Thai Pumpkin Soup
By yasmine • June 6, 2015
This Thai Pumpkin Soup is delicious with depth of Asian flavors from the combination of ginger, chili and garlic ending with coconut milk. Despite its simplicity, it is impressive on your dining table and will have your guests go back for more.
If you want to avoid using coconut milk, just add an extra cup of broth instead and adjust chili to your taste.
This recipe was developed for Flavor Republic.
- 1 kg pumpkin (5-6 cups cut in cubes) - اليقطين/ قرع
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil - زيت السمسم
- 2 small red onions (chopped) - بصل أحمر
- 3 teaspoon fresh ginger (freshly grated) - جنزبيل
- 2 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1/2 red chili pepper (about 2 teaspoons - deseeded & minced) - فلفل أحمر حار
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock (400-500ml OR water) - مرقة دجاج
- 1 cup coconut milk (200ml) - لبن جوز الهند
- 1 lime (juiced) - ليمون بلدي
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- coriander (chopped for garnish) - كزبرة
Step by step
- Heat sesame oil in a soup pot on medium heat. Sauté onions, chili, ginger and minced garlic until onions are translucent (about 8 minutes).
- Stir in pumpkin cubes, salt and pepper followed by the warm broth. As soon as it boils, decrease heat, cover and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes until pumpkin is cooked through.
- Using a blender or a handheld mixer, smooth the soup mix. Add coconut milk. Let it simmer for another 2 minutes and finish with lime juice.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander, minced chili and/or a drizzle of coconut milk.
Warm Spiced Pumpkin with White Chocolate Sauce
الوصفة بالعربي If you haven't tried this festive pumkin dessert, you are missing out!...
Warm Peach & Berries Fruit Crumble
Starting from the smell while its in the oven, your senses know they're getting a treat! Its...
Originally a traditional Russian dish, Beef Stroganoff is always a crowd pleaser! It is easy to...
Easy Vegetable Stir-Fry
If you are bored of daily vegetable dishes, this easy vegetable stir fry is what you are looking for. It is versatile and can be served next to main dishes from any cuisines (Egyptian, Italian, Indian). This is the basic recipe using only garlic, salt, pepper and a generous squeeze of lime juice to bind […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Green Pea Salad with Mint & Feta
Using simple ingredients, you can create this special and good-for-you Green Pea Salad in no time. Fresh with the greens, fragrant with the mint and full of flavour, this salad makes a great vegetarian option on hot summer days. I love to serve it with grilled steak, the combination of flavours are irresistible. However you […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]