Sweet Strawberry Tart with Homemade Custard
By shahdan • February 9, 2016
The taste and delicacy of this tart will remind you of the famous French Mille-feuille – only fresher, crispier and homemade with love!
- 1 cup milk (250ml) - لبن
- 1 medium egg - بيضة
- 1 medium egg yolk - صفار البيض
- 4 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 2 tablespoon flour (plus extra for dusting) - دقيق
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract - خلاصة الفانيليا
- 150-200 gram puff pastry (about half a pack) - عجينة الباف باستري
- 1 small egg (to brush tart border) - بيضة
- 250 gram strawberries (sliced) - فراولة
- icing sugar (for garnish) - سكر بودرة
- 4 leaves mint (for garnish) - نعناع
Step by step
- Make sure the puff pastry is thoroughly defrosted before you roll it out.
- To prepare the custard, heat the milk in a small pot until hot (without boiling). In a bowl, whisk the egg, egg yolk, sugar, flour and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Gradually add the hot milk to the mixture and whisk.
- Transfer the custard mixture to the pot, bring to the boil over medium-low heat, while constantly stirring until it thickens (it will take a few minutes).
- Transfer the custard to a clean bowl and cover the surface with cling film (plastic wrap) so you can avoid a skin layer on top. Set aside and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line the tray with parchment paper.
- Lightly dust a clean working surface with flour. Roll out the dough into a square shape about (20 x 20 cm). It doesn't have to be perfect. (Imperfection gives it a homemade rustic look!)
- Carefully move the rolled-out dough to the lined tray.
- Using a knife, gently score a 1 cm border around your pastry. Using a fork, pierce the middle a few times. Lightly brush the borders with a little beaten egg.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden. Take it out of the oven and use your hand to gently press down any risen middle part of the tart. Leave to cool.
- In the meantime, wash and cut strawberries into 3-4 slices.
- Spoon the custard over the tart, leaving the borders clean. Arrange the strawberries on top. Garnish with fresh mint and icing sugar.
Frozen Banana Cream with Cranberries
Just before your bananas turn black from the heat - peel them, slice them and place them in a...
Slow-Cooked Asian Beef Cubes
The combination of deep Asian flavours and tender meat makes this Slow-Cooked Asian Beef Cubes dish...
Warm Freekeh Eggplant Salad
Who knew the combination of freekeh and eggplants can be so hearty? The Warm Freekeh Eggplant...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Classic 1-2-3-4 Marble Cake
Classic 1-2-3-4 cake is the first cake I learned to bake with my mother. As a child, I really appreciated the fact that the cake name helped me memorise and learn the basic cake proportions by heart: ONE for 1 cup milk and 1 cup butter, TWO for 2 cups sugar, THREE for 3 cups […]
Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins
Perfect for our daily chocolate cravings, these (refined-sugar-free) Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins are not only moist and rich, but they also carry lots of clean & healthy ingredients inside them. They make the perfect snack for grown-ups and kids alike. This recipe is super easy to prepare, because all the ingredients are simply mixed […]