Traditional Macaroni Béchamel
By Mai Saleh • June 23, 2015
No matter how creative we cook, a classic macaroni béchamel will always be a family favourite! Recipe by Mai Saleh.
- 1 pack pasta (400-500gram) - معكرونة
- 1/2 kg minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 1 medium onion - بصلة
- 1 egg - بيضة
- 1 handful mozzarella cheese - جبن موتزاريلا
- 1 liter milk - لبن
- 2 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 tablespoon oil - زيت
- 3 tablespoon flour - دقيق
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Cook the pasta as per package instructions and set aside.
- Sauté the chopped onion in a little oil over medium heat until soft.
- Add the minced beef to the onion and leave to cook and brown, then set aside.
- To make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter and oil in a saucepan over medium- high heat. Once the butter is melted, whisk in the flour until smooth. Keep whisking for 2 minutes, then pour in the milk slowly, (bit by bit) until all the milk has been added. Keep whisking making sure there are no lumps. Add salt, white and black pepper to your taste.
- Continue whisking until the milk is almost boiling. The sauce should now be fairly thick. Turn off the heat.
- Mix some of the béchamel mixture into the pasta and some more into the minced meat.
- Arrange half of the mixed pasta into a tajeen or oven-proof dish.
- Next, layer the entire meat mixture over the pasta and add some mozzarella on top.
- Add the rest of the pasta to form the top layer, then pour and spread the remaining béchamel sauce on top and add extra mozzarella and a beaten egg.
- Bake it in the oven for 40 to 50 min or until the top is golden brown.
Hearty Sugar-Free Carrot Muffins
From 12 months. These Carrot Muffins are yummy and heartwarming for the whole family. I make them...
Light Yoghurt & Freekeh Soup
الوصفة بالعربي This light yoghurt & freekeh soup reminds me of my childhood....
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It's a...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]