By shahdan • March 10, 2016
Egga is the classic Egyptian Egg Cake. It is baked in the oven until puffed and cooked through. With very basic ingredients, it is no exaggeration to say that the flavours in this Egyptian classic are simply out of this world!
Egga makes a beautiful full-of-veggies dish for a brunch gathering, and an unexpectedly delicious and light dish for a cosy movie night with friends. Leftover slices are also perfect for next day’s lunchbox (just make sure to cover and refrigerate.)
- 2 medium onion - بصلة
- 4 medium tomatoes - طماطم
- 1/2 bunch parsley - بقدونس
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 6 large eggs - بيض
- 1 tablespoon flour - دقيق
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder - باكينج باودر
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- To prepare the vegetables, finely chop the onions, and dice the tomatoes, discarding the seeds. Chop the parsley leaves.
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Heat oil and butter in a pan. Add onions and cook on medium heat until soft (about 5 minutes). Add tomatoes and cook for another 3 minutes. Finally, add parsley, season with salt and pepper, then give it a quick stir and turn off heat. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs until foamy using an electric hand mixer or food processor. Add flour and baking powder and whisk again making sure the mixture is lump-free.
- If the vegetable pan is oven-friendly, pour the egg mixture over the veggies and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the pan comes out clean. Alternatively, use a Pyrex or any oven-proof dish, but make sure to grease it with butter before you add the vegetables and egg mixture.
- Garnish with fresh parsley leaves and serve immediately.
Sweet Pumpkin Béchamel
الوصفة بالعربي No matter how many pumpkin recipes we try, the Egyptian traditional...
Minted Zucchini Soup
الوصفة بالعربي Even those who don't eat zucchini, will fall in love with this...
Nutritious Cheesy Rosemary Crackers
الوصفة بالعربي Your house will smell like a bakery in the morning with these small...
Blackeyed Peas Salad with Parsley Dressing
This Blackeyed Peas Salad is prepared using very simple everyday ingredients that come together to create a colourful and super nutritious dish. The salad dressing is blended with fresh green parsley to turn a basic sauce into a luscious creamy and full of flavour addition to your salad.
Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins
Perfect for our daily chocolate cravings, these (refined-sugar-free) Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins are not only moist and rich, but they also carry lots of clean & healthy ingredients inside them. They make the perfect snack for grown-ups and kids alike. This recipe is super easy to prepare, because all the ingredients are simply mixed […]
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]