Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
By yasmine • May 13, 2020
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite.
The tomato sauce suggested is not a must here – its just an added flavour and texture if you want to impress in a gathering.
The stuffing and the liquid released from chicken while cooking is enough to keep it nice and moist. It also helps the chicken remain juicy and tender if you reheat it the next day.
- 5 piece chicken breast fillet (about 1kg) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 2 tablespoon oregano (or thyme) - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 small onion (diced) - بصلة
- 2 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 400 gram spinach - سبانخ
- 100 gram buffalo mozzarella (or shredded mozzarella or cheddar) - جبنة موزاريلا جاموسي
- pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 3 tomatoes (peeled & diced) - طماطم
- 4 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
Step by step
- First use a sharp knife to cut an incision horizentally into the thicker area of the fillets.
- Place the cut fillets in a bowl & marinate with garlic powder, oregano, lime zest, salt & pepper. Make sure to rub the inside of the chicken as well. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan. Pan-fry the chicken breasts on both sides on medium/high heat just to get some color on them (about 7-8 minutes). Set aside.
- In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil (if needed) and fry the diced onion for a couple of minutes before adding the minced garlic.
- Add spinach, nutmeg and salt & pepper. Stir all together for a couple of minutes. Take it off the heat. Stir in the mozzarella while the spinach is still hot.
- Use your hand to hold the opening of the chicken, and a tablespoon to stuff the chicken with the spinach mozzarella mix (about 3 full tablespoons for each chicken fillet).
- Organize chicken fillets in oven tray (that you can use to serve too), cover with foil, and place it in a 180C preheated oven for 20 minutes until cooked through. Uncover the foil half way through.
- In the meantime, you can prepare a tomato sauce for the chicken. Heat olive oil, and pan fry garlic for a couple of minutes (make sure it doesn't darken).
- Tip in the diced tomatoes with all the juices. Season with salt & pepper and bring it to a boil.
- Lower heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes until thickened.
- Base the cooked chicken with its own juices and serve it hot in its oven tray. You can squeeze some lime juice on it or drizzle the tomato sauce.
Spinach & Cheese Pie
The Spinach and Cheese Pie is crispy from the outside and smooth(almost creamy) from the inside...
Easy Vegetable Stir-Fry
If you are bored of daily vegetable dishes, this easy vegetable stir fry is what you are looking...
Asian Grilled Chicken Salad
This Asian Grilled Chicken Salad is easy, filling and super delicious. It is suitable as a side for...
Chicken Waldorf salad
This no-mayo Chicken Waldorf Salad is light, delicious and so refreshing… It is also the perfect way to use leftover chicken! The classic American salad uses fresh red grapes, but we love using dried cranberries instead.
Yummy Oat Pancakes served with dates and bananas, and generously drizzled with a tahini-molasses syrup… this is a healthy and nutritious way to start your day.
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy. The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also […]