Coffee-Rubbed Beef Fillet Chunk
By yasmine • May 10, 2015
Yes, coffee! It’s bitter, it creates a beautiful crust to the meat and most importantly the recipe is super-easy…with a twist!
Choose your favourite type of coffee to create your own unique coffee rub – the freshly grinded the better! I preferred the typical Turkish coffee بن محوج – cause it usually has cumin and some Arabic spices mixed in already.
- 1.5 - 2 kg beef fillet (1 piece) - فيليه كندوز
- 2 tablespoon coffee (powdered) - قهوة
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (or 3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic) - بودرة ثوم
- 1 tablespoon salt - ملح
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- olive oil (for cooking) - زيت زيتون
Step by step
- Make sure your veal is at room temperature before attempting to cook it. Mix the coffee, garlic, salt and pepper to create a rich rub. Then rub the defrosted veal chunk all over with it.
- If you like your meat medium or well-done, preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Put olive oil in a large pan on medium heat then fry the veal chunk on all sides for 5 to 10 minutes until browned.
- For rare doneness, lower the heat and continue frying while turning on all sides for another 10 minutes. If you prefer your meat cooked medium, place it in the oven for another 10-15 minutes and up to 25 minutes for well-done. Please try the finger test for meat doneness to be sure since each oven varies.
- Once the meat is cooked, cover it with foil or parchment paper and let it rest up to 30 minutes before you serve it or cut into it. We like to serve it as a whole chunk on a wooden board so the guests enjoy cutting their own pieces according to doneness and size.
Mashed Sweet Potato with a Twist
Bored of the daily rice, pasta and mashed potatoes? This side dish will wow your family and...
Couscous Salad with Vegetables & Herbs
A colourful side dish, full of texture and flavour! Serve it with your favourite grilled meat...
Hearty Harira Soup
الوصفة بالعربي My parents lived in Algeria for a year before I was born. There, my...
One Pot Chicken Freekeh
A one-pot meal, this chicken freekeh will be your favourite go to when you want a hearty and delicious meal the whole family will enjoy. You can also serve it in a gathering since it looks lovely in a big dish. Heartwarming, wholesome and delicious the Chicken Freekeh is definitely
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken & Chickpea Fatta
Flavourful chicken slices and lemony chickpeas are served over a bed of sumac-seasoned crispy bread and covered with a rich garlicky yoghurt-tahini sauce. This is an easy yet super tasty version of everyone’s favourite fatta. For best results, make sure the yoghurt is at room temperature before assembling the dish. This will ensure that the […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]