Traditional Sweet Vermicelli (She3reyya)
By shahdan • January 30, 2016
Sweet Vermicelli or ‘She3reyya bel Sokkar’ is the perfect traditional winter warmer when you need something sweet and you need it fast. It is absolutely delicious, and prepared in less than 15 minutes. If you haven’t eaten it before, it is about time to try out this very Egyptian classic!
- 1 cup vermicelli - شعرية
- 1 teaspoon butter - زبدة
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 3 tablespoon sugar (or to taste) - سكر
- nuts (optional) - مكسرات
Step by step
- In a pot, melt oil and butter. Add the vermicelli and keep stirring on medium heat until it reaches a nice golden brown colour. It will take a few minutes.
- Stir in boiling water and sugar. Give it a quick stir, lower the heat to a minimum, cover, and leave to cook until water is absorbed and vermicelli is nice and soft (about 6- 10 minutes)
- Serve warm and add extra sugar or nuts to taste.
Sweet Pumpkin Béchamel
الوصفة بالعربي No matter how many pumpkin recipes we try, the Egyptian traditional...
Eggplant Upside-Down Fatta
Eggplants, yoghurt, garlic and golden crispy bread are just a match made in heaven. Every eggplant...
My friend prepared these for a kids party and they were a big hit! Both, kids and grown ups, loved...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]