Traditional Macaroni Béchamel
By Mai Saleh • June 23, 2015
No matter how creative we cook, a classic macaroni béchamel will always be a family favourite! Recipe by Mai Saleh.
- 1 pack pasta (400-500gram) - معكرونة
- 1/2 kg minced meat - لحم مفروم
- 1 medium onion - بصلة
- 1 egg - بيضة
- 1 handful mozzarella cheese - جبن موتزاريلا
- 1 liter milk - لبن
- 2 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 tablespoon oil - زيت
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- white pepper - فلفل أبيض
Step by step
- Cook the pasta as per package instructions and set aside.
- Sauté the chopped onion in a little oil over medium heat until soft.
- Add the minced beef to the onion and leave to cook and brown, then set aside.
- To make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter and oil in a saucepan over medium- high heat. Once the butter is melted, whisk in the flour until smooth. Keep whisking for 2 minutes, then pour in the milk slowly, (bit by bit) until all the milk has been added. Keep whisking making sure there are no lumps. Add salt, white and black pepper to your taste.
- Continue whisking until the milk is almost boiling. The sauce should now be fairly thick. Turn off the heat.
- Mix some of the béchamel mixture into the pasta and some more into the minced meat.
- Arrange half of the mixed pasta into a tajeen or oven-proof dish.
- Next, layer the entire meat mixture over the pasta and add some mozzarella on top.
- Add the rest of the pasta to form the top layer, then pour and spread the remaining béchamel sauce on top and add extra mozzarella and a beaten egg.
- Bake it in the oven for 40 to 50 min or until the top is golden brown.
Sweet Pumpkin Béchamel
الوصفة بالعربي No matter how many pumpkin recipes we try, the Egyptian traditional...
Pulled Beef & Onions
A unique take on the Egyptian meat and onions casserole. Recipe uploaded by Nada...
Banana & Coconut Bread
This bread is beyond scrumptious and moist with a divine smell. This is probably the most...
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.