Traditional Sweet Vermicelli (She3reyya)
By shahdan • January 30, 2016
Sweet Vermicelli or ‘She3reyya bel Sokkar’ is the perfect traditional winter warmer when you need something sweet and you need it fast. It is absolutely delicious, and prepared in less than 15 minutes. If you haven’t eaten it before, it is about time to try out this very Egyptian classic!
- 1 cup vermicelli - شعرية
- 1 teaspoon butter - زبدة
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 3 tablespoon sugar (or to taste) - سكر
- nuts (optional) - مكسرات
Step by step
- In a pot, melt oil and butter. Add the vermicelli and keep stirring on medium heat until it reaches a nice golden brown colour. It will take a few minutes.
- Stir in boiling water and sugar. Give it a quick stir, lower the heat to a minimum, cover, and leave to cook until water is absorbed and vermicelli is nice and soft (about 6- 10 minutes)
- Serve warm and add extra sugar or nuts to taste.
Quick Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry
Transform everyday ingredients such as chicken, carrots and broccoli into an elegant and super...
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed...
Popcorn Granola Trailmix
Your kids will love this Popcorn Granola Trailmix in their lunchbox. It is also so nutritious and...
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]