Bolognese Sauce with Hidden Veggies
By shahdan • May 30, 2016
A relatively long list of ingredients, but it guarantees one wholesome meal for your family. It is full of minced beef, healthy vegetables and fresh tomatoes so it is perfect for children who do not eat lots of veggies. Serve it on spaghetti, or on little pasta shells for younger children who like to eat their pasta with a spoon.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (or vegetable oil) - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion (diced) - بصلة
- 1 large carrot (grated) - جزرة
- 2-3 large zucchini (grated) - كوسة
- 2 stick celery (diced) - كرفس افرنجي
- 1 handful spinach (optional) - سبانخ
- 3 large garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon thyme (or 3 fresh sprigs) - زعتر
- 500 gram minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 500 gram tomatoes (diced) - طماطم
- 500 gram tomatoes (pureed fresh tomatoes in the food processor with ¼ cup water ) - طماطم
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar - سكر
- 2 teaspoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 1 bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 1 handful basil - ريحان
Step by step
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pot. Add diced onions and celery. Cook for around 5 minutes on medium/low heat, until onion is transparent and soft but not brown.
- Add the grated carrots, zucchini, crushed garlic and stir for another 3 minutes.
- Add minced beef, 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and use a wooden spoon to crumble and mix the beef with the veggies. The beef will release its water. Leave to cook until it has absorbed most of its juices (about 10-15 minutes).
- You may add a handful finely chopped fresh spinach leaves if you choose to.
- Add chopped tomatoes and tomato juice, sugar, bay leaf, thyme and tomato paste for a richer red colour. Sugar balances the taste of sour tomatoes.
- Stir everything together, cover and leave to simmer on the lowest heat for 45-60 minutes.
- Serve it with your favourite pasta and garnish with fresh basil.
- (A useful shortcut, is to substitute the fresh chopped tomatoes and the tomato juice with two large jars of any ready-made pasta sauce (in step 5), and follow the rest of the directions, bearing in mind the sauce will not need to simmer for more than 30 minutes.
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted...
Roast Beef with Almond, Hazel & Pine Nuts Sauce
Recipe submitted by Rasha ElBaramawy. The roast beef dressed in this low fat nutty sauce is...
Soft Shrimp Rolls
This is such an easy and convenient recipe that you can prepare for the guests you want...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is also a great sohour idea in Ramadan. In this recipe, old fashioned oats (not quick or instant oats), are cooked in water until a thick porridge consistency is reached. Then a splash of dairy or non-dairy milk is […]
Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It’s crispy on the outside with a cracked top and extra chewy and soft in the inside. Once you try it it’s going to be a staple at your house. This recipe is adapted from Ovenly’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe […]