Traditional Macaroni Béchamel
By Mai Saleh • June 23, 2015
No matter how creative we cook, a classic macaroni béchamel will always be a family favourite! Recipe by Mai Saleh.
- 1 pack pasta (400-500gram) - معكرونة
- 1/2 kg minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 1 medium onion - بصلة
- 1 egg - بيضة
- 1 handful mozzarella cheese - جبن موتزاريلا
- 1 liter milk - لبن
- 2 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 tablespoon oil - زيت
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- white pepper - فلفل أبيض
Step by step
- Cook the pasta as per package instructions and set aside.
- Sauté the chopped onion in a little oil over medium heat until soft.
- Add the minced beef to the onion and leave to cook and brown, then set aside.
- To make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter and oil in a saucepan over medium- high heat. Once the butter is melted, whisk in the flour until smooth. Keep whisking for 2 minutes, then pour in the milk slowly, (bit by bit) until all the milk has been added. Keep whisking making sure there are no lumps. Add salt, white and black pepper to your taste.
- Continue whisking until the milk is almost boiling. The sauce should now be fairly thick. Turn off the heat.
- Mix some of the béchamel mixture into the pasta and some more into the minced meat.
- Arrange half of the mixed pasta into a tajeen or oven-proof dish.
- Next, layer the entire meat mixture over the pasta and add some mozzarella on top.
- Add the rest of the pasta to form the top layer, then pour and spread the remaining béchamel sauce on top and add extra mozzarella and a beaten egg.
- Bake it in the oven for 40 to 50 min or until the top is golden brown.
Creamy Banana Almond Ice Cream
Peel and break the bananas into quarters and freeze for at least 12 hours before making this...
Delicious No-Wheat Pancakes
For all our gluten-free friends out there: These Delicious No-Wheat Pancakes taste exactly like...
Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
I don't find Mahshi that interesting for dinner parties, therefore I decided to take the best...
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Kofta Panee is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely for […]
Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble
This Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble is the perfect dessert for a large gathering. It easily pleases the crowd… who wouldn’t appreciate fresh cream and strawberries with a sweet crunch like no other? My team and I came up with it for our Makar Farm Pop Up Lunch featuring Lebanese – Egyptian inspired dishes. […]
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]