Traditional Sweet Qatayef
By yasmine • June 14, 2015
The traditional sweet Qatayef are different in each home. Some people add almonds and pistachios, others are into cream fillings. My mother’s nut-based stuffing mix is really simple yet so delicious, we always go back for more. Hope everyone enjoys it as much as my family and I do.
- 1 kg Qatayef (small to medium-sized) - قطايف
- 100 gram hazelnut - بندق
- 2 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder (optional) - قرفة
- 3 tablespoon coconut flakes - رقائق جوز الهند
- 1 handful raisins (or to taste) - زبيب
- 2 cup sunflower oil - زيت عباد الشمس
- 2 cup sugar - سكر
- 1 cup water - ماء
- 1/2 piece lime - ليمون بلدي
Step by step
- To prepare the syrup, add sugar, water and lime piece (without juicing) in a small pot over medium heat and stir slowly as the sugar dissolves. As soon as the water starts boiling, put the heat down to low and let it simmer for up to 15 minutes or when you feel the liquid has thickened. Set aside at room temperature to cool for an hour. You can always prepare this in advance and leave for days in a jar.
- Place whole hazelnuts in a blender or grinder and pulse it into granulated powder form.
- Mix hazelnuts with sugar, coconut flakes and raisins (if using any).
- Using a small teaspoon, stuff raw Qatayef and bind them firmly to make sure they hold well while frying. Make sure they are full without opening.
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan or pot (it takes about 3 minutes on medium heat), and fry Qatayef in batches for about 5 minutes each batch or until they are crispy from the outside and golden (takes about 4 minutes but stir once). They should be done in about 3 batches.
- Remove Katayef from oil and place them shortly into a plate covered with kitchen paper to absorb excess oil. While still hot, move them again quickly into the syrup bowl and stir to cover them with syrup. Serve warm in a bowl or flat serving dish.
Creamy Chicken & Corn Soup
الوصفة بالعربي Pure happiness in a bowl... There is something really special about...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends...
Sesame Beef Stir-Fry
This is a straight-forward stir- fry recipe. It doesn’t need complicated ingredients except maybe...
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]