Traditional Kolkas with Green Herbs
By yasmine • January 20, 2016
I can’t imagine any Egyptian growing up not eating Kolkas! Even my husband, who was never a fan of veggie dishes, was told as a child that Kolkas was actually potatoes in a Molokheya sauce and he loved it…
I always enjoyed eating Kolkas so much (especially topped with a large squeeze of lime), but shyed away from cooking it – always thinking it was so difficult… but then I realized it is actually not at all. It has become my to go to veggie when I need a quick guaranteed to please dish for my family – especially that the frozen cleaned and cubed packs are a great option for Kolkas. And this recipe for traditional kolkas with green herbs is actually very easy to follow.
- 1 kg kolkasia (peeled & cubed) - قلقاس
- 3-4 cup chicken broth/stock (OR water) - مرقة دجاج
- 3 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 6 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 1/2 bunch Swiss chard (finely chopped) - سلق
- 1 bunch coriander (finely chopped) - كزبرة
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 lime (Juiced) - ليمون بلدي
Step by step
- In a deep pan, melt butter and sauté minced garlic. Just before it turns brown, add chopped chard, coriander, salt and pepper. Stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add the kolkasia cubes and stir. Add chicken broth and let it come to boil (if you are using water, add some extra salt and pepper).
- Put down the heat and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the kolkasia is cooked through. Also, add hot water while it cooks, if the green sauce is getting too thick for your taste. Serve it hot, with a squeeze of lime, next to white rice.
Everyday Carrot & Pumpkin Soup
A yummy creamy and filling soup, this everyday easy-to-do carrot and pumpkin soup just ticks all...
Fig Tarte Bourdaloue
This dessert is very easy to prepare and very tasty. After figs season is over, I will be...
Easter Herring (Renga) Salad
My mum always makes this salad on Easter morning. It is yummy and makes eating traditional 'renga'...
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]