Succulent Asian Surf & Turf for Two
By shahdan • February 9, 2016
One marinade for a succulent full flavoured steak, mouth-watering sweet and tangy sesame shrimps, and luscious aromatic veggies… This is the ultimate platter for 2 – or prepare it to impress a crowd!
Prepare everything in advance and leave to marinate in the fridge. All you will need later is 15 minutes to cook it through before serving.
Note that recipe total time does not include marination time.
- 1 piece steak (250 gram rump steak) - شريحة لحم
- 250 gram shrimp (peeled and preferably tail-on) - جمبري
- 1 large carrot (cut into thin strips) - جزرة
- 1 cup broccoli (florets) - بروكلى
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds - بذور السمسم
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1/2 small lime - ليمون بلدي
- 1 small red chili pepper - فلفل أحمر حار
- 5 sprig coriander - كزبرة
- 1/2 cup light soy sauce (125 ml) - صوص الصويا الخفيف
- 4 tablespoon honey - عسل
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil - زيت السمسم
- 4 large garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (grated) - جنزبيل
Step by step
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a small bowl and mix very well.
- Place the steak in a plastic bag and add a couple of tablespoons from the marinade, or enough until the meat is well-covered. Seal and place in the fridge for a minimum of one hour.
- In two other separate bags, do the same with shrimps and veggies. Make sure to leave behind 2-3 tablespoons of the marinade in the bowl (untouched by any raw meat or shrimps).
- Place sesame seeds in a dry pan over medium heat and shake until the seeds are golden brown. Remove and set aside until serving time.
- Fifteen minutes before serving, heat a frying pan with 1 tablespoon oil. Place the steak in the hot pan and discard the extra marinade in the bag. Cook for 2 minutes on each side for rare, 3.5 minutes for medium, and 5 minutes on each side for well done. Place the steak on the serving board/ platter, cover it and allow it to rest.
- In a clean pan, add 1 tablespoon oil and stir fry the veggies over medium heat for 4-6 minutes (without the extra marinade), until slightly tender. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Wipe clean the pan, add 1 tablespoon oil and stir-fry the shrimps for a few minutes until just pink and cooked through - about 5 minutes. Squeeze half a lime over the shrimps.
- Cut the steak into large slices and sprinkle with chopped red chili pepper. Arrange the shrimps next to the steak and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Add the veggies to the platter and scatter the fresh coriander leaves.
- Finally, spoon the 2-3 tablespoons reserved marinade over the steak, shrimps and veggies and serve immediately.
Fishcakes with Dijon-Mayo Capers Dipping Sauce
This is a perfect fish recipe for kids especially if they are not fish fans. They will definitely...
Ice Cream Cookie Cups
Whether you're a fan of freezing ice cream on cold winter nights or not, you'll love this...
Date & Almond Qatayef
Date & Almond Qatayef marries two traditional Ramadani ingredients into a mouthful of...
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.
Ginger & Lemon Steak a la Jamie Oliver
الوصفة بالعربي Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Chinese Rib Eye Steak (Jamie’s 30 minutes meals series), this steak has become a favourite in our households. Unlike heavy creamy sauces that we usually serve with our meat, Jamie’s on-the-board dressing for this special steak, is light, refreshing and bursting with mind-blowing flavours. In the original recipe, the meat is rubbed with Chinese Szechwan […]