Sweet & Sour Chicken with Jasmine Rice
By Alia El Askalany • October 1, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
This Sweet & Sour Chicken dish was tested in the CairoCooking kitchen and it turned out super delicious. Despite the different twist and the depth that the pomegranate molasses adds to the dish, we still found it absolutely perfect without it. To make ingredients even more simple, we decided to test the recipe with white sugar instead of brown, and it still turned out restaurant-quality perfect. What makes this chicken dish really special, is the simplicity of the ingredients yet the sophistication of the taste! This is Sweet & Sour Chicken at its best!
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com.
A staple Asian recipe that’s a favorite to many, and also super easy to whip up. I just added a little something to give it an oriental kick! Just add 1 1/2 tablespoon Pomegranate Molasses (دبس الرمان) to give it that tangy sticky feel.
- 4 piece chicken breast fillet - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/2 cup corn starch - نشا
- 1/4 cup vinegar - خل
- 4 tablespoon brown sugar - سكر بني
- 3 tablespoon ketchup - كاتشب
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/4 cup water - ماء
- 1/2 teaspoon chili sauce - الصوص حار
- 1 teaspoon salt (for the rice) - ملح
- 1 cup rice (choose Jasmine rice) - أرز
- 1 1/2 cup water - ماء
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk (optional for the rice) - لبن جوز الهند
- 11/2 tablespoon pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
Step by step
- Cut the chicken breasts into cubes and coat well with corn flour.
- In a pan, heat olive oil, then add the chicken cubes. Stir fry on all sides until golden (around 10 minutes).
- Add the vinegar, then ketchup, sugar and water.
- Mix well and leave to simmer on low heat until the sauce thickens. Add the pomegranate molasses.
- Add chili sauce right at the end and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes then remove from heat.
- For the rice, heat water with a bit of salt on high heat. When it boils, stir in the rice and cover. Leave to cook on a very low heat for 25 minutes without removing lid.
- Remove from heat, open lid, fluff it up with a fork and place it back on low heat for an additional ten minutes or until cooked through. Optional: you can add 1 tablespoon of coconut milk to make the rice sticky and give it that extra kick.
Simple 6 Layer Salad
A healthy and filling salad you can prepare with whatever you have in your kitchen and munch on...
Pumpkin Mini Muffins
Recipe in Arabic مافين القرع العسلي These super yummy pumpkin muffins are one of...
Not your traditional Fatta dish, this Chicken Shawerma Fatta will definitely impress the crowd,...
Chicken & Chickpea Fatta
Flavourful chicken slices and lemony chickpeas are served over a bed of sumac-seasoned crispy bread and covered with a rich garlicky yoghurt-tahini sauce. This is an easy yet super tasty version of everyone’s favourite fatta. For best results, make sure the yoghurt is at room temperature before assembling the dish. This will ensure that the […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]