Sweet & Sour Chicken with Jasmine Rice
By Alia El Askalany • October 1, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
This Sweet & Sour Chicken dish was tested in the CairoCooking kitchen and it turned out super delicious. Despite the different twist and the depth that the pomegranate molasses adds to the dish, we still found it absolutely perfect without it. To make ingredients even more simple, we decided to test the recipe with white sugar instead of brown, and it still turned out restaurant-quality perfect. What makes this chicken dish really special, is the simplicity of the ingredients yet the sophistication of the taste! This is Sweet & Sour Chicken at its best!
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com.
A staple Asian recipe that’s a favorite to many, and also super easy to whip up. I just added a little something to give it an oriental kick! Just add 1 1/2 tablespoon Pomegranate Molasses (دبس الرمان) to give it that tangy sticky feel.
- 4 piece chicken breast fillet - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/2 cup corn starch - نشا
- 1/4 cup vinegar - خل
- 4 tablespoon brown sugar - سكر بني
- 3 tablespoon ketchup - كاتشب
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/4 cup water - ماء
- 1/2 teaspoon chili sauce - الصوص حار
- 1 teaspoon salt (for the rice) - ملح
- 1 cup rice (choose Jasmine rice) - أرز
- 1 1/2 cup water - ماء
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk (optional for the rice) - لبن جوز الهند
- 11/2 tablespoon pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
Step by step
- Cut the chicken breasts into cubes and coat well with corn flour.
- In a pan, heat olive oil, then add the chicken cubes. Stir fry on all sides until golden (around 10 minutes).
- Add the vinegar, then ketchup, sugar and water.
- Mix well and leave to simmer on low heat until the sauce thickens. Add the pomegranate molasses.
- Add chili sauce right at the end and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes then remove from heat.
- For the rice, heat water with a bit of salt on high heat. When it boils, stir in the rice and cover. Leave to cook on a very low heat for 25 minutes without removing lid.
- Remove from heat, open lid, fluff it up with a fork and place it back on low heat for an additional ten minutes or until cooked through. Optional: you can add 1 tablespoon of coconut milk to make the rice sticky and give it that extra kick.
Coffee-Rubbed Beef Fillet Chunk
Yes, coffee! It's bitter, it creates a beautiful crust to the meat and most importantly the recipe...
Caramel Cheesecake Topped with Chocolate Shavings
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. Homemade rich...
Nutritious Freekeh with Chicken Dish
Extremely nutritious, freekeh is one of the healthiest grains. This grain can be easily cooked into...
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.
Mexican Chicken Fajitas
A platter of Mexican Chicken Fajitas served with tortillas, guacamole and sour cream is always a fun & filling meal for everyone on a weekday, and a big hit for casual friends’ get-togethers. It is easily prepared in 30 minutes and does not require fancy ingredients. For best results, marinate the chicken overnight.
Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Fillets
This roasted red pepper chicken recipe is just so easy and so yum! Ready in less than 30 minutes, this chicken dish is creamy and filling served next to rice. You can also shred the finished chicken and serve it along with its creamy sauce over cooked pasta. Your family and friends will definitely enjoy this […]