Wholesome Black-Eyed Pea Salad
By shahdan • September 22, 2016
It’s time to give black-eyed peas a chance since it is creamy, nutritious and full of goodness and absolutely delicious. Black- eyed peas make great stews with tomato sauce as well as comforting salads like this simple lunchbox favorite.
As wholesome as it is, it is also much cheaper than more sophisticated salad ingredients like quinoa!
You can use this recipe as a guide & tailor it to your own liking, adding all your kids’ favourite ingredients such as cucumber, cherry tomatoes, olives…etc.
You need to soak the black-eyed peas for a few hours (preferably overnight) to help them cook quicker.
- 1.5 cup black-eyed peas (about 250g - soaked in water) - لوبيا
- 1 large carrot (grated) - جزرة
- 1/2 large yellow pepper (cut into small cubes) - فلفل أصفر
- 1/2 large red pepper (cut into small cubes) - فلفل أحمر
- 1 stem spring onion (finely chopped) - بصلة خضراء
- 3 tablespoon sun-dried tomatoes (thinly sliced + 1 tbsp of its oil) - طماطم مجففة
- 1/2 bunch parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil - زيت الزيتون بكر
- 2 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 2 large lime - ليمون بلدي
- sea salt (to taste) - ملح البحر
- black pepper (to taste) - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- Drain soaked black-eyed peas and rinse with fresh water. In a pot, cover them with water and leave them to cook on medium/high heat for 20-30 minutes or until soft from inside yet still firm.
- In the mean time, prepare and chop all your other ingredients.
- When the black-eyed peas are cooked, drain water and rinse with fresh water again. Stir in the dressing ingredients and sundried tomato oil and leave to cool.
- As the black-eyed peas reach room temperature, add all the chopped veggies and sundried tomatoes. Toss together, adjust seasoning and store in a sealed box in the fridge. This salad tastes even better the following day! It can stay up to 3 days in the fridge.
Broccoli Salad with Honey-Glazed Walnuts
Vibrant, fresh and nutritious, this Broccoli Salad will be your new favourite vegetable/salad dish...
Tropical Fruit Salad
The tropical fruit salad is not just refreshing on a hot summer day, but it also elevates a simple...
Quick Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry
Transform everyday ingredients such as chicken, carrots and broccoli into an elegant and super...
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]