Traditional Macaroni Béchamel
By Mai Saleh • June 23, 2015
No matter how creative we cook, a classic macaroni béchamel will always be a family favourite! Recipe by Mai Saleh.
- 1 pack pasta (400-500gram) - معكرونة
- 1/2 kg minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 1 medium onion - بصلة
- 1 egg - بيضة
- 1 handful mozzarella cheese - جبن موتزاريلا
- 1 liter milk - لبن
- 2 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 tablespoon oil - زيت
- 3 tablespoon flour - دقيق
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Cook the pasta as per package instructions and set aside.
- Sauté the chopped onion in a little oil over medium heat until soft.
- Add the minced beef to the onion and leave to cook and brown, then set aside.
- To make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter and oil in a saucepan over medium- high heat. Once the butter is melted, whisk in the flour until smooth. Keep whisking for 2 minutes, then pour in the milk slowly, (bit by bit) until all the milk has been added. Keep whisking making sure there are no lumps. Add salt, white and black pepper to your taste.
- Continue whisking until the milk is almost boiling. The sauce should now be fairly thick. Turn off the heat.
- Mix some of the béchamel mixture into the pasta and some more into the minced meat.
- Arrange half of the mixed pasta into a tajeen or oven-proof dish.
- Next, layer the entire meat mixture over the pasta and add some mozzarella on top.
- Add the rest of the pasta to form the top layer, then pour and spread the remaining béchamel sauce on top and add extra mozzarella and a beaten egg.
- Bake it in the oven for 40 to 50 min or until the top is golden brown.
The Shrimp Fatta
الوصفه بالعربي This is originally a Crave recipe that I learned to do at home. It...
No-Bake Cheese Cake
This is a simple classic no-bake cheese cake with a strawberry jam...
Spinach & Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Breast with Tomato & Carrot Cream Sauce
This recipe is the runner-up to #MyBestDish cooking competition. This recipe is perfect for any...
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]