The Simplest Renga Baladi
By yasmine • December 30, 2015
Such a simple and tasty recipe that takes us back to our childhood and still makes an amazing entertainment dish. Serve it next to tahini and small Shami loaves for your guests to attempt their own sandwiches – they won’t have enough!
Buy the herring already smoked and tightly packed from the supermarket (I prefer this since it is cleaner and has minimum fishy smell) or get the fish (1kg), wrap in foil and place in the oven on 180C for about 20 minutes (or until skin starts falling off). Then peel the skin and debone the fish and let it cool before cutting into strips and marinating.
- 500 gram herring smoked fish - رنجة مدخنه
- 3 stem spring onion - بصلة خضراء
- 1/2 cup olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 large lime (juiced) - ليمون بلدي
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 handful rocket (roughly chopped) - جرجير افرنجى
Step by step
- In a medium bowl, mix olive oil, lemon, chopped spring onions, salt and pepper.
- Cut the smoked herring in finger length strips and soak them in the olive oil mix. It should marinate in the fridge for an hour or overnight.
- When serving, add the rocket to the mix or on the side. Also, serve baladi bread or small Shami bread and tahini with garlic for an extra twist.
Luscious White Chocolate Lava Cake
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish competition in collaboration with Easy-pan.com This cake...
Cheesy Steaks with Cream Mushroom Sauce
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. An easy flavorful...
Meat Cubes with Carrots & Potatoes
Kabab Halla or meat cubes cooked with carrots and potatoes is such an ancient dish in our family....
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Date & Almond Qatayef
Date & Almond Qatayef marries two traditional Ramadani ingredients into a mouthful of yumminess. Crunchy outer layer of Qatayef with gooey sweet dates inside, and a surprise bitter crunch from the almonds, will make this desert your favorite this Ramadan. It is easy to prepare in advance and fry 10 minutes before serving. For the […]