Winter-Warming Roasted Chestnuts
By yasmine • December 15, 2015
You know that cold winter night when you just need to cuddle on the sofa and nibble at something? Well… ‘just-out-of-the-oven chestnuts’ are definitely the answer!
This is not just a regular winter warmer, it is also a lavish treat to your guests this festive season. Just have them prepared in the oven, then as your guests arrive, switch the oven on and serve them warm for an easy yet impressive appetizer.
- 500 gram chestnuts (OR calculate 100-150g per person)
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Then wipe the fresh chestnuts with a towel (avoid water).
- On the flat part of the chestnut, make a plus-sign incision using a sharp knife. Make sure you cut through the skin. This is not just to help it cook through in the oven, but also to let the hot steam out avoiding the chestnut exploding in the oven.
- Spread the chestnuts over an oven tray making sure the incised side is up (to release the steam). Place the tray in the oven for 20-30 minutes (depends on the size of the chestnuts) or until the inside is softened and cooked.
- Mount them together in a kitchen towel hold tight and start adding pressure. You will hear them crackling as some of the shell falls off. Even with the best roasting, only little of the shells falls off, the rest has to be done each on its own. Serve them warm and semi-shelled to your guests since this is half the fun!
Fig Tarte Bourdaloue
This dessert is very easy to prepare and very tasty. After figs season is over, I will be...
Salmon with Cold Fresh Oriental Salsa
Inspired by the traditional fattoush, this out-of-the-box salmon dish is fresh, lemony and full of...
This pan-seared scallops recipe is very easy and simple. Scallops are highly nutritious, full of...
Green Pea Salad with Mint & Feta
Using simple ingredients, you can create this special and good-for-you Green Pea Salad in no time. Fresh with the greens, fragrant with the mint and full of flavour, this salad makes a great vegetarian option on hot summer days. I love to serve it with grilled steak, the combination of flavours are irresistible. However you […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Indian Chicken with Spiced Yoghurt
Fragrant, moist and delicious, this Indian Spiced chicken dish will definitely impress. It is best served with Raita (spiced yoghurt) and Turmeric Basmati Rice. Garam Masala is an Indian Spice mix found in big supermarkets or at the عطار.
Cucumber and Chickpea Herb Salad
Hearty and delicious, this easy-to-put-together Cucumber & Chickpea Salad will be your new go-to salad for your family & friends. It is super healthy and works as a scrumptious side dish to your grilled protein when you are looking for a filling carb-like option.