Traditional Kolkas with Green Herbs
By yasmine • January 20, 2016
I can’t imagine any Egyptian growing up not eating Kolkas! Even my husband, who was never a fan of veggie dishes, was told as a child that Kolkas was actually potatoes in a Molokheya sauce and he loved it…
I always enjoyed eating Kolkas so much (especially topped with a large squeeze of lime), but shyed away from cooking it – always thinking it was so difficult… but then I realized it is actually not at all. It has become my to go to veggie when I need a quick guaranteed to please dish for my family – especially that the frozen cleaned and cubed packs are a great option for Kolkas. And this recipe for traditional kolkas with green herbs is actually very easy to follow.
- 1 kg kolkasia (peeled & cubed) - قلقاس
- 3-4 cup chicken broth/stock (OR water) - مرقة دجاج
- 3 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 6 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 1/2 bunch Swiss chard (finely chopped) - سلق
- 1 bunch coriander (finely chopped) - كزبرة
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 lime (Juiced) - ليمون بلدي
Step by step
- In a deep pan, melt butter and sauté minced garlic. Just before it turns brown, add chopped chard, coriander, salt and pepper. Stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add the kolkasia cubes and stir. Add chicken broth and let it come to boil (if you are using water, add some extra salt and pepper).
- Put down the heat and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the kolkasia is cooked through. Also, add hot water while it cooks, if the green sauce is getting too thick for your taste. Serve it hot, with a squeeze of lime, next to white rice.
Mixed Bean Salad
The Mixed Bean Salad is perfect for everyday and large gatherings espeically summer barbecues....
Crunchy Asian Salad
Refreshing, crunchy and full of flavour! This is the salad to choose when you are serving Asian...
Simple 6 Layer Salad
A healthy and filling salad you can prepare with whatever you have in your kitchen and munch on...
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted not fried. This doesn’t take away from the taste, on the contrary, the eggplants are more flavourful and rich here. Because cooking moussaka is a lengthy process with many different components, I like to shortcut my way to this delicious dish using […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]