Zaatar & Lime Chicken with Roasted Onions
By yasmine • February 11, 2020
If you bought or were gifted Zaatar mix from Lebanon or Palestine, then this Zaatar & Lime Chicken dish is just what you need to savor this beautiful authentic herb mix along with a citrussy and tender juicy chicken.
Aromatic, succulent and full of flavor, this recipe is straightforward and easy to execute. The addition of the baby red onions ensures a crunchy sweet signature to the dish. Serve it with white rice, vermicelli or freekeh and a green salad for a full meal.
- 1/3 cup olive oil (divided) - زيت زيتون
- 2 tablespoon sumac (divided) - سماق
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- red onions - بصل أحمر
- 5 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 4 lime (juiced) - ليمون بلدي
- 4 tablespoon Zaatar - زعتر محوج
- 1 whole chicken (quartered) - دجاج
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate seeds - بذور رمان
- 2 tablespoon coriander (finely chopped) - كزبرة
Step by step
- Place baby onions in an oven dish and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon sumac and generous amount of salt & pepper. Use your hands to distribute the marinade. Set aside.
- To prepare the chicken marinade, combine the rest of the olive oil, sumac, zaatar, minced garlic and lime juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir.
- Tip the marinade over the chicken quarters and make sure to distribute it evenly and between the chicken meat and skin.
- Place the marinated chicken over the onions and cover. Place it in the fridge for one hour or overnight to get all the flavors in.
- To roast the chicken, preheat oven to 200C. Place the tray uncovered for 15 minutes, then lower heat to 180C. Cover the tray and leave it for another 30 minutes or until completely cooked-through and moist.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes covered before you garnish with pomegranate seeds and freshly chopped coriander. Serve warm.
Classic Egyptian Lentils
A beautiful and filling Sohour dish, these delicious lentils always get the most attention on any...
Traditional Macaroni Béchamel
No matter how creative we cook, a classic macaroni béchamel will always be a family favourite!...
Light Garlic Green Beans with Pine Nuts
A change to traditional green beans recipes, these garlicky green beans with pine nuts make a...
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy. The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also […]
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]