By shahdan • March 10, 2016
Egga is the classic Egyptian Egg Cake. It is baked in the oven until puffed and cooked through. With very basic ingredients, it is no exaggeration to say that the flavours in this Egyptian classic are simply out of this world!
Egga makes a beautiful full-of-veggies dish for a brunch gathering, and an unexpectedly delicious and light dish for a cosy movie night with friends. Leftover slices are also perfect for next day’s lunchbox (just make sure to cover and refrigerate.)
- 2 medium onion - بصلة
- 4 medium tomatoes - طماطم
- 1/2 bunch parsley - بقدونس
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 6 large eggs - بيض
- 1 tablespoon flour - دقيق
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder - باكينج باودر
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- To prepare the vegetables, finely chop the onions, and dice the tomatoes, discarding the seeds. Chop the parsley leaves.
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Heat oil and butter in a pan. Add onions and cook on medium heat until soft (about 5 minutes). Add tomatoes and cook for another 3 minutes. Finally, add parsley, season with salt and pepper, then give it a quick stir and turn off heat. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs until foamy using an electric hand mixer or food processor. Add flour and baking powder and whisk again making sure the mixture is lump-free.
- If the vegetable pan is oven-friendly, pour the egg mixture over the veggies and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the pan comes out clean. Alternatively, use a Pyrex or any oven-proof dish, but make sure to grease it with butter before you add the vegetables and egg mixture.
- Garnish with fresh parsley leaves and serve immediately.
Roasted Thyme Chicken & Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي Another popular Egyptian classic... A rustic oven dish with one whole...
Homemade Roast Beef Toasties
The key to preparing these healthy kid-friendly lunchbox toasties, is to use a cucumber peeler to...
Cucumber & Carrot Pickles
الوصفة بالعربي A bowl of pickles is always a plus on the table. It also adds a new...
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]