Vegan Yellow Lentils
By shahdan • January 27, 2016
Made from very simple ingredients, the vegan yellow lentils dish is super nutritious without compromising on taste. With lots of hidden veggies, it is delicious and comforting when served warm, and absolutely yummy when served as a cold dip with wholesome baladi bread!
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion - بصلة
- 3 medium garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 2 medium carrots (grated) - جزر
- 2 large zucchini (grated) - كوسة
- 1 cup yellow lentils - عدس أصفر
- 2 cup water - ماء
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 tablespoon coriander (finely chopped) - كزبرة
Step by step
- Heat oil in a medium pot, and sauté the onions for 5 minutes on medium heat until soft.
- Add garlic and grated carrots and zucchini. Sauté the veggies with the onions for another 3 minutes.
- Add washed lentils, 2 cups of water and the cumin.
- Cook until the water comes to a boil, then lower the heat to a minimum and cover. Let it simmer (with occasional stirring) for about 30 minutes or until the water is absorbed and lentils are soft and partly pureed. (You don't need to use a blender for this dish, it has a nice consistency on its own).
- Season with salt and pepper. Add chopped coriander, mix and transfer to serving dish. Garnish with more fresh coriander leaves. Serve warm or cold.
Buttery & Easy Ghorayeba
This buttery Ghorayeba (traditional Eid cookies) is relatively easy to achieve at home. It is...
Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
The house will smell divine while these filling, super healthy and extremely delicious Sweet...
Oven-Baked Fish with Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي The beauty of this homemade oven-baked fish lies in its simplicity....
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]