Winter-Warming Roasted Chestnuts
By yasmine • December 15, 2015
You know that cold winter night when you just need to cuddle on the sofa and nibble at something? Well… ‘just-out-of-the-oven chestnuts’ are definitely the answer!
This is not just a regular winter warmer, it is also a lavish treat to your guests this festive season. Just have them prepared in the oven, then as your guests arrive, switch the oven on and serve them warm for an easy yet impressive appetizer.
- 500 gram chestnuts (OR calculate 100-150g per person)
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Then wipe the fresh chestnuts with a towel (avoid water).
- On the flat part of the chestnut, make a plus-sign incision using a sharp knife. Make sure you cut through the skin. This is not just to help it cook through in the oven, but also to let the hot steam out avoiding the chestnut exploding in the oven.
- Spread the chestnuts over an oven tray making sure the incised side is up (to release the steam). Place the tray in the oven for 20-30 minutes (depends on the size of the chestnuts) or until the inside is softened and cooked.
- Mount them together in a kitchen towel hold tight and start adding pressure. You will hear them crackling as some of the shell falls off. Even with the best roasting, only little of the shells falls off, the rest has to be done each on its own. Serve them warm and semi-shelled to your guests since this is half the fun!
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt...
Baked Fish Fillet with Dukka & Hazelnuts
This is an easy, nutty and tasty fish recipe made with Egyptian-style Dukka and crushed...
Indian Chicken with Spiced Yoghurt
Fragrant, moist and delicious, this Indian Spiced chicken dish will definitely impress. It is best...
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]