Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
By Norhan Tarek • February 16, 2019
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It’s crispy on the outside with a cracked top and extra chewy and soft in the inside. Once you try it it’s going to be a staple at your house.
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour (185g) - دقيق أبيض
- 1/2 cup bread flour (65 gram) or all purpose flour - دقيق الخبز
- 1 teaspoon baking powder - باكينج باودر
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda - بيكربونات الصودا
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 teaspoon cloves (ground cloves) - قرنفل
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder - بودرة جنزبيل
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 150 gram candied ginger (optional)
- 100 gram sugar (1/2 cup plus more for coating) - سكر
- 110 gram brown sugar (1/2 cup) - سكر بني
- 135 ml sunflower oil (1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon) - زيت عباد الشمس
- 75 ml water (1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon) - ماء
Step by step
- In a large bowl, mix together all purpose flour, bread flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, candied ginger (if using) and the spices together.
- In another bowl, add sugar, brown sugar, sun flower oil and water then mix with a whisk for a few minutes until all is incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients into the sugar wet mixture and fold with a spatula or a wooden spoon until it is just incorporated. (Don't over mix)
- Cover with a plastic wrap or a plate and rest in the fridge overnight (12 to 24 hours).
- When you're ready to bake, preheat oven to 190°C (375°F) and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Take the cookie dough out of the fridge and shape into balls with an ice cream scoop or a spoon (about 50g each)
- Roll the dough balls in some sugar and arrange on the baking sheets leaving a few centimeters between them.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes till the edges are just set.
- Cool in the pan for a few minutes then transfer into a wire rack to cool completely.
Mixed Bean Salad
The Mixed Bean Salad is perfect for everyday and large gatherings espeically summer barbecues....
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted...
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is...
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Spinach & Cheese Pie
The Spinach and Cheese Pie is crispy from the outside and smooth(almost creamy) from the inside with a tasty cheesy yet fresh taste. It is perfect as a side veggie dish for your everyday lunch as well as for big gatherings. This recipe serves 4-6. For bigger dinner parties, you will need to double the […]
Chicken & Broccoli Filo Pie
The chicken & broccoli filling to this filo pie is so delicious and heartwarming. The cheese melting between the soft broccoli and tender chicken along with the crispiness of the buttered filo provide you with the deliciousness and warmth you expect from a homemade pie! You can prepare it as a round or as a […]