Winter-Warming Roasted Chestnuts
By yasmine • December 15, 2015
You know that cold winter night when you just need to cuddle on the sofa and nibble at something? Well… ‘just-out-of-the-oven chestnuts’ are definitely the answer!
This is not just a regular winter warmer, it is also a lavish treat to your guests this festive season. Just have them prepared in the oven, then as your guests arrive, switch the oven on and serve them warm for an easy yet impressive appetizer.
- 500 gram chestnuts (OR calculate 100-150g per person)
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Then wipe the fresh chestnuts with a towel (avoid water).
- On the flat part of the chestnut, make a plus-sign incision using a sharp knife. Make sure you cut through the skin. This is not just to help it cook through in the oven, but also to let the hot steam out avoiding the chestnut exploding in the oven.
- Spread the chestnuts over an oven tray making sure the incised side is up (to release the steam). Place the tray in the oven for 20-30 minutes (depends on the size of the chestnuts) or until the inside is softened and cooked.
- Mount them together in a kitchen towel hold tight and start adding pressure. You will hear them crackling as some of the shell falls off. Even with the best roasting, only little of the shells falls off, the rest has to be done each on its own. Serve them warm and semi-shelled to your guests since this is half the fun!
Baked Rice Meatballs (Koftet-Rozz)
الوصفه بالعربي Rice meatballs is the kind of food that both, kids as well as grown...
Quick Wholemeal Scones with Walnuts & Raisins
This is a nutritious wholemeal scones recipe with walnuts & raisins prepared in less than 30...
Blue Cheese & Walnut Sandwich
If you are a blue cheese lover, there's a high chance that this sandwich will become your new...
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Turmeric Coconut Lentil Soup
The flavors in this good-for-you Coconut Lentil Soup are simply phenomenal. With turmeric, ginger, sweet potatoes, coconut milk, this is not your traditional lentil soup. It is creamy, sweet, fragrant, and above all super-nutritious. A must-try for the cold winter season.
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.