Traditional Kolkas with Green Herbs
By yasmine • January 20, 2016
I can’t imagine any Egyptian growing up not eating Kolkas! Even my husband, who was never a fan of veggie dishes, was told as a child that Kolkas was actually potatoes in a Molokheya sauce and he loved it…
I always enjoyed eating Kolkas so much (especially topped with a large squeeze of lime), but shyed away from cooking it – always thinking it was so difficult… but then I realized it is actually not at all. It has become my to go to veggie when I need a quick guaranteed to please dish for my family – especially that the frozen cleaned and cubed packs are a great option for Kolkas. And this recipe for traditional kolkas with green herbs is actually very easy to follow.
- 1 kg kolkasia (peeled & cubed) - قلقاس
- 3-4 cup chicken broth/stock (OR water) - مرقة دجاج
- 3 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 6 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 1/2 bunch Swiss chard (finely chopped) - سلق
- 1 bunch coriander (finely chopped) - كزبرة
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 lime (Juiced) - ليمون بلدي
Step by step
- In a deep pan, melt butter and sauté minced garlic. Just before it turns brown, add chopped chard, coriander, salt and pepper. Stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add the kolkasia cubes and stir. Add chicken broth and let it come to boil (if you are using water, add some extra salt and pepper).
- Put down the heat and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the kolkasia is cooked through. Also, add hot water while it cooks, if the green sauce is getting too thick for your taste. Serve it hot, with a squeeze of lime, next to white rice.
Hearty Homemade Lentil Soup
Comfort food at its best...this homemade lentil soup is easy, super nutritious and so...
White Beans Mayonnaise with a Kick
This is a great dressing for grilled meat replacing fatty mayonnaise and heavy sauces. You can...
Artichoke & Lentil Salad
Full of colour, texture, and flavour, the Artichoke & Lentil Salad is the perfect way to eat...
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.
Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes
Marinated and oven-roasted to perfection, the Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes will be your new favourite chicken recipe. The flavours and the aroma are simply divine. This is comfort food at it’s best. THE MENU Feel-Good Artichoke Soup Mixed Bean Salad Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes Vermicelli with Almonds Mini Konafa Cups
Good-for-You Bulgur Koshary
This good-for-you koshary dish can easily beat your traditional one. Made from nutritious ingredients such as bulgur, chickpeas, lentils, fresh tomatoes and oven-roasted onions, it still carries all the authentic and yummy koshary flavours without the extra carbs. Definitely a must-try if you love kohasry and are looking for a healthier recipe.