Winter-Warming Roasted Chestnuts
By yasmine • December 15, 2015
You know that cold winter night when you just need to cuddle on the sofa and nibble at something? Well… ‘just-out-of-the-oven chestnuts’ are definitely the answer!
This is not just a regular winter warmer, it is also a lavish treat to your guests this festive season. Just have them prepared in the oven, then as your guests arrive, switch the oven on and serve them warm for an easy yet impressive appetizer.
- 500 gram chestnuts (OR calculate 100-150g per person)
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Then wipe the fresh chestnuts with a towel (avoid water).
- On the flat part of the chestnut, make a plus-sign incision using a sharp knife. Make sure you cut through the skin. This is not just to help it cook through in the oven, but also to let the hot steam out avoiding the chestnut exploding in the oven.
- Spread the chestnuts over an oven tray making sure the incised side is up (to release the steam). Place the tray in the oven for 20-30 minutes (depends on the size of the chestnuts) or until the inside is softened and cooked.
- Mount them together in a kitchen towel hold tight and start adding pressure. You will hear them crackling as some of the shell falls off. Even with the best roasting, only little of the shells falls off, the rest has to be done each on its own. Serve them warm and semi-shelled to your guests since this is half the fun!
Peanut Butter & Coloured Peppers Baladi Wrap
The sweetness of coloured peppers with the saltines of this guiltfree all natural peanut butter...
Salmon Philadelphia Sushi Roll
Always thought sushi is difficult to make but it turned out easy to prepare at home in no time. The...
Stir-Fried Garlic & Ginger Bok Choy
Bok Choi to me was a scary cabbage that I didn’t know how to use or add to my salads since it has...
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl
Simply served over white rice, the Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl makes such a hearty vegan home-cooked meal.
Banana Nice Cream With Pistachios & Mastic
Simple yet so delicious and guilt-free, this nice cream with pistachio and mastic is a must-try this summer! It is also a luscious addition to your Ramadani table. Nice cream is frozen banana blended into ice cream texture without added dairy or sugar. This recipe is full of Middle Eastern flavors like the delicate mastic and […]