Tomatoey Pasta Sauce With Lots of Greens
By shahdan • May 18, 2015
This is the grown up version of the kids healthy tomato pasta sauce – with added fresh spinach and basil leaves. Use brown pasta and no one will even notice the difference! For a gluten-free dish you may also go for brown rice pasta made from brown rice instead of wheat.
- 3 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 500 gram tomatoes - طماطم
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 2 large zucchini (grated) - كوسة
- 1 large carrot (grated) - جزرة
- 3 stick celery (thinly sliced) - كرفس افرنجي
- 2 large garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 teaspoon rosemary (fresh without stems) - روزماري/ إكليل الجبل
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme - زعتر
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional) - سكر
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 3 tablespoon cooking cream (optional) - كريم الطهي
- 1 handful spinach (thinnly sliced) - سبانخ
- 8 leaves basil (thinnly sliced and extra for garnish) - ريحان
Step by step
- Prepare your veggies: chop the tomatoes and give it a quick blend in a blender or food processor. Finely chop the onion and celery. Grate the zucchini and carrot.
- Next, heat the oil in a pot, and add the onion and celery. Cook on a low heat, while stirring occasionally until soft (about 5 minutes.)
- Next, add the garlic, zucchini and carrots and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, herbs, and salt and pepper. Increase the heat to medium until it boils, then lower the heat and leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
- When your sauce is done simmering, use a handheld blender to make it creamy and smooth. ( You can also use your regular blender or food processor.)
- Finally add the sliced fresh spinach and basil. Optional: you may stir in a little cream for a richer and creamier consistency.
- Toss the sauce with your favourite brown pasta or freeze in a suitable sealed container.
Simple 6 Layer Salad
A healthy and filling salad you can prepare with whatever you have in your kitchen and munch on...
Poached Egg with Fresh Spinach & Salmon
Because breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it is a great time to spoil yourself and...
Easy Veal Fillet with Instant Dijon Mustard Sauce
الوصفه بالعربي This Veal Fillet with Instant Dijon Mustard Sauce is a great option...
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Brown Rice Mujaddara
A wholesome comfort dish from the Levant, this Rice Mujaddara is vegan, full of protein and definite winner for any family meal. We used brown rice instead of regular, to heighten its nutritional value and it turned out incredibly tasty with the earthy flavors of the lentils. Serve it with a simple green salad with […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]
Creamy Two Salmon & Onion Lasagne
This Creamy Two Salmon & Onion Lasagne is known as Lasagnes Aux Deux Saumons in its native, France. Recipe is by Dina Hamdi. This Lasagnes Aux Deux Saumons recipe has been on my to-do-list for a very long time! My inspiration for this recipe was the same dish I tried back in Paris in a restaurant […]