Delicious Tiramisu Siciliano
By Hanya Fahmy • December 16, 2015
While living in Europe, one of my best friends was the amazing Elisa from Sicily! I used to LOVE being invited over for dinner at her place for she truly brings the perfect Italian feast to the table. One of my very favorite dishes of hers was the Tiramisu. She had shared the recipe she got from her family over several generations…
I give you “The Original Tiramisu” from the gorgeous town of Taormina Sicily. Hope you indulge in it as much as I did.
- 4 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 1/2 cup espresso (OR strong coffee) - قهوة اسبريسو
- 1/2 cup water - ماء
- 400 gram Lady Fingers biscuits - بسكوت سافويار
- 750 gram Mascarpone cheese - جبن ماسكربون
- 4 egg yolk - صفار البيض
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (for garnish) - بودرة كاكاو
Step by step
- The cream: In a bowl and using a beater, whisk egg yolks with 2 tablespoons sugar until they become a light and fluffy cream. Then add the mascarpone and continue mixing until the cream becomes soft and homogeneous.
- The coffee: Mix espresso, hot water and the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a large bowl.
- The layering: Cover a 20x40cm pan or pyrex with the first layer of Lady Fingers then gently pour half of the bowl of coffee mix over it, making sure all the cookies are well soaked (or you can individually soak the biscuits one by one in a bowl before you place it in the pan). Over the soaked Lady Fingers, spread about 1/2 (or a bit less) of the cream. After that add another layer of individaully soaked biscuits (using the rest of the coffee mix) and finally spread the rest of the cream to cover all the fingers well.
- Final touch: Finally sprinkle the cocoa powder through a fine strainer over the tiramisu to cover it and put it in the fridge overnight (or at least 5 hours).
- For parties, its nice to serve it in individual glasses (finger food style). Follow the same recipe and process yet serve it individually. A true hit on every occasion. Happy festivities :)
The Perfectly Roasted Quail
Impress your guests with this super easy-to-follow roasted quail dish. All you need to do...
Quick Wholemeal Scones with Walnuts & Raisins
This is a nutritious wholemeal scones recipe with walnuts & raisins prepared in less than 30...
Once you make your own foul at home, you will never go back to the canned stuff again! Even the...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Classic 1-2-3-4 Marble Cake
Classic 1-2-3-4 cake is the first cake I learned to bake with my mother. As a child, I really appreciated the fact that the cake name helped me memorise and learn the basic cake proportions by heart: ONE for 1 cup milk and 1 cup butter, TWO for 2 cups sugar, THREE for 3 cups […]
Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins
Perfect for our daily chocolate cravings, these (refined-sugar-free) Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins are not only moist and rich, but they also carry lots of clean & healthy ingredients inside them. They make the perfect snack for grown-ups and kids alike. This recipe is super easy to prepare, because all the ingredients are simply mixed […]