Succulent Asian Surf & Turf for Two
By shahdan • February 9, 2016
One marinade for a succulent full flavoured steak, mouth-watering sweet and tangy sesame shrimps, and luscious aromatic veggies… This is the ultimate platter for 2 – or prepare it to impress a crowd!
Prepare everything in advance and leave to marinate in the fridge. All you will need later is 15 minutes to cook it through before serving.
Note that recipe total time does not include marination time.
- 1 piece steak (250 gram rump steak) - شريحة لحم
- 250 gram shrimp (peeled and preferably tail-on) - جمبري
- 1 large carrot (cut into thin strips) - جزرة
- 1 cup broccoli (florets) - بروكلى
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds - بذور السمسم
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1/2 small lime - ليمون بلدي
- 1 small red chili pepper - فلفل أحمر حار
- 5 sprig coriander - كزبرة
- 1/2 cup light soy sauce (125 ml) - صوص الصويا الخفيف
- 4 tablespoon honey - عسل
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil - زيت السمسم
- 4 large garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (grated) - جنزبيل
Step by step
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a small bowl and mix very well.
- Place the steak in a plastic bag and add a couple of tablespoons from the marinade, or enough until the meat is well-covered. Seal and place in the fridge for a minimum of one hour.
- In two other separate bags, do the same with shrimps and veggies. Make sure to leave behind 2-3 tablespoons of the marinade in the bowl (untouched by any raw meat or shrimps).
- Place sesame seeds in a dry pan over medium heat and shake until the seeds are golden brown. Remove and set aside until serving time.
- Fifteen minutes before serving, heat a frying pan with 1 tablespoon oil. Place the steak in the hot pan and discard the extra marinade in the bag. Cook for 2 minutes on each side for rare, 3.5 minutes for medium, and 5 minutes on each side for well done. Place the steak on the serving board/ platter, cover it and allow it to rest.
- In a clean pan, add 1 tablespoon oil and stir fry the veggies over medium heat for 4-6 minutes (without the extra marinade), until slightly tender. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Wipe clean the pan, add 1 tablespoon oil and stir-fry the shrimps for a few minutes until just pink and cooked through - about 5 minutes. Squeeze half a lime over the shrimps.
- Cut the steak into large slices and sprinkle with chopped red chili pepper. Arrange the shrimps next to the steak and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Add the veggies to the platter and scatter the fresh coriander leaves.
- Finally, spoon the 2-3 tablespoons reserved marinade over the steak, shrimps and veggies and serve immediately.
Kiddie Yummy Cut Out Cookies
Fun and easy to prepare, these cookies will keep your kids entertained. With no sophisticated...
الوصفه بالعربي The traditional homemade Egyptian kofta is just so simple to prepare...
Traditional Sweet Qatayef
The traditional sweet Qatayef are different in each home. Some people add almonds and pistachios,...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Greek Chicken Souvlaki & Tzatziki
Chicken Souvlaki is the famous street food from Greece, where marinated chicken cubes are grilled on skewers and served with Tzatziki (yoghurt and cucumber dip) . Unlike our Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, made with chicken thighs, Souvlaki uses boneless chicken breasts. The marinade is also much simpler than the Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, yet zingy […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]