Zaatar & Lime Chicken with Roasted Onions
By yasmine • February 11, 2020
If you bought or were gifted Zaatar mix from Lebanon or Palestine, then this Zaatar & Lime Chicken dish is just what you need to savor this beautiful authentic herb mix along with a citrussy and tender juicy chicken.
Aromatic, succulent and full of flavor, this recipe is straightforward and easy to execute. The addition of the baby red onions ensures a crunchy sweet signature to the dish. Serve it with white rice, vermicelli or freekeh and a green salad for a full meal.
- 1/3 cup olive oil (divided) - زيت زيتون
- 2 tablespoon sumac (divided) - سماق
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- red onions - بصل أحمر
- 5 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 4 lime (juiced) - ليمون بلدي
- 4 tablespoon Zaatar - زعتر محوج
- 1 whole chicken (quartered) - دجاج
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate seeds - بذور رمان
- 2 tablespoon coriander (finely chopped) - كزبرة
Step by step
- Place baby onions in an oven dish and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon sumac and generous amount of salt & pepper. Use your hands to distribute the marinade. Set aside.
- To prepare the chicken marinade, combine the rest of the olive oil, sumac, zaatar, minced garlic and lime juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir.
- Tip the marinade over the chicken quarters and make sure to distribute it evenly and between the chicken meat and skin.
- Place the marinated chicken over the onions and cover. Place it in the fridge for one hour or overnight to get all the flavors in.
- To roast the chicken, preheat oven to 200C. Place the tray uncovered for 15 minutes, then lower heat to 180C. Cover the tray and leave it for another 30 minutes or until completely cooked-through and moist.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes covered before you garnish with pomegranate seeds and freshly chopped coriander. Serve warm.
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or...
Creamy Chicken Mushroom with Spinach & Corn
Creamy Chicken Mushroom is always a crowd pleaser and a hearty home-cooked dish. The spinach...
Luscious White Chocolate Lava Cake
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish competition in collaboration with Easy-pan.com This cake...
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.
Ginger & Lemon Steak a la Jamie Oliver
الوصفة بالعربي Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Chinese Rib Eye Steak (Jamie’s 30 minutes meals series), this steak has become a favourite in our households. Unlike heavy creamy sauces that we usually serve with our meat, Jamie’s on-the-board dressing for this special steak, is light, refreshing and bursting with mind-blowing flavours. In the original recipe, the meat is rubbed with Chinese Szechwan […]