Red Cabbage Warm Salad
By yasmine • August 14, 2015
This red cabbage warm salad is a nice change to your traditional greens-based salads. The sweetness from the cinnamon and apple makes it heartwarming and a great companion to proteins especially as a relish in a beef sandwich or a fish wrap.
Did I mention how nutritious red cabbage is? It is a great way to eat it for those who usually get stomach pains from red cabbage. These will enjoy this recipe since it wilts the red cabbage properly making it less harmful on your stomach without compensating on the nutrients.
- 1/4-1/2 whole red cabbage (depends on size - cored & cut thinly lengthways) - كرنب أحمر
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 apple (peeled & diced) - تفاحة
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 2 cup broth - مرقة
- 1-2 bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1/4 vinegar (preferably apple vinegar but all goes) - خل
- 1 tablespoon sugar (OR honey) - سكر
- 1 large onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
Step by step
- In a medium pot, fry the onions in olive oil on medium heat until translucent (about 8 minutes).
- Add red cabbage, generous salt and pepper, bay leaf, sugar, cinnamon and vinegar and stir until all combined with onions.
- Add the broth, let it come to a boil then lower the heat and cover. Let the red cabbage cook for about 30-45 minutes or until it is wilted and al dente.
- Just before taking it off the heat, add the diced apples and stir a couple of times. Take it off the heat and let it cool before you serve it in a large bowl.
My friend prepared these for a kids party and they were a big hit! Both, kids and grown ups, loved...
Cucumber & Carrot Pickles
الوصفة بالعربي A bowl of pickles is always a plus on the table. It also adds a new...
Tender & Juicy Chicken Breast Fillets
الوصفه بالعربي On busy days, most people choose to cook chicken breast fillets,...
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the summer when the weather is too hot for good quality fresh lettuce. Serve it with Greek Chicken Souvlaki & flat bread to enjoy a full authentic Greek meal.
Brown Rice Mujaddara
A wholesome comfort dish from the Levant, this Rice Mujaddara is vegan, full of protein and definite winner for any family meal. We used brown rice instead of regular, to heighten its nutritional value and it turned out incredibly tasty with the earthy flavors of the lentils. Serve it with a simple green salad with […]