Traditional Macaroni Béchamel
By Mai Saleh • June 23, 2015
No matter how creative we cook, a classic macaroni béchamel will always be a family favourite! Recipe by Mai Saleh.
- 1 pack pasta (400-500gram) - معكرونة
- 1/2 kg minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 1 medium onion - بصلة
- 1 egg - بيضة
- 1 handful mozzarella cheese - جبن موتزاريلا
- 1 liter milk - لبن
- 2 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 tablespoon oil - زيت
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- white pepper - فلفل أبيض
Step by step
- Cook the pasta as per package instructions and set aside.
- Sauté the chopped onion in a little oil over medium heat until soft.
- Add the minced beef to the onion and leave to cook and brown, then set aside.
- To make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter and oil in a saucepan over medium- high heat. Once the butter is melted, whisk in the flour until smooth. Keep whisking for 2 minutes, then pour in the milk slowly, (bit by bit) until all the milk has been added. Keep whisking making sure there are no lumps. Add salt, white and black pepper to your taste.
- Continue whisking until the milk is almost boiling. The sauce should now be fairly thick. Turn off the heat.
- Mix some of the béchamel mixture into the pasta and some more into the minced meat.
- Arrange half of the mixed pasta into a tajeen or oven-proof dish.
- Next, layer the entire meat mixture over the pasta and add some mozzarella on top.
- Add the rest of the pasta to form the top layer, then pour and spread the remaining béchamel sauce on top and add extra mozzarella and a beaten egg.
- Bake it in the oven for 40 to 50 min or until the top is golden brown.
Chicken Livers with Pomegranate Molasses
This chicken livers recipe is delicious and easy to prepare in less than 30 minutes. It works as a...
Super Tasty Super Simple Asparagus
This is the type of recipe you will find yourself doing over and over again for your everyday meals...
Simple Chicken Curry
I love this recipe because this is the basic Chicken Curry dish I grew up eating at home without...
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Date & Almond Qatayef
Date & Almond Qatayef marries two traditional Ramadani ingredients into a mouthful of yumminess. Crunchy outer layer of Qatayef with gooey sweet dates inside, and a surprise bitter crunch from the almonds, will make this desert your favorite this Ramadan. It is easy to prepare in advance and fry 10 minutes before serving. For the […]