The Christmas Chestnut Turkey Breast Anyone Can Prepare
By Sandra Keldany • December 17, 2015
A joyous and hassle-free Christmas turkey with sweet maple syrup and lucious chestnuts. The trick lies in not using a whole turkey, but only the breast. This makes the cooking process much easier, the carving a simple task, and you end up with no leftovers!
This recipe is by Sandra Keldany from her article with CairoCooking’s ‘In Your Kitchen.’ Read the full article here.
- 800 gram turkey breast (boneless) - صدر ديك مخلي
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 300 gram chestnuts (cooked & peeled OR from a can)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced garlic) - ثوم
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup - شراب القيقب
- 1 cup water (240 ml) - ماء
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Rub the turkey breast with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- In a large frying pan (preferably oven-proof), heat the oil and the butter. Add the finely chopped onion, followed by the minced garlic and the turkey breast. Fry the breast with the onions and garlic until golden on all sides.
- Add maple syrup and fry for further two minutes then add water. Using a thin knife, create a few small incisions in the turkey breast, to allow the juices to go inside.
- Transfer the turkey and its juices to an oven-proof dish if your pan is not oven-proof then pop in the oven for 60 minutes. Then add the previously cooked chestnuts to the turkey pan, after 40 minutes (to allow 20 minutes of cooking time with the turkey juices). Baste occasionally during cooking.
- You know the turkey is cooked when you insert a skewer in the middle and the juices run clear.
- Cover and allow to stand for 10 minutes before carving.
Roasted Shrimp Stuffed Avocados
When shrimp and avocados come together, the results are usually luscious, impressive and mostly...
Poached Egg with Fresh Spinach & Salmon
Because breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it is a great time to spoil yourself and...
No-Fuss Green Juice
You need a slow juicer for this recipe - or you can use a strong blender and add half cup of...
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.
Ginger & Lemon Steak a la Jamie Oliver
الوصفة بالعربي Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Chinese Rib Eye Steak (Jamie’s 30 minutes meals series), this steak has become a favourite in our households. Unlike heavy creamy sauces that we usually serve with our meat, Jamie’s on-the-board dressing for this special steak, is light, refreshing and bursting with mind-blowing flavours. In the original recipe, the meat is rubbed with Chinese Szechwan […]