Stir-Fried Garlic & Ginger Bok Choy
By yasmine • March 29, 2015
Bok Choi to me was a scary cabbage that I didn’t know how to use or add to my salads since it has this tangy bitter taste – however discovering that it is a nutritious Asian ingredient – I learned that I can just incorporate it in any Asian chicken or barbecue meat dish or as a side dish and be confident it is a great addition in colour, texture and nutritional value! It is a great source of anti-oxidant, Vitamin A and Vitamin C with less than 13 calories per 100g.
Note that stir-frying lettuce decreases the amount significantly since it looses all the water and the natural curve of the green.
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (OR olive oil) - زيت السمسم
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (chopped) - جنزبيل
- 3 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1–2 teaspoon red chili pepper (chopped) - فلفل أحمر حار
- 1 tablespoon green onion (chopped - optional) - بصل أخضر
- 4 cup bok choy (cut in large chunks) - الملفوف الصيني / باك تشوي
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce - صوص الصويا
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce - صوص السمك التايلاندي
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar - سكر بني
- black pepper - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- Heat the oil and throw in the ginger, garlic, red chilli peppers and green onions. Let them sizzle for 5 minutes then add the bok choy.
- Stir the mix thoroughly until the bok choy starts darkening, add the soy and fish sauce followed by brown sugar and give it another stir until sugar melts in the mix.
- Take it off the heat – make sure the bok choy stems still have a mild crunch and still light green. Serve the whole mix (including ginger & chili) in a small bowl and grind some fresh black pepper on top.
- You can also add some toasted sesame or cashews at the end before taking it off the stove for a nutty crunch.
Meat Goulash (Egyptian Beef Filo Pie)
The meat goulash is such a traditional dish in Egypt and the south part of the Mediterranean. You...
Guacamole: Chunky Avocado Spread & Dip
الوصفة بالعربي This avocado dip is chunky and full of flavour! It can stay up to 2...
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It's a...
Green Pea Salad with Mint & Feta
Using simple ingredients, you can create this special and good-for-you Green Pea Salad in no time. Fresh with the greens, fragrant with the mint and full of flavour, this salad makes a great vegetarian option on hot summer days. I love to serve it with grilled steak, the combination of flavours are irresistible. However you […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Indian Chicken with Spiced Yoghurt
Fragrant, moist and delicious, this Indian Spiced chicken dish will definitely impress. It is best served with Raita (spiced yoghurt) and Turmeric Basmati Rice. Garam Masala is an Indian Spice mix found in big supermarkets or at the عطار.
Cucumber and Chickpea Herb Salad
Hearty and delicious, this easy-to-put-together Cucumber & Chickpea Salad will be your new go-to salad for your family & friends. It is super healthy and works as a scrumptious side dish to your grilled protein when you are looking for a filling carb-like option.