Red Cabbage Warm Salad
By yasmine • August 14, 2015
This red cabbage warm salad is a nice change to your traditional greens-based salads. The sweetness from the cinnamon and apple makes it heartwarming and a great companion to proteins especially as a relish in a beef sandwich or a fish wrap.
Did I mention how nutritious red cabbage is? It is a great way to eat it for those who usually get stomach pains from red cabbage. These will enjoy this recipe since it wilts the red cabbage properly making it less harmful on your stomach without compensating on the nutrients.
- 1/4-1/2 whole red cabbage (depends on size - cored & cut thinly lengthways) - كرنب أحمر
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 apple (peeled & diced) - تفاحة
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 2 cup broth - مرقة
- 1-2 bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1/4 vinegar (preferably apple vinegar but all goes) - خل
- 1 tablespoon sugar (OR honey) - سكر
- 1 large onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
Step by step
- In a medium pot, fry the onions in olive oil on medium heat until translucent (about 8 minutes).
- Add red cabbage, generous salt and pepper, bay leaf, sugar, cinnamon and vinegar and stir until all combined with onions.
- Add the broth, let it come to a boil then lower the heat and cover. Let the red cabbage cook for about 30-45 minutes or until it is wilted and al dente.
- Just before taking it off the heat, add the diced apples and stir a couple of times. Take it off the heat and let it cool before you serve it in a large bowl.
Daim Double Chocolate Cake
The cake is a result of a random thought that struck at a moment of boredom motivating me to try...
Honey Cinnamon Toasties
From 12 months. Make your kids happy with those yummy sweet toasties. Healthy, super simple, and...
Mini Konafa Cups
These mini Konafa cups are so easy to prepare and just optimal for small gatherings. You can...
Quinoa Salad with Mint & Pomegranate Seeds
Light and refreshing, this quinoa salad tastes delicious and is packed with nutrients. It can be prepared in advance and put in the lunchbox for work, or as a side dish for dinner.
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.