Sweet Strawberry Tart with Homemade Custard
By shahdan • February 9, 2016
The taste and delicacy of this tart will remind you of the famous French Mille-feuille – only fresher, crispier and homemade with love!
- 1 cup milk (250ml) - لبن
- 1 medium egg - بيضة
- 1 medium egg yolk - صفار البيض
- 4 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 2 tablespoon flour (plus extra for dusting) - دقيق
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract - خلاصة الفانيليا
- 150-200 gram puff pastry (about half a pack) - عجينة الباف باستري
- 1 small egg (to brush tart border) - بيضة
- 250 gram strawberries (sliced) - فراولة
- icing sugar (for garnish) - سكر بودرة
- 4 leaves mint (for garnish) - نعناع
Step by step
- Make sure the puff pastry is thoroughly defrosted before you roll it out.
- To prepare the custard, heat the milk in a small pot until hot (without boiling). In a bowl, whisk the egg, egg yolk, sugar, flour and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Gradually add the hot milk to the mixture and whisk.
- Transfer the custard mixture to the pot, bring to the boil over medium-low heat, while constantly stirring until it thickens (it will take a few minutes).
- Transfer the custard to a clean bowl and cover the surface with cling film (plastic wrap) so you can avoid a skin layer on top. Set aside and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line the tray with parchment paper.
- Lightly dust a clean working surface with flour. Roll out the dough into a square shape about (20 x 20 cm). It doesn't have to be perfect. (Imperfection gives it a homemade rustic look!)
- Carefully move the rolled-out dough to the lined tray.
- Using a knife, gently score a 1 cm border around your pastry. Using a fork, pierce the middle a few times. Lightly brush the borders with a little beaten egg.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden. Take it out of the oven and use your hand to gently press down any risen middle part of the tart. Leave to cool.
- In the meantime, wash and cut strawberries into 3-4 slices.
- Spoon the custard over the tart, leaving the borders clean. Arrange the strawberries on top. Garnish with fresh mint and icing sugar.
Goat Cheese & Sun-dried Tomato Multigrain Sandwich
The Goat Cheese & Sundried Tomato Multigrain Sandwich is not only nutritious, but it is...
Goop’s Broccoli & Arugula Soup
الوصفة بالعربي This is an original Goop detox recipe that I used to prepare for...
No-Fuss Green Juice
You need a slow juicer for this recipe - or you can use a strong blender and add half cup of...
Cinnamon Star Cookies
A childhood favorite, these cinnamon star cookies are a nutty, cinnamony and sweet treat for Christmas. It is also a lovely edible gift all year round. It will fill your house with heartwarming spice smells.
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is also a great sohour idea in Ramadan. In this recipe, old fashioned oats (not quick or instant oats), are cooked in water until a thick porridge consistency is reached. Then a splash of dairy or non-dairy milk is […]
Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It’s crispy on the outside with a cracked top and extra chewy and soft in the inside. Once you try it it’s going to be a staple at your house. This recipe is adapted from Ovenly’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe […]