Stir-Fried Garlic & Ginger Bok Choy
By yasmine • March 29, 2015
Bok Choi to me was a scary cabbage that I didn’t know how to use or add to my salads since it has this tangy bitter taste – however discovering that it is a nutritious Asian ingredient – I learned that I can just incorporate it in any Asian chicken or barbecue meat dish or as a side dish and be confident it is a great addition in colour, texture and nutritional value! It is a great source of anti-oxidant, Vitamin A and Vitamin C with less than 13 calories per 100g.
Note that stir-frying lettuce decreases the amount significantly since it looses all the water and the natural curve of the green.
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (OR olive oil) - زيت السمسم
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (chopped) - جنزبيل
- 3 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1–2 teaspoon red chili pepper (chopped) - فلفل أحمر حار
- 1 tablespoon green onion (chopped - optional) - بصل أخضر
- 4 cup bok choy (cut in large chunks) - الملفوف الصيني / باك تشوي
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce - صوص الصويا
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce - صوص السمك التايلاندي
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar - سكر بني
- black pepper - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- Heat the oil and throw in the ginger, garlic, red chilli peppers and green onions. Let them sizzle for 5 minutes then add the bok choy.
- Stir the mix thoroughly until the bok choy starts darkening, add the soy and fish sauce followed by brown sugar and give it another stir until sugar melts in the mix.
- Take it off the heat – make sure the bok choy stems still have a mild crunch and still light green. Serve the whole mix (including ginger & chili) in a small bowl and grind some fresh black pepper on top.
- You can also add some toasted sesame or cashews at the end before taking it off the stove for a nutty crunch.
Lovely Lentils Simplified
From 9 months. The infamous Annabella Karmel came up with a toddler lentils recipe that is very...
Fennel & Potato Soup – the ultimate winter warm up!
The warmth of the potato creaminess and the crispiness of the fennel as well as its subtle...
Sun-dried Tomato Hummus with Basil
Everyone's favourite hummus dip, only a lot tastier with yummy sundried tomatoes and fragrant...
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Egyptian Roasted Cauliflower
الوصفة بالعربي If you love the traditional Egyptian fried cauliflower, you will fall in love with this roasted version. Same taste, only healthier!
Zucchini Noodles with Pesto Sauce
This Zucchini Noodles recipe is amazing for kids as it gives them the feel of eating noodles not zucchini! It can also be a big hit in a small gathering. I personally love it because it is healthy and incredibly easy to prepare .
Broccoli Salad with Honey-Glazed Walnuts
Vibrant, fresh and nutritious, this Broccoli Salad will be your new favourite vegetable/salad dish for everyday as well as for fancy dinner parties. It is very simple yet full of mouthwatering flavors and colors. The delicious addition of honey-glazed walnuts elevates the salad into something absolutely elegant. This salad was inspired by a simple recipe […]