Wholesome Black-Eyed Pea Salad
By shahdan • September 22, 2016
It’s time to give black-eyed peas a chance since it is creamy, nutritious and full of goodness and absolutely delicious. Black- eyed peas make great stews with tomato sauce as well as comforting salads like this simple lunchbox favorite.
As wholesome as it is, it is also much cheaper than more sophisticated salad ingredients like quinoa!
You can use this recipe as a guide & tailor it to your own liking, adding all your kids’ favourite ingredients such as cucumber, cherry tomatoes, olives…etc.
You need to soak the black-eyed peas for a few hours (preferably overnight) to help them cook quicker.
- 1.5 cup black-eyed peas (about 250g - soaked in water) - لوبيا
- 1 large carrot (grated) - جزرة
- 1/2 large yellow pepper (cut into small cubes) - فلفل أصفر
- 1/2 large red pepper (cut into small cubes) - فلفل أحمر
- 1 stem spring onion (finely chopped) - بصلة خضراء
- 3 tablespoon sun-dried tomatoes (thinly sliced + 1 tbsp of its oil) - طماطم مجففة
- 1/2 bunch parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil - زيت الزيتون بكر
- 2 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 2 large lime - ليمون بلدي
- sea salt (to taste) - ملح البحر
- black pepper (to taste) - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- Drain soaked black-eyed peas and rinse with fresh water. In a pot, cover them with water and leave them to cook on medium/high heat for 20-30 minutes or until soft from inside yet still firm.
- In the mean time, prepare and chop all your other ingredients.
- When the black-eyed peas are cooked, drain water and rinse with fresh water again. Stir in the dressing ingredients and sundried tomato oil and leave to cool.
- As the black-eyed peas reach room temperature, add all the chopped veggies and sundried tomatoes. Toss together, adjust seasoning and store in a sealed box in the fridge. This salad tastes even better the following day! It can stay up to 3 days in the fridge.
Delicious No-Wheat Pancakes
For all our gluten-free friends out there: These Delicious No-Wheat Pancakes taste exactly like...
Yummy Zucchini Carrot Fritters
These Zucchini Carrot Fritters are just so yummy. The kids love them and are ready to add them to...
Easy Fruity Frozen Yoghurt Cups
Creamy, sweet, and full of nutritional goodness, these fruity frozen yoghurt cups make...
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.