The Christmas Chestnut Turkey Breast Anyone Can Prepare
By Sandra Keldany • December 17, 2015
A joyous and hassle-free Christmas turkey with sweet maple syrup and lucious chestnuts. The trick lies in not using a whole turkey, but only the breast. This makes the cooking process much easier, the carving a simple task, and you end up with no leftovers!
This recipe is by Sandra Keldany from her article with CairoCooking’s ‘In Your Kitchen.’ Read the full article here.
- 800 gram turkey breast (boneless) - صدر ديك مخلي
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 300 gram chestnuts (cooked & peeled OR from a can)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced garlic) - ثوم
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup - شراب القيقب
- 1 cup water (240 ml) - ماء
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Rub the turkey breast with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- In a large frying pan (preferably oven-proof), heat the oil and the butter. Add the finely chopped onion, followed by the minced garlic and the turkey breast. Fry the breast with the onions and garlic until golden on all sides.
- Add maple syrup and fry for further two minutes then add water. Using a thin knife, create a few small incisions in the turkey breast, to allow the juices to go inside.
- Transfer the turkey and its juices to an oven-proof dish if your pan is not oven-proof then pop in the oven for 60 minutes. Then add the previously cooked chestnuts to the turkey pan, after 40 minutes (to allow 20 minutes of cooking time with the turkey juices). Baste occasionally during cooking.
- You know the turkey is cooked when you insert a skewer in the middle and the juices run clear.
- Cover and allow to stand for 10 minutes before carving.
Broccoli & Basil Soup
This good-for-you Green Broccoli and Basil soup is creamy and delicious without the need to add any...
Soy & Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry
الوصفة بالعربي This luscious chicken stir-fry dish is easy, delicious and packed with...
Soggo’ Baladi with Pomegranate Molasses
With a crunchy bite and creamy sweetness from the molasses, this soggo' is a must try! You can...
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
Spinach & Cheese Pie
The Spinach and Cheese Pie is crispy from the outside and smooth(almost creamy) from the inside with a tasty cheesy yet fresh taste. It is perfect as a side veggie dish for your everyday lunch as well as for big gatherings. This recipe serves 4-6. For bigger dinner parties, you will need to double the […]
Chicken & Broccoli Filo Pie
The chicken & broccoli filling to this filo pie is so delicious and heartwarming. The cheese melting between the soft broccoli and tender chicken along with the crispiness of the buttered filo provide you with the deliciousness and warmth you expect from a homemade pie! You can prepare it as a round or as a […]