Sweet & Sour Chicken with Jasmine Rice
By Alia El Askalany • October 1, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
This Sweet & Sour Chicken dish was tested in the CairoCooking kitchen and it turned out super delicious. Despite the different twist and the depth that the pomegranate molasses adds to the dish, we still found it absolutely perfect without it. To make ingredients even more simple, we decided to test the recipe with white sugar instead of brown, and it still turned out restaurant-quality perfect. What makes this chicken dish really special, is the simplicity of the ingredients yet the sophistication of the taste! This is Sweet & Sour Chicken at its best!
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com.
A staple Asian recipe that’s a favorite to many, and also super easy to whip up. I just added a little something to give it an oriental kick! Just add 1 1/2 tablespoon Pomegranate Molasses (دبس الرمان) to give it that tangy sticky feel.
- 4 piece chicken breast fillet - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/2 cup corn starch - نشا
- 1/4 cup vinegar - خل
- 4 tablespoon brown sugar - سكر بني
- 3 tablespoon ketchup - كاتشب
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/4 cup water - ماء
- 1/2 teaspoon chili sauce - الصوص حار
- 1 teaspoon salt (for the rice) - ملح
- 1 cup rice (choose Jasmine rice) - أرز
- 1 1/2 cup water - ماء
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk (optional for the rice) - لبن جوز الهند
- 11/2 tablespoon pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
Step by step
- Cut the chicken breasts into cubes and coat well with corn flour.
- In a pan, heat olive oil, then add the chicken cubes. Stir fry on all sides until golden (around 10 minutes).
- Add the vinegar, then ketchup, sugar and water.
- Mix well and leave to simmer on low heat until the sauce thickens. Add the pomegranate molasses.
- Add chili sauce right at the end and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes then remove from heat.
- For the rice, heat water with a bit of salt on high heat. When it boils, stir in the rice and cover. Leave to cook on a very low heat for 25 minutes without removing lid.
- Remove from heat, open lid, fluff it up with a fork and place it back on low heat for an additional ten minutes or until cooked through. Optional: you can add 1 tablespoon of coconut milk to make the rice sticky and give it that extra kick.
Annabell’s Famous Banana & Avocado Mix
From 7 months. This mixture made the infamous Annabella Karmel famous among all mothers. It is an...
Chicken Salad Sandwich with Dried Cranberries
For a hassle-free morning, prepare this creamy chicken-salad sandwich filler one day in advance...
Labna & Black Olives Sandwich Filler
This recipe is ideal for black olive lovers. It is perfect for the lunchbox, and it also makes a...
Honey Mustard Chicken
If you like easy and tasty chicken recipes, the Honey Mustard Chicken is what you are looking for. It’s flavorful and moist. This recipe does not require any onion chopping, which is always a great plus! Just make sure to leave the chicken in the marinade for an hour at least before cooking. This marinade […]
Indian Chicken with Spiced Yoghurt
Fragrant, moist and delicious, this Indian Spiced chicken dish will definitely impress. It is best served with Raita (spiced yoghurt) and Turmeric Basmati Rice. Garam Masala is an Indian Spice mix found in big supermarkets or at the عطار.
Asian Grilled Chicken Salad
This Asian Grilled Chicken Salad is easy, filling and super delicious. It is suitable as a side for the whole family or as a large main dish on its own. Enjoy its Asian flavors and the combination of crunchy veggies and moist yummy chicken.
Easy Creamy Mushroom Chicken
This Creamy Mushroom Chicken dish is easy to prepare and will always be a winner on your table. I like to serve it with white rice, steamed veggies and French fries (yes, not the lightest meal but the sauce tastes divine with the crispy fries). This meal is quick and fun – everyone enjoys.