Warm Yoghurt Soup
By yasmine • May 26, 2015
This soup reminds me of my childhood. (That one and the Harira Soup). I remember how my family used to gather around it in Ramadan while listening to the radio riddle at Iftar. Until today it still warms my heart with its creaminess and smooth taste and I cannot enjoy Ramadan without having it at least 5 times – in my home, at my sister’s or my mum’s. We take turns on making it! While I put so much passion to perfect it, I never enjoy my own like I do theirs!
- 2 small pack yoghurt (about 220 grams) - زبادي
- 1 egg - بيضة
- 2 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 3 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 1 onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 2 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 2 piece mastic / mesteka - مستكة
- 2 stem celery (chopped including leaves) - كرفس افرنجي
- 1/2 cup freekeh - فريك
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 tablespoon dried mint (roughly chopped - for garnish) - نعناع مجفف/ ناشف
Step by step
- In large soup pot, melt the butter and add the onions. Cook the onions until translucent (about 10 minutes) and add the garlic, celery and mesteka along with some salt and pepper.
- Stir in the farro then add the hot chicken broth. As soon as it boils, put the heat down, cover and let it simmer until farro is cooked (about 15-20 minutes).
- In the meantime, mix egg with yoghurt using a light blender or just stir it smooth.
- Before adding the yoghurt mixture to the soup, you must put a ladle of the hot soup into the yoghurt to warm it. This is done mainly to avoid the room temperature yoghurt from splitting when hit with the hot soup. When you feel the yoghurt has warmed, add it confidently to the rest of the soup. Let it heat for 3 minutes then its ready.
- Sprinkle some dry mint before serving.
Nutritious Cheesy Rosemary Crackers
الوصفة بالعربي Your house will smell like a bakery in the morning with these small...
Blondies (Golden Brownies)
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. Who would have...
Vegetable Glass Noodles
Who wouldn't like a bowl of Asian Glass noodles with luscious fresh vegetables? It is perfect and...
Green Pea Salad with Mint & Feta
Using simple ingredients, you can create this special and good-for-you Green Pea Salad in no time. Fresh with the greens, fragrant with the mint and full of flavour, this salad makes a great vegetarian option on hot summer days. I love to serve it with grilled steak, the combination of flavours are irresistible. However you […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Indian Chicken with Spiced Yoghurt
Fragrant, moist and delicious, this Indian Spiced chicken dish will definitely impress. It is best served with Raita (spiced yoghurt) and Turmeric Basmati Rice. Garam Masala is an Indian Spice mix found in big supermarkets or at the عطار.
Cucumber and Chickpea Herb Salad
Hearty and delicious, this easy-to-put-together Cucumber & Chickpea Salad will be your new go-to salad for your family & friends. It is super healthy and works as a scrumptious side dish to your grilled protein when you are looking for a filling carb-like option.