Red Cabbage Warm Salad
By yasmine • August 14, 2015
This red cabbage warm salad is a nice change to your traditional greens-based salads. The sweetness from the cinnamon and apple makes it heartwarming and a great companion to proteins especially as a relish in a beef sandwich or a fish wrap.
Did I mention how nutritious red cabbage is? It is a great way to eat it for those who usually get stomach pains from red cabbage. These will enjoy this recipe since it wilts the red cabbage properly making it less harmful on your stomach without compensating on the nutrients.
- 1/4-1/2 whole red cabbage (depends on size - cored & cut thinly lengthways) - كرنب أحمر
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 apple (peeled & diced) - تفاحة
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 2 cup broth - مرقة
- 1-2 bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1/4 vinegar (preferably apple vinegar but all goes) - خل
- 1 tablespoon sugar (OR honey) - سكر
- 1 large onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
Step by step
- In a medium pot, fry the onions in olive oil on medium heat until translucent (about 8 minutes).
- Add red cabbage, generous salt and pepper, bay leaf, sugar, cinnamon and vinegar and stir until all combined with onions.
- Add the broth, let it come to a boil then lower the heat and cover. Let the red cabbage cook for about 30-45 minutes or until it is wilted and al dente.
- Just before taking it off the heat, add the diced apples and stir a couple of times. Take it off the heat and let it cool before you serve it in a large bowl.
This pan-seared scallops recipe is very easy and simple. Scallops are highly nutritious, full of...
Guiltless Creamy Chicken Mushroom
الوصفة بالعربي This guiltless creamy chicken is so good, it can become an...
No-Bake Cheesy Spinach Bechamel
This Cheesy Spinach Bechamel recipe is fast, easy and perfect for everyday when you don’t have...
Simple, delicious, and the perfect companion to any protein dish especially fish! With some simple ingredients, the simple zucchini is transferred into a succulent vegan and wholesome side dish in 20 minutes.
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy. The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also […]
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]