Zaatar & Lime Chicken with Roasted Onions
By yasmine • February 11, 2020
If you bought or were gifted Zaatar mix from Lebanon or Palestine, then this Zaatar & Lime Chicken dish is just what you need to savor this beautiful authentic herb mix along with a citrussy and tender juicy chicken.
Aromatic, succulent and full of flavor, this recipe is straightforward and easy to execute. The addition of the baby red onions ensures a crunchy sweet signature to the dish. Serve it with white rice, vermicelli or freekeh and a green salad for a full meal.
- 1/3 cup olive oil (divided) - زيت زيتون
- 2 tablespoon sumac (divided) - سماق
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- red onions - بصل أحمر
- 5 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 4 lime (juiced) - ليمون بلدي
- 4 tablespoon Zaatar - زعتر محوج
- 1 whole chicken (quartered) - دجاج
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate seeds - بذور رمان
- 2 tablespoon coriander (finely chopped) - كزبرة
Step by step
- Place baby onions in an oven dish and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon sumac and generous amount of salt & pepper. Use your hands to distribute the marinade. Set aside.
- To prepare the chicken marinade, combine the rest of the olive oil, sumac, zaatar, minced garlic and lime juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir.
- Tip the marinade over the chicken quarters and make sure to distribute it evenly and between the chicken meat and skin.
- Place the marinated chicken over the onions and cover. Place it in the fridge for one hour or overnight to get all the flavors in.
- To roast the chicken, preheat oven to 200C. Place the tray uncovered for 15 minutes, then lower heat to 180C. Cover the tray and leave it for another 30 minutes or until completely cooked-through and moist.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes covered before you garnish with pomegranate seeds and freshly chopped coriander. Serve warm.
One famous childhood recipe... This is how my grandma used to serve artichokes. It makes a great...
Special Minty Zucchini
الوصفة بالعربي This is a simple yet delicious vegetable dish using ingredients...
Baked Kofta Rolls
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. It's a very easy...
Quinoa Salad with Mint & Pomegranate Seeds
Light and refreshing, this quinoa salad tastes delicious and is packed with nutrients. It can be prepared in advance and put in the lunchbox for work, or as a side dish for dinner.
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.