Hearty Chicken Strips with Carrots & Potatoes
By yasmine • July 22, 2016
This Chicken Strips with Carrot & Potato Cubes dish was inspired by an old Egyptian recipe ‘Kabab Halla’ or Meat Cubes with Carrots & Potatoes. With some left-over chicken fillets, I decided to try out this dish using chicken instead of meat. It turned out hearty and delicious that the whole family enjoyed it. It is definitely an innovative full meal prepared in less than 45 minutes with little hands-on.
Dusting the chicken with flour gives it a crisp as well as helps thicken the sauce as it cooks through in the last step.
- 600-700 gram chicken breast fillet (cut in strips or cubes) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/2 cup flour - دقيق
- 2 medium carrots (peeled & cut in cubes) - جزر
- 1 large potatoes (peeled & cut in cubes) - بطاطس
- 1 large onion (minced) - بصلة
- 6 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1.5 cup chicken broth/stock (OR water) - مرقة دجاج
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Cut chicken fillets into strips or cubes (about 4-5 pieces per fillet). Season with salt and pepper and smear in the flour.
- In a large deep pan, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil on medium heat. Fry chicken strips until golden on all sides (about 5 minutes). It does not have to cook through yet. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, add 3 more tablespoons olive oil and fry the potato and carrot cubes until slightly golden. It does not have to cook through yet. Set aside.
- Using the leftover oil in the pan, fry minced onion until translucent (about 7 minutes). Add chicken and root vegetables and stir. Season with salt and pepper then add warm broth or water.
- Let it come to a boil then lower heat and stir occasionally. Let it is sizzle for about 15 minutes or until all is cooked through and the sauce has thickened. Adjust seasoning and serve warm next to rice and a salad for a complete meal.
Light Garlic Green Beans with Pine Nuts
A change to traditional green beans recipes, these garlicky green beans with pine nuts make a...
Fig Tarte Bourdaloue
This dessert is very easy to prepare and very tasty. After figs season is over, I will be...
Simple 6 Layer Salad
A healthy and filling salad you can prepare with whatever you have in your kitchen and munch on...
One Pot Chicken Freekeh
A one-pot meal, this chicken freekeh will be your favourite go to when you want a hearty and delicious meal the whole family will enjoy. You can also serve it in a gathering since it looks lovely in a big dish. Heartwarming, wholesome and delicious the Chicken Freekeh is definitely
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken & Chickpea Fatta
Flavourful chicken slices and lemony chickpeas are served over a bed of sumac-seasoned crispy bread and covered with a rich garlicky yoghurt-tahini sauce. This is an easy yet super tasty version of everyone’s favourite fatta. For best results, make sure the yoghurt is at room temperature before assembling the dish. This will ensure that the […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]