Sweet & Sour Chicken with Jasmine Rice
By Alia El Askalany • October 1, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
This Sweet & Sour Chicken dish was tested in the CairoCooking kitchen and it turned out super delicious. Despite the different twist and the depth that the pomegranate molasses adds to the dish, we still found it absolutely perfect without it. To make ingredients even more simple, we decided to test the recipe with white sugar instead of brown, and it still turned out restaurant-quality perfect. What makes this chicken dish really special, is the simplicity of the ingredients yet the sophistication of the taste! This is Sweet & Sour Chicken at its best!
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com.
A staple Asian recipe that’s a favorite to many, and also super easy to whip up. I just added a little something to give it an oriental kick! Just add 1 1/2 tablespoon Pomegranate Molasses (دبس الرمان) to give it that tangy sticky feel.
- 4 piece chicken breast fillet - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/2 cup corn starch - نشا
- 1/4 cup vinegar - خل
- 4 tablespoon brown sugar - سكر بني
- 3 tablespoon ketchup - كاتشب
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/4 cup water - ماء
- 1/2 teaspoon chili sauce - الصوص حار
- 1 teaspoon salt (for the rice) - ملح
- 1 cup rice (choose Jasmine rice) - أرز
- 1 1/2 cup water - ماء
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk (optional for the rice) - لبن جوز الهند
- 11/2 tablespoon pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
Step by step
- Cut the chicken breasts into cubes and coat well with corn flour.
- In a pan, heat olive oil, then add the chicken cubes. Stir fry on all sides until golden (around 10 minutes).
- Add the vinegar, then ketchup, sugar and water.
- Mix well and leave to simmer on low heat until the sauce thickens. Add the pomegranate molasses.
- Add chili sauce right at the end and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes then remove from heat.
- For the rice, heat water with a bit of salt on high heat. When it boils, stir in the rice and cover. Leave to cook on a very low heat for 25 minutes without removing lid.
- Remove from heat, open lid, fluff it up with a fork and place it back on low heat for an additional ten minutes or until cooked through. Optional: you can add 1 tablespoon of coconut milk to make the rice sticky and give it that extra kick.
Grilled Veggies & Goat Cheese Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
Nutrient-dense and antioxidant-rich delicious salad with a mix of grilled vegetables,...
Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower Bake
From 9 months. This is a perfect broccoli - cauliflower mix recipe to introduce your baby to...
Farmer’s Brunch Omelet
Last time I was visiting Germany, I ate this amazing Bauernkartoffeleier – an omelet specialty of...
Roast Beef with Almond, Hazel & Pine Nuts Sauce
Recipe submitted by Rasha ElBaramawy. The roast beef dressed in this low fat nutty sauce is delicious served with steamed rice and broccoli.
Mongolian Beef Strips
The Mongolian Beef Strips dish is a favorite at any Chinese restaurant. This is a simplified recipe to achieving it at home. It is a perfect home cooked meal to serve with white rice and a yummy Asian-style salad (check our selection). In this recipe we do not deep fry the beef strips, but it […]
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.