Sweet Strawberry Tart with Homemade Custard
By shahdan • February 9, 2016
The taste and delicacy of this tart will remind you of the famous French Mille-feuille – only fresher, crispier and homemade with love!
- 1 cup milk (250ml) - لبن
- 1 medium egg - بيضة
- 1 medium egg yolk - صفار البيض
- 4 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 2 tablespoon flour (plus extra for dusting) - دقيق
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract - خلاصة الفانيليا
- 150-200 gram puff pastry (about half a pack) - عجينة الباف باستري
- 1 small egg (to brush tart border) - بيضة
- 250 gram strawberries (sliced) - فراولة
- icing sugar (for garnish) - سكر بودرة
- 4 leaves mint (for garnish) - نعناع
Step by step
- Make sure the puff pastry is thoroughly defrosted before you roll it out.
- To prepare the custard, heat the milk in a small pot until hot (without boiling). In a bowl, whisk the egg, egg yolk, sugar, flour and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Gradually add the hot milk to the mixture and whisk.
- Transfer the custard mixture to the pot, bring to the boil over medium-low heat, while constantly stirring until it thickens (it will take a few minutes).
- Transfer the custard to a clean bowl and cover the surface with cling film (plastic wrap) so you can avoid a skin layer on top. Set aside and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line the tray with parchment paper.
- Lightly dust a clean working surface with flour. Roll out the dough into a square shape about (20 x 20 cm). It doesn't have to be perfect. (Imperfection gives it a homemade rustic look!)
- Carefully move the rolled-out dough to the lined tray.
- Using a knife, gently score a 1 cm border around your pastry. Using a fork, pierce the middle a few times. Lightly brush the borders with a little beaten egg.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden. Take it out of the oven and use your hand to gently press down any risen middle part of the tart. Leave to cool.
- In the meantime, wash and cut strawberries into 3-4 slices.
- Spoon the custard over the tart, leaving the borders clean. Arrange the strawberries on top. Garnish with fresh mint and icing sugar.
Traditional Foul BelKhalta
الوصفة بالعربي This traditional foul belKhalta is a family favourite recipe, that we...
Circkle Crackle Nut Candies
These nut candies are such a yummy, sweet and crunchy dessert in little balls. Nuts, seeds, coconut...
Cozy Cauliflower Soup
الوصفة بالعربي This soup is the perfect hug in a mug. Even those who wouldn't...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Classic 1-2-3-4 Marble Cake
Classic 1-2-3-4 cake is the first cake I learned to bake with my mother. As a child, I really appreciated the fact that the cake name helped me memorise and learn the basic cake proportions by heart: ONE for 1 cup milk and 1 cup butter, TWO for 2 cups sugar, THREE for 3 cups […]
Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins
Perfect for our daily chocolate cravings, these (refined-sugar-free) Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins are not only moist and rich, but they also carry lots of clean & healthy ingredients inside them. They make the perfect snack for grown-ups and kids alike. This recipe is super easy to prepare, because all the ingredients are simply mixed […]