Triple Cheese & Mint Sambousak
By yasmine • June 14, 2015
The beauty of this recipe is that you can make of it what you like. We use three cheeses to make sure the filling is salty (baramili), melted (the cream cheese which melts while cooking) and well balanced (white cheese). You can substitute any cheese and still achieve the best cheesy minty sambousek filling. You can freeze the sambousek for up to a month or keep it in the fridge for a couple of days.
- 1 pack filo pastry (rectangular for sambousak) - جلاش
- 100 gram baramili white cheese - جبنة براميلي
- 50 gram cream cheese - جبن كريمى
- 100 gram white cheese unsalted (can be substituted for feta cheese) - جبنة بيضاء ملح خفيف
- 1/2 lime - ليمون بلدي
- 2-3 tablespoon dried mint (powdered) - نعناع مجفف/ ناشف
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 cup sunflower oil (for deep-frying) - زيت عباد الشمس
Step by step
- Mix the three cheeses, the mint, the juice of half a lime and olive oil. Make sure the mix is creamy and not too watery.
- Stretch one piece of the rectangular filo in front of you and put about 2 teaspoons from the mixture at the bottom of it without being close to the edges. Take one bottom corner of the pastry in your hands and fold it over the mixture. Then hold the other corner and fold over to the front. Keep repeating until the filo is all folded into a sambousak. Make sure they filling is well covered and not oozing out in order not to stain and ruin the frying oil.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a medium pot, and deep-fry the sambousek (for 10 minutes max) making sure they're golden on both sides.
Salmon with Cold Fresh Oriental Salsa
Inspired by the traditional fattoush, this out-of-the-box salmon dish is fresh, lemony and full of...
Rocca-Cranberry Labna Sandwich
If you are out of healthy and different sandwich ideas, try this one. It’s easy, super healthy,...
Baked Sweet Potatoes
Sweet, creamy, and so heart-warming, what's a better winter warmer than home baked...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the summer when the weather is too hot for good quality fresh lettuce. Serve it with Greek Chicken Souvlaki & flat bread to enjoy a full authentic Greek meal.
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is also a great sohour idea in Ramadan. In this recipe, old fashioned oats (not quick or instant oats), are cooked in water until a thick porridge consistency is reached. Then a splash of dairy or non-dairy milk is […]
Traditional Fattoush Salad
Fresh and full of colourful & nutritious ingredients, a traditional Fattoush Salad is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. The unique garlic & sumac dressing poured over fresh salad ingredients and topped with seasoned crispy bread makes this salad truly irresistible. You can add some of your favorite ingredients to this classic edition such as […]