Authentic Neapolitan Italian Pizza
By Taymour Farid • October 29, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
What makes up for the relatively long process of the pizza dough preparation (plus resting time), is the impeccable quality of the final pizza! Restaurant- quality to say the least!
There is nothing quite as comforting as a home-baked treat that fills the house with heart-warming aroma. This special recipe is the Farid’s favourite authentic homemade pizza which the couple shares with CairoCooking as part of the ‘In Your Kitchen’ series. This is their own tried and tested version of the original recipe they found on www.seriouseats.com. Read full article here.
To turn the same pizza dough into the most delicious chewy pretzels, click here.
- 4 cup flour - دقيق
- 2 teaspoon dry yeast - خميرة جافة
- 350 ml water (1 1/2 cup) - ماء
- 2 teaspoon sugar - سكر
- 2 teaspoon salt (kosher salt) - ملح
- 4 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 4 medium tomatoes - طماطم
- 350 gram buffalo mozzarella (fresh mozarella balls) - جبنة موزاريلا جاموسي
- 6 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil - زيت الزيتون بكر
- 1 bunch basil (or to taste) - ريحان
Step by step
- Combine flour, salt, yeast, and sugar in a bowl. Add water and mix with your hands until the dough comes together.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes then work the dough again for another 10 minutes. The dough should not be sticky and you may need to add additional flour. Divide the dough into 2 balls and transfer to sealed zipper bags in the fridge for 8- 72 hours. Each bag will yield 3 pizzas.
- Dust your work surface with flour. Roll out the dough and stretch it all around then divide each dough into 3 equal sized dough balls. Grease 6 small bowls with oil, add one dough ball in each bowl, lightly grease it with oil and cover with cling film (plastic wrap).
- Allow to rise for 2 hours in room temperature.
- Chop the tomatoes and transfer them in a blender with the tomato paste. Blend slowly with short intervals, the sauce should still have tomato chunks and should not be a puree. Original recipe calls for salt here but Egyptian tomato paste is usually salty, so salt is not needed.
- Next, wash and dry the basil.
- If you are using fresh mozzarella, cut it and place it between 2 clean towels to take away all its moisture. If mozzarella is not dry the pizza will end up being soggy. Skip this step if you are using the regular grated mozzarella from the supermarket.
- To put the pizza together, flip one dough ball in a bowl of flour and pat it. Roll out the dough into a circle shaped thin layer on a floured surface, and use your hands to thicken the edges.
- Dust an empty pizza skillet or stone with flour, tap out the excess, and place in a very high temperature oven (300 degrees) for 15 minutes until it’s very hot.
- Place the rolled out pizza dough on the hot skillet.
- Work quickly to add 2 tbsps. tomato sauce (leaving the edges clean), mozzarella, basil, and a drizzle olive oil, then move your pizza to the already very hot oven. The dough will start its baking process once it is placed on the hot skillet. Leave the pizza in a very hot oven (300) on the highest oven rack level for 5 minutes or until the mozzarella melts. Enjoy the best home-made pizza ever.
- Repeat to bake the rest of the pizzas, OR turn the pizza dough into pretzels (by following the link in recipe introduction).
Farmer’s Brunch Omelet
Last time I was visiting Germany, I ate this amazing Bauernkartoffeleier – an omelet specialty of...
Hearty Chicken Strips with Carrots & Potatoes
This Chicken Strips with Carrot & Potato Cubes dish was inspired by an old Egyptian recipe...
Dill & Lemon Salmon Tagliatelle
Succulent and flaky salmon chunks are served on a bed of Italian tagliatelle and covered with a...
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]