Authentic Neapolitan Italian Pizza
By Taymour Farid • October 29, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
What makes up for the relatively long process of the pizza dough preparation (plus resting time), is the impeccable quality of the final pizza! Restaurant- quality to say the least!
There is nothing quite as comforting as a home-baked treat that fills the house with heart-warming aroma. This special recipe is the Farid’s favourite authentic homemade pizza which the couple shares with CairoCooking as part of the ‘In Your Kitchen’ series. This is their own tried and tested version of the original recipe they found on www.seriouseats.com. Read full article here.
To turn the same pizza dough into the most delicious chewy pretzels, click here.
- 4 cup flour - دقيق
- 2 teaspoon dry yeast - خميرة جافة
- 350 ml water (1 1/2 cup) - ماء
- 2 teaspoon sugar - سكر
- 2 teaspoon salt (kosher salt) - ملح
- 4 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 4 medium tomatoes - طماطم
- 350 gram buffalo mozzarella (fresh mozarella balls) - جبنة موزاريلا جاموسي
- 6 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil - زيت الزيتون بكر
- 1 bunch basil (or to taste) - ريحان
Step by step
- Combine flour, salt, yeast, and sugar in a bowl. Add water and mix with your hands until the dough comes together.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes then work the dough again for another 10 minutes. The dough should not be sticky and you may need to add additional flour. Divide the dough into 2 balls and transfer to sealed zipper bags in the fridge for 8- 72 hours. Each bag will yield 3 pizzas.
- Dust your work surface with flour. Roll out the dough and stretch it all around then divide each dough into 3 equal sized dough balls. Grease 6 small bowls with oil, add one dough ball in each bowl, lightly grease it with oil and cover with cling film (plastic wrap).
- Allow to rise for 2 hours in room temperature.
- Chop the tomatoes and transfer them in a blender with the tomato paste. Blend slowly with short intervals, the sauce should still have tomato chunks and should not be a puree. Original recipe calls for salt here but Egyptian tomato paste is usually salty, so salt is not needed.
- Next, wash and dry the basil.
- If you are using fresh mozzarella, cut it and place it between 2 clean towels to take away all its moisture. If mozzarella is not dry the pizza will end up being soggy. Skip this step if you are using the regular grated mozzarella from the supermarket.
- To put the pizza together, flip one dough ball in a bowl of flour and pat it. Roll out the dough into a circle shaped thin layer on a floured surface, and use your hands to thicken the edges.
- Dust an empty pizza skillet or stone with flour, tap out the excess, and place in a very high temperature oven (300 degrees) for 15 minutes until it’s very hot.
- Place the rolled out pizza dough on the hot skillet.
- Work quickly to add 2 tbsps. tomato sauce (leaving the edges clean), mozzarella, basil, and a drizzle olive oil, then move your pizza to the already very hot oven. The dough will start its baking process once it is placed on the hot skillet. Leave the pizza in a very hot oven (300) on the highest oven rack level for 5 minutes or until the mozzarella melts. Enjoy the best home-made pizza ever.
- Repeat to bake the rest of the pizzas, OR turn the pizza dough into pretzels (by following the link in recipe introduction).
Chicken Strips with Pickled Lemon Sauce
الوصفة بالعربي A new take on chicken that is not just lovely when you're cooking for...
Citrus Couscous with Vegetables & Herbs
A colourful side dish, full of texture and flavour! Serve it with your favourite grilled meat...
Circkle Crackle Nut Candies
These nut candies are such a yummy, sweet and crunchy dessert in little balls. Nuts, seeds, coconut...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]