Sweet & Sour Chicken with Jasmine Rice
By Alia El Askalany • October 1, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
This Sweet & Sour Chicken dish was tested in the CairoCooking kitchen and it turned out super delicious. Despite the different twist and the depth that the pomegranate molasses adds to the dish, we still found it absolutely perfect without it. To make ingredients even more simple, we decided to test the recipe with white sugar instead of brown, and it still turned out restaurant-quality perfect. What makes this chicken dish really special, is the simplicity of the ingredients yet the sophistication of the taste! This is Sweet & Sour Chicken at its best!
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com.
A staple Asian recipe that’s a favorite to many, and also super easy to whip up. I just added a little something to give it an oriental kick! Just add 1 1/2 tablespoon Pomegranate Molasses (دبس الرمان) to give it that tangy sticky feel.
- 4 piece chicken breast fillet - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/2 cup corn starch - نشا
- 1/4 cup vinegar - خل
- 4 tablespoon brown sugar - سكر بني
- 3 tablespoon ketchup - كاتشب
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/4 cup water - ماء
- 1/2 teaspoon chili sauce - الصوص حار
- 1 teaspoon salt (for the rice) - ملح
- 1 cup rice (choose Jasmine rice) - أرز
- 1 1/2 cup water - ماء
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk (optional for the rice) - لبن جوز الهند
- 11/2 tablespoon pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
Step by step
- Cut the chicken breasts into cubes and coat well with corn flour.
- In a pan, heat olive oil, then add the chicken cubes. Stir fry on all sides until golden (around 10 minutes).
- Add the vinegar, then ketchup, sugar and water.
- Mix well and leave to simmer on low heat until the sauce thickens. Add the pomegranate molasses.
- Add chili sauce right at the end and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes then remove from heat.
- For the rice, heat water with a bit of salt on high heat. When it boils, stir in the rice and cover. Leave to cook on a very low heat for 25 minutes without removing lid.
- Remove from heat, open lid, fluff it up with a fork and place it back on low heat for an additional ten minutes or until cooked through. Optional: you can add 1 tablespoon of coconut milk to make the rice sticky and give it that extra kick.
Mustard & Rosemary Roasted Beef Fillet
This is such an easy recipe that it became a staple in our homes. The meat turns out tender...
Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Fillets
This roasted red pepper chicken recipe is just so easy and so yum! Ready in less than 30 minutes,...
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super...
Steak Frites with Mustard Sauce
Steak Frites is a French comfort dish… Always a crowd pleaser, especially when elegantly served with creamy mustard sauce on the side. Absolutely delicious!!
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]