Red Curry Chicken dish is super easy for everyday, and a great crowd pleaser for larger gatherings. For a stress- free dinner party, cook it up to one day in advance, and simply reheat and garnish before serving.
The recipe is by Shereen Badawi, from her ‘In Your Kitchen’ article with www.cairocooking.com.
- 1 kg chicken thighs (shredded) - أوراك الدجاج
- 4 carrots (shredded lengthwise) - جزر
- 1 red pepper (thinly cut) - فلفل أحمر
- 1 yellow pepper (thinly cut) - فلفل أصفر
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger (grated) - جنزبيل
- 3 tablespoon light soy sauce - صوص الصويا الخفيف
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder - بودرة جنزبيل
- 6 spring onion (stems) - بصلة خضراء
- 2 teaspoon red curry paste (you may also use green curry paste) - صلصة الكارى الحمراء
- 1 can coconut milk (a full can or 1 ¾ cups) - لبن جوز الهند
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- coriander (fresh, for garnish - optional) - كزبرة
Step by step
- In a large wok or pan, stir-fry all the veggies (except the spring onion) in 2 tbsps. olive oil until softened.
- Add the spring onions and a 1 tbsp. soy sauce for another 3 minutes. Once all is cooked, remove from heat, transfer to a dish, and set aside.
- In the same wok, add 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1/2 tbsp. fresh ginger, and stir in the chicken. Stir fry the chicken on high heat, after you add black pepper, extra ginger powder and the rest of the soy sauce. Cook the chicken until golden and cooked through.
- Add the chicken to the stir-fried veggies, cover, and set aside.
- In the same wok, mix the coconut milk with 2 teaspoon red curry paste (for medium spicy) until nicely dissolved.
- Return the chicken and veggies to the wok, season with salt and pepper, and let it simmer for a few minutes with the curry coconut milk sauce. Serve it best with yellow turmeric rice garnished with thinly sliced spring onions and fresh coriander.
Traditional Foul BelKhalta
الوصفة بالعربي This traditional foul belKhalta is a family favourite recipe, that we...
Creamy Turmeric Chicken
الوصفة بالعربي This Creamy Turmeric Chicken is a favourite in our house. I like to...
Pesto Baked Mussels
This is one of my favorite dishes at one of those pot mussels restaurants. It is so simple yet...
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Kofta Panee is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely for […]
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Oven-Baked Fish with Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي The beauty of this homemade oven-baked fish lies in its simplicity. Unlike most ready-cooked fish dishes in Egypt that use many herbs and spices, this marinade is very basic which allows you to enjoy the pure and delicious taste of white fish meat. I am using sea bream fish (دنيس), yet you can […]