Hearty Sugar-Free Carrot Muffins
By yasmine • March 20, 2016
From 12 months.
These Carrot Muffins are yummy and heartwarming for the whole family. I make them for my 1 year and my 3 year old and they both indulge in it. The good news is that your babies will not need help feeding – they will just hold a piece and munch at it at their convenience (but a mess is guaranteed!)
You can add chopped nuts or raisins to this recipe (up to 1/2 cup) but I refrained in order to avoid any choking hazard. You can also garnish these muffins with a banana & nut-based sugar-free frosting (only for babies starting 12 months).
No mixer or blender is needed for this recipe – just use a whisk.
For more toddler recipes, click here.
- 2 cup whole wheat flour - دقيق القمح الكامل
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- ginger powder - بودرة جنزبيل
- pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 2 teaspoon baking powder - باكينج باودر
- pinch salt - ملح
- 4 large carrots (peeled and shredded) - جزر
- 2 eggs - بيض
- 1/2 cup raw honey (OR maple syrup, raw molasses, date syrup) - عسل نقي
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted OR virgin olive oil PLUS an extra tablespoon for greasing)) - زيت جوز الهند
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract - خلاصة الفانيليا
- 1/2 cup yoghurt (about 100g) - زبادي
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease 12 muffin tins with oil or butter combined with flour. You do not need to grease silicon tins or muffin paper.
- Whisk the eggs with oil, yoghurt, honey and vanilla extract until it is all combined and smooth. Set aside.
- Mix the flour with baking powder, salt and the rest of the spices. Add the shredded carrot and make sure it is mixed in properly.
- Stir the egg mix into the flour mix slowly. Make sure all the ingredients are well combined.
- Distribute the batter on 12 muffin tins - about 2 tablespoons dough per muffin. Place them in the middle of the oven for 15-20 minutes. If you're using a silicon muffin tray or muffin tins, make sure to place it/them on a metal tray before putting them in the oven. It'll make sure your muffins don't burn from the bottom.
- Remove from oven and let cool. After about 5 minutes, remove the muffins from the pans and let them cool on a wire rack. You may frost them now or eat like that.
Tropical Fruit Salad
The tropical fruit salad is not just refreshing on a hot summer day, but it also elevates a simple...
Baby Banana Ice Cream
From 12 months. Not just because of dairy, but also because extra cold contents are not as easy to...
الوصفة بالعربي A traditional Palestinian feast on a plate... The flavours and aroma...
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.