The Simplest Renga Baladi
By yasmine • December 30, 2015
Such a simple and tasty recipe that takes us back to our childhood and still makes an amazing entertainment dish. Serve it next to tahini and small Shami loaves for your guests to attempt their own sandwiches – they won’t have enough!
Buy the herring already smoked and tightly packed from the supermarket (I prefer this since it is cleaner and has minimum fishy smell) or get the fish (1kg), wrap in foil and place in the oven on 180C for about 20 minutes (or until skin starts falling off). Then peel the skin and debone the fish and let it cool before cutting into strips and marinating.
- 500 gram herring smoked fish - رنجة مدخنه
- 3 stem spring onion - بصلة خضراء
- 1/2 cup olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2 large lime (juiced) - ليمون بلدي
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 handful rocket (roughly chopped) - جرجير افرنجى
Step by step
- In a medium bowl, mix olive oil, lemon, chopped spring onions, salt and pepper.
- Cut the smoked herring in finger length strips and soak them in the olive oil mix. It should marinate in the fridge for an hour or overnight.
- When serving, add the rocket to the mix or on the side. Also, serve baladi bread or small Shami bread and tahini with garlic for an extra twist.
Mini Konafa Cups
These mini Konafa cups are so easy to prepare and just optimal for small gatherings. You can...
الوصفه بالعربي This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes...
Soy & Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry
الوصفة بالعربي This luscious chicken stir-fry dish is easy, delicious and packed with...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]