Sweet Strawberry Tart with Homemade Custard
By shahdan • February 9, 2016
The taste and delicacy of this tart will remind you of the famous French Mille-feuille – only fresher, crispier and homemade with love!
- 1 cup milk (250ml) - لبن
- 1 medium egg - بيضة
- 1 medium egg yolk - صفار البيض
- 4 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 2 tablespoon flour (plus extra for dusting) - دقيق
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract - خلاصة الفانيليا
- 150-200 gram puff pastry (about half a pack) - عجينة الباف باستري
- 1 small egg (to brush tart border) - بيضة
- 250 gram strawberries (sliced) - فراولة
- icing sugar (for garnish) - سكر بودرة
- 4 leaves mint (for garnish) - نعناع
Step by step
- Make sure the puff pastry is thoroughly defrosted before you roll it out.
- To prepare the custard, heat the milk in a small pot until hot (without boiling). In a bowl, whisk the egg, egg yolk, sugar, flour and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Gradually add the hot milk to the mixture and whisk.
- Transfer the custard mixture to the pot, bring to the boil over medium-low heat, while constantly stirring until it thickens (it will take a few minutes).
- Transfer the custard to a clean bowl and cover the surface with cling film (plastic wrap) so you can avoid a skin layer on top. Set aside and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line the tray with parchment paper.
- Lightly dust a clean working surface with flour. Roll out the dough into a square shape about (20 x 20 cm). It doesn't have to be perfect. (Imperfection gives it a homemade rustic look!)
- Carefully move the rolled-out dough to the lined tray.
- Using a knife, gently score a 1 cm border around your pastry. Using a fork, pierce the middle a few times. Lightly brush the borders with a little beaten egg.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden. Take it out of the oven and use your hand to gently press down any risen middle part of the tart. Leave to cool.
- In the meantime, wash and cut strawberries into 3-4 slices.
- Spoon the custard over the tart, leaving the borders clean. Arrange the strawberries on top. Garnish with fresh mint and icing sugar.
Wholesome Black-Eyed Pea Salad
It's time to give black-eyed peas a chance since it is creamy, nutritious and full of goodness...
No-Recipe Roasted Vegetable Platter
This is a very simple recipe that goes a long way. I like to serve it on almost every dinner party...
Lemon & Butter Fish en Papillote
Simple fish dish that truly impresses with its little gift like look and deliciousness. Once you...
Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl
Simply served over white rice, the Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl makes such a hearty vegan home-cooked meal.
Traditional Anise Seeds Biscuits
These Anise Seeds Biscuits are a trip down memory lane for my family. Preparing them and filling the kitchen with the smell lets me think of my grandmother’s house and our family lunches ending with dipping these biscuits in the grown-ups hot teas. Our family calls it ‘our biscotti’ (like the Italian), because it looks and smells like it, yet […]
Chicken & Broccoli Filo Pie
The chicken & broccoli filling to this filo pie is so delicious and heartwarming. The cheese melting between the soft broccoli and tender chicken along with the crispiness of the buttered filo provide you with the deliciousness and warmth you expect from a homemade pie! You can prepare it as a round or as a […]
Circkle Crackle Nut Candies
These nut candies are such a yummy, sweet and crunchy dessert in little balls. Nuts, seeds, coconut oil & raw molasses are all immunity-boosting, vitmanin-full and overall nutritious foods, which makes this a great treat for kids and health- and weight-concious adults.