Delicious Tiramisu Siciliano
By Hanya Fahmy • December 16, 2015
While living in Europe, one of my best friends was the amazing Elisa from Sicily! I used to LOVE being invited over for dinner at her place for she truly brings the perfect Italian feast to the table. One of my very favorite dishes of hers was the Tiramisu. She had shared the recipe she got from her family over several generations…
I give you “The Original Tiramisu” from the gorgeous town of Taormina Sicily. Hope you indulge in it as much as I did.
- 4 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 1/2 cup espresso (OR strong coffee) - قهوة اسبريسو
- 1/2 cup water - ماء
- 400 gram Lady Fingers biscuits - بسكوت سافويار
- 750 gram Mascarpone cheese - جبن ماسكربون
- 4 egg yolk - صفار البيض
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (for garnish) - بودرة كاكاو
Step by step
- The cream: In a bowl and using a beater, whisk egg yolks with 2 tablespoons sugar until they become a light and fluffy cream. Then add the mascarpone and continue mixing until the cream becomes soft and homogeneous.
- The coffee: Mix espresso, hot water and the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a large bowl.
- The layering: Cover a 20x40cm pan or pyrex with the first layer of Lady Fingers then gently pour half of the bowl of coffee mix over it, making sure all the cookies are well soaked (or you can individually soak the biscuits one by one in a bowl before you place it in the pan). Over the soaked Lady Fingers, spread about 1/2 (or a bit less) of the cream. After that add another layer of individaully soaked biscuits (using the rest of the coffee mix) and finally spread the rest of the cream to cover all the fingers well.
- Final touch: Finally sprinkle the cocoa powder through a fine strainer over the tiramisu to cover it and put it in the fridge overnight (or at least 5 hours).
- For parties, its nice to serve it in individual glasses (finger food style). Follow the same recipe and process yet serve it individually. A true hit on every occasion. Happy festivities :)
Cranberry & Almond Bread
This is so comforting, so good and addictive! Not just addictive to eat but also to make. It is the...
Fool-Proof One-Pot Molokheya
When it comes to Molokheya, everyone has a personal favourite. Some like it more garlicky, thicker...
Labna & Black Olives Sandwich Filler
This recipe is ideal for black olive lovers. It is perfect for the lunchbox, and it also makes a great dip for friendly gatherings. Fresh mint gives this classic sandwich filler a new delicious dimension. You can replace labna with any cream cheese you like. In all cases, make sure to use good quality Kalamata olives.
Creamy Avocado Hummus
Healthy, nutritious and full of delicious flavours, the Creamy Avocado Hummus dip will be your new favourite crowd pleaser, as well as an everyday guilt-free dip for those late-night cravings.
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.