Triple Cheese & Mint Sambousak
By yasmine • June 14, 2015
The beauty of this recipe is that you can make of it what you like. We use three cheeses to make sure the filling is salty (baramili), melted (the cream cheese which melts while cooking) and well balanced (white cheese). You can substitute any cheese and still achieve the best cheesy minty sambousek filling. You can freeze the sambousek for up to a month or keep it in the fridge for a couple of days.
- 1 pack filo pastry (rectangular for sambousak) - جلاش
- 100 gram baramili white cheese - جبنة براميلي
- 50 gram cream cheese - جبن كريمى
- 100 gram white cheese unsalted (can be substituted for feta cheese) - جبنة بيضاء ملح خفيف
- 1/2 lime - ليمون بلدي
- 2-3 tablespoon dried mint (powdered) - نعناع مجفف/ ناشف
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 cup sunflower oil (for deep-frying) - زيت عباد الشمس
Step by step
- Mix the three cheeses, the mint, the juice of half a lime and olive oil. Make sure the mix is creamy and not too watery.
- Stretch one piece of the rectangular filo in front of you and put about 2 teaspoons from the mixture at the bottom of it without being close to the edges. Take one bottom corner of the pastry in your hands and fold it over the mixture. Then hold the other corner and fold over to the front. Keep repeating until the filo is all folded into a sambousak. Make sure they filling is well covered and not oozing out in order not to stain and ruin the frying oil.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a medium pot, and deep-fry the sambousek (for 10 minutes max) making sure they're golden on both sides.
Yummy Chocolate Chip Pancakes
الوصفة بالعربي This is a super cheerful breakfast for fun family mornings! These...
Colorful Tuna & Quinoa Salad
A colourful tuna & Quinoa salad packed with vitamins and healthy protein. Place it in a packed...
Egga is the classic Egyptian Egg Cake. It is baked in the oven until puffed and cooked through....
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]
Labna & Black Olives Sandwich Filler
This recipe is ideal for black olive lovers. It is perfect for the lunchbox, and it also makes a great dip for friendly gatherings. Fresh mint gives this classic sandwich filler a new delicious dimension. You can replace labna with any cream cheese you like. In all cases, make sure to use good quality Kalamata olives.