Wholesome Black-Eyed Pea Salad
By shahdan • September 22, 2016
It’s time to give black-eyed peas a chance since it is creamy, nutritious and full of goodness and absolutely delicious. Black- eyed peas make great stews with tomato sauce as well as comforting salads like this simple lunchbox favorite.
As wholesome as it is, it is also much cheaper than more sophisticated salad ingredients like quinoa!
You can use this recipe as a guide & tailor it to your own liking, adding all your kids’ favourite ingredients such as cucumber, cherry tomatoes, olives…etc.
You need to soak the black-eyed peas for a few hours (preferably overnight) to help them cook quicker.
- 1.5 cup black-eyed peas (about 250g - soaked in water) - لوبيا
- 1 large carrot (grated) - جزرة
- 1/2 large yellow pepper (cut into small cubes) - فلفل أصفر
- 1/2 large red pepper (cut into small cubes) - فلفل أحمر
- 1 stem spring onion (finely chopped) - بصلة خضراء
- 3 tablespoon sun-dried tomatoes (thinly sliced + 1 tbsp of its oil) - طماطم مجففة
- 1/2 bunch parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil - زيت الزيتون بكر
- 2 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 2 large lime - ليمون بلدي
- sea salt (to taste) - ملح البحر
- black pepper (to taste) - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- Drain soaked black-eyed peas and rinse with fresh water. In a pot, cover them with water and leave them to cook on medium/high heat for 20-30 minutes or until soft from inside yet still firm.
- In the mean time, prepare and chop all your other ingredients.
- When the black-eyed peas are cooked, drain water and rinse with fresh water again. Stir in the dressing ingredients and sundried tomato oil and leave to cool.
- As the black-eyed peas reach room temperature, add all the chopped veggies and sundried tomatoes. Toss together, adjust seasoning and store in a sealed box in the fridge. This salad tastes even better the following day! It can stay up to 3 days in the fridge.
Red Pepper Hummus Wrap
Turn CairoCooking's super healthy Roasted Red Pepper Hummus dip into a kid- friendly lunch box...
Dutch Tuna Salad
This is a very famous tuna mix in Holland. When you go to any lunch place and ask for a tuna...
Sweet Pumpkin Béchamel
الوصفة بالعربي No matter how many pumpkin recipes we try, the Egyptian traditional...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]