Baked Sweet Potato Fish Pie
By yasmine • May 20, 2016
From 9 months.
My kids started eating fish at 8 and 9 months but every doctor has a different theory on fish, especially that some kids are allergic. Most importantly, fish must be peeled and deboned properly.
This recipe makes sure your toddler enjoys eating this nutritious protein – along with safe and filling root veggies. You can add other veggies like green beans and peas (recommended after 12 months) as well as zucchini and mushrooms. The dish is creamy, and yummy and can be shared with older kids next to some brown or white rice.
For more toddler recipes, click here.
- 250 gram bass fish (deboned & cut into bite-size cubes) - سمك قاروس
- 1 medium sweet potato (peeled & diced) - بطاطا
- 1 small potatoes - بطاطس
- 1 carrot (peeled & diced) - جزرة
- 1 pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 1 tablespoon flour - دقيق
- 1/2 cup cooking cream (optional) - كريم الطهي
- 1 tablespoon oregano (minced) - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- salt and pepper (for toddlers over 12 months) - ملح و فلفل
- 1.5-2 cup full cream milk (enough to cover the cubed veggies) - لبن كامل الدسم
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 180C. Make sure the fish is cleaned and properly deboned.
- Peel and cut all veggies into toddler-bite-size cubes.
- In a medium pot, heat milk while stirring in flour. As it the flour dissolves and the milk starts sizzling, lower heat and add diced sweet potatoes, potatoes and carrots. Sprinkle nutmeg, salt and pepper (if using any) and cover partially.
- After 15 minutes, add fish cubes and let it simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Tip the mix into a small oven pan or pyrex. Drizzle cooking cream on top (if using any) and sprinkle oregano. Place it in the middle of the oven for 15-20 minutes or until top is slightly golden and all veggies are cooked through. Let it cool for a couple of minutes before serving to your toddler. You can also mash each serving with couple of tablespoons of rice for a full meal.
Grilled Veggie Rolls with Cashew Cheese
These veggie rolls are enriched with the creaminess of the cashew cheese. The combination of the...
Arugula Sun-dried Tomato & Parmesan Salad
This salad is so delicious, it always leaves an impression with guests. It is a sophisticated...
Sweet & Sour Chicken with Jasmine Rice
الوصفة بالعربي This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is also a great sohour idea in Ramadan. In this recipe, old fashioned oats (not quick or instant oats), are cooked in water until a thick porridge consistency is reached. Then a splash of dairy or non-dairy milk is […]
Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It’s crispy on the outside with a cracked top and extra chewy and soft in the inside. Once you try it it’s going to be a staple at your house. This recipe is adapted from Ovenly’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe […]