Winter-Warming Roasted Chestnuts
By yasmine • December 15, 2015
You know that cold winter night when you just need to cuddle on the sofa and nibble at something? Well… ‘just-out-of-the-oven chestnuts’ are definitely the answer!
This is not just a regular winter warmer, it is also a lavish treat to your guests this festive season. Just have them prepared in the oven, then as your guests arrive, switch the oven on and serve them warm for an easy yet impressive appetizer.
- 500 gram chestnuts (OR calculate 100-150g per person)
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Then wipe the fresh chestnuts with a towel (avoid water).
- On the flat part of the chestnut, make a plus-sign incision using a sharp knife. Make sure you cut through the skin. This is not just to help it cook through in the oven, but also to let the hot steam out avoiding the chestnut exploding in the oven.
- Spread the chestnuts over an oven tray making sure the incised side is up (to release the steam). Place the tray in the oven for 20-30 minutes (depends on the size of the chestnuts) or until the inside is softened and cooked.
- Mount them together in a kitchen towel hold tight and start adding pressure. You will hear them crackling as some of the shell falls off. Even with the best roasting, only little of the shells falls off, the rest has to be done each on its own. Serve them warm and semi-shelled to your guests since this is half the fun!
One famous childhood recipe... This is how my grandma used to serve artichokes. It makes a great...
Savoury Qatayef with Sun-Dried Tomatoes & Cheese
Sun-dried tomatoes and cheese are a match made in heaven! Stuffing our traditional Qatayef with...
Spiced Rice with Beef & Spring Onions
If you love hearty & filling homemade dishes, you will adore this one-pot Spiced Rice with...
Simple, delicious, and the perfect companion to any protein dish especially fish! With some simple ingredients, the simple zucchini is transferred into a succulent vegan and wholesome side dish in 20 minutes.
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy. The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also […]
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]