Light Yoghurt & Freekeh Soup
By yasmine • May 26, 2015
This light yoghurt & freekeh soup reminds me of my childhood. (That one and the Harira Soup). I remember how my family used to gather around it in Ramadan while listening to the radio riddle at Iftar. Until today it still warms my heart with its creaminess and smooth taste and I cannot enjoy Ramadan without having it at least 5 times – in my home, at my sister’s or my mum’s. We take turns on making it! While I put so much passion to perfect it, I never enjoy my own like I do theirs!
- 2 small pack yoghurt (about 220 grams) - زبادي
- 1 egg - بيضة
- 2 tablespoon butter (OR olive oil) - زبدة
- 3 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 1 onion (diced) - بصلة
- 2 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 2 piece mastic / mesteka - مستكة
- 2 stem celery (finely chopped including leaves) - كرفس افرنجي
- 1/2 cup freekeh - فريك
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 tablespoon dried mint (for garnish) - نعناع مجفف/ ناشف
Step by step
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter and add the onions. Cook the onions until translucent (about 7 minutes) then add the garlic, celery and mastic along with some salt and pepper.
- Stir in the freekeh, then add hot chicken broth. As soon as it boils, put the heat down, cover and let it simmer until freekeh is cooked (about 20 minutes).
- In the meantime, stir egg with yoghurt until smooth and well integrated.
- Before adding the yoghurt mixture to the soup, add a little hot soup to the yoghurt mix to warm it. This is done mainly to avoid the room temperature yoghurt from splitting when hit with the hot soup. When you feel the yoghurt has warmed, add it confidently to the rest of the soup.
- Let it simmer for another 3 minutes until the egg cooks. Sprinkle some dry mint and serve hot.
The Freshest Greens-Based Stock
This recipe is based on my daily green juice greens and veggies. This stock can be used when...
Indian Butter Chicken
The Indian Butter Chicken is a restaurant quality dish that you can eat in the comfort of your own...
Pesto Baked Mussels
This is one of my favorite dishes at one of those pot mussels restaurants. It is so simple yet...
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.
Ginger & Lemon Steak a la Jamie Oliver
الوصفة بالعربي Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Chinese Rib Eye Steak (Jamie’s 30 minutes meals series), this steak has become a favourite in our households. Unlike heavy creamy sauces that we usually serve with our meat, Jamie’s on-the-board dressing for this special steak, is light, refreshing and bursting with mind-blowing flavours. In the original recipe, the meat is rubbed with Chinese Szechwan […]