Traditional Macaroni Béchamel
By Mai Saleh • June 23, 2015
No matter how creative we cook, a classic macaroni béchamel will always be a family favourite! Recipe by Mai Saleh.
- 1 pack pasta (400-500gram) - معكرونة
- 1/2 kg minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 1 medium onion - بصلة
- 1 egg - بيضة
- 1 handful mozzarella cheese - جبن موتزاريلا
- 1 liter milk - لبن
- 2 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 tablespoon oil - زيت
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- white pepper - فلفل أبيض
Step by step
- Cook the pasta as per package instructions and set aside.
- Sauté the chopped onion in a little oil over medium heat until soft.
- Add the minced beef to the onion and leave to cook and brown, then set aside.
- To make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter and oil in a saucepan over medium- high heat. Once the butter is melted, whisk in the flour until smooth. Keep whisking for 2 minutes, then pour in the milk slowly, (bit by bit) until all the milk has been added. Keep whisking making sure there are no lumps. Add salt, white and black pepper to your taste.
- Continue whisking until the milk is almost boiling. The sauce should now be fairly thick. Turn off the heat.
- Mix some of the béchamel mixture into the pasta and some more into the minced meat.
- Arrange half of the mixed pasta into a tajeen or oven-proof dish.
- Next, layer the entire meat mixture over the pasta and add some mozzarella on top.
- Add the rest of the pasta to form the top layer, then pour and spread the remaining béchamel sauce on top and add extra mozzarella and a beaten egg.
- Bake it in the oven for 40 to 50 min or until the top is golden brown.
Oat & Banana Nutritious Pancakes
From 9 months. This is such a simple, quick and nutritious breakfast or dinner for your toddler as...
Kitchari is India's detox meal. The classic recipe is cooked with rice. In this recipe, rice is...
Vietnamese Spring Vegetables Soft Rolls
This is the ultimate summer appetiser! Full of crunch and freshness and oh so good for you. You can...
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.
Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes
Marinated and oven-roasted to perfection, the Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes will be your new favourite chicken recipe. The flavours and the aroma are simply divine. This is comfort food at it’s best. THE MENU Feel-Good Artichoke Soup Mixed Bean Salad Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes Vermicelli with Almonds Mini Konafa Cups
Good-for-You Bulgur Koshary
This good-for-you koshary dish can easily beat your traditional one. Made from nutritious ingredients such as bulgur, chickpeas, lentils, fresh tomatoes and oven-roasted onions, it still carries all the authentic and yummy koshary flavours without the extra carbs. Definitely a must-try if you love kohasry and are looking for a healthier recipe.
Baked Fish Fillet with Dukka & Hazelnuts
This is an easy, nutty and tasty fish recipe made with Egyptian-style Dukka and crushed hazelnuts. The herbs in most Dukka recipes are just a perfect pair to white fish while the nuts along with the sesame in the Dukka creates a light crust to the fish without covering it completely, keeping it moist and tender. You can […]