Red Cabbage Warm Salad
By yasmine • August 14, 2015
This red cabbage warm salad is a nice change to your traditional greens-based salads. The sweetness from the cinnamon and apple makes it heartwarming and a great companion to proteins especially as a relish in a beef sandwich or a fish wrap.
Did I mention how nutritious red cabbage is? It is a great way to eat it for those who usually get stomach pains from red cabbage. These will enjoy this recipe since it wilts the red cabbage properly making it less harmful on your stomach without compensating on the nutrients.
- 1/4-1/2 whole red cabbage (depends on size - cored & cut thinly lengthways) - كرنب أحمر
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 apple (peeled & diced) - تفاحة
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 2 cup broth - مرقة
- 1-2 bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1/4 vinegar (preferably apple vinegar but all goes) - خل
- 1 tablespoon sugar (OR honey) - سكر
- 1 large onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
Step by step
- In a medium pot, fry the onions in olive oil on medium heat until translucent (about 8 minutes).
- Add red cabbage, generous salt and pepper, bay leaf, sugar, cinnamon and vinegar and stir until all combined with onions.
- Add the broth, let it come to a boil then lower the heat and cover. Let the red cabbage cook for about 30-45 minutes or until it is wilted and al dente.
- Just before taking it off the heat, add the diced apples and stir a couple of times. Take it off the heat and let it cool before you serve it in a large bowl.
If you find yourself cooking rice daily, you may want to try cooking freekeh instead. It is...
Turmeric Coconut Lentil Soup
The flavors in this good-for-you Coconut Lentil Soup are simply phenomenal. With turmeric, ginger,...
Delicious Low-Calorie Carrot Cake
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. Almost 390...
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.
Ginger & Lemon Steak a la Jamie Oliver
الوصفة بالعربي Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Chinese Rib Eye Steak (Jamie’s 30 minutes meals series), this steak has become a favourite in our households. Unlike heavy creamy sauces that we usually serve with our meat, Jamie’s on-the-board dressing for this special steak, is light, refreshing and bursting with mind-blowing flavours. In the original recipe, the meat is rubbed with Chinese Szechwan […]