Winter-Warming Roasted Chestnuts
By yasmine • December 15, 2015
You know that cold winter night when you just need to cuddle on the sofa and nibble at something? Well… ‘just-out-of-the-oven chestnuts’ are definitely the answer!
This is not just a regular winter warmer, it is also a lavish treat to your guests this festive season. Just have them prepared in the oven, then as your guests arrive, switch the oven on and serve them warm for an easy yet impressive appetizer.
- 500 gram chestnuts (OR calculate 100-150g per person)
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Then wipe the fresh chestnuts with a towel (avoid water).
- On the flat part of the chestnut, make a plus-sign incision using a sharp knife. Make sure you cut through the skin. This is not just to help it cook through in the oven, but also to let the hot steam out avoiding the chestnut exploding in the oven.
- Spread the chestnuts over an oven tray making sure the incised side is up (to release the steam). Place the tray in the oven for 20-30 minutes (depends on the size of the chestnuts) or until the inside is softened and cooked.
- Mount them together in a kitchen towel hold tight and start adding pressure. You will hear them crackling as some of the shell falls off. Even with the best roasting, only little of the shells falls off, the rest has to be done each on its own. Serve them warm and semi-shelled to your guests since this is half the fun!
Homemade Warm Cheesecake
A simple recipe for a rich and warm cheesecake for cheesecake lovers. Recipe uploaded by Asmaa...
No-Mayo Pasta Salad
Colourful and nutritious, this salad is a joyful meal in a lunch box. With 3 different colours...
Crispy & Creamy Avocado Fries
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish competition in collaboration with EasyPan.com. These...
Easy Vegetable Stir-Fry
If you are bored of daily vegetable dishes, this easy vegetable stir fry is what you are looking for. It is versatile and can be served next to main dishes from any cuisines (Egyptian, Italian, Indian). This is the basic recipe using only garlic, salt, pepper and a generous squeeze of lime juice to bind […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Green Pea Salad with Mint & Feta
Using simple ingredients, you can create this special and good-for-you Green Pea Salad in no time. Fresh with the greens, fragrant with the mint and full of flavour, this salad makes a great vegetarian option on hot summer days. I love to serve it with grilled steak, the combination of flavours are irresistible. However you […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]